Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

I Plan to Stick Around

I posted here because I am on the firmware trial. With the problems I have been having with Coda and my Pixel XL It was suggested to me to get a Router. Thanks though.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yes, the multitude of threads can be confusing.

This thread was to announce the firmware trial, and provide instructions to sign up.

Then, a separate thread was setup to capture feedback & issues on the firmware (as well as track the changes in each version); http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

Then, because the CODA was dominating that feedback thread, and posts about CGN modems were getting lost in the conversation, a separate thread was created just for the CODA; http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3928...

Thus, to get the proper focus on your issue with the CODA, that's the link I posted in my previous post.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hucklebury wrote:

hello there

I have my new asus ac 1900 P now up and running. Should I set the IPV6 to native? I also have noticed a couple times,,, first thing in the morning the internet service would be a snails pace and have to reboot Coda and Asus to get the speeds back. It was so slow at one point the speed test site timed out?????

@Hucklebury here are the settings for Asus Routers: 

Rogers IPv6 Settings for ASUS routers

In the Advanced Setup / IPv6 menu:

• Internet Connection Type: Native
  • DHCP-PD: Enable
  • Auto Configuration Settings: Stateless
  • Connect to DNS Server automatically: Enable
  • Enable Router Advertisement: Enable

As for your degrading speed issues: are you on a CODA Gateway with Black DOT? did you factory reset the CODA then put it into bridge mode? and is the ASUS running the latest firmware? 

Did these issues start after adding the Asus Router, or have you had these issues before?

I Plan to Stick Around

I am on Coda with black dot, it was factory reset and the Asus is up to date. I have never seen this problem before. I have noticed in the firewall settings on the Asus there is a section there for IPV6 FOR "famous server list." I have it blank right now. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also have Nat and UNPN enabled under the wan setting.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

disable upnp, also make sure Cut Through Forwarding (CTF) is enabled/auto and not disabled. Some times turning on QOS can disable CTF. 

Also when you experience slow downs, plug a PC directly into the back of the CODA Modem and run some speed tests to see if it's still slow. This will rule out the CODA or ASUS.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks,

I have now disabled UPNP and CTF was ok set at auto.

When I factory reset the Coda I still went through the motions of setting up the connection, wifi and such. Then I put it in Bridge mode. I assume that is the way to do it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hucklebury wrote:

Thanks,

I have now disabled UPNP and CTF was ok set at auto.

When I factory reset the Coda I still went through the motions of setting up the connection, wifi and such. Then I put it in Bridge mode. I assume that is the way to do it.

@Hucklebury Yup you still have to do that initial setup, then you can turn "Residential Gateway Function: OFF"

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok thanks
One last thing I need to know.
I kept using the same ssid and passwords. Is that ok to do?
Also I am not sure on the firewall setting for IP6 for famous server settings
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hucklebury you can keep using the same SSIDs and passphrases.  Just make sure that they are long enough and random enough to be secure.  Personal opinion, they should both be random and long enough to fill both fields, 32 characters for the SSID and 63 or 64 characters for the passphrase.  Entering a long passphrase into a phone or ipod, etc can be a bit of a pain, but, it will be secure.  You can use the following page to generate secure SSIDs and passphrases:

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Refreshing the page will result in new character strings.

Just to note, you don't have to enable IPV6.  You can keep it disabled and run IPV4 only if you determine that IPV6 is still causing problems for your local network.  If so, disable IPV6 and after that setting is complete, log back into the router and reboot it.  

Ensure that the IPV6 firewall is enabled.  On the IPV6 settings tab, if you disable, the setting to "Connect to DNS Server automatically" that brings up a secondary set of entry windows to enter an IPV6 DNS server.  At that point you can enter something else such as Google or OpenDNS.

The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:

2001:4860:4860::8888

2001:4860:4860::8844

The OpenDNS IPv6 Sandbox IPs are:

2620:0:ccc::2

2620:0:ccd::2

On the Advanced Settings WAN tab, if you disable the:

Connect to DNS Server automatically: (set to no) ,  you can also enter the DNS server of your choice:

Open DNS

Google

Note that with the Broadcom based Asus router, there are other functions that can automatically disable the NAT Acceleration (CTF), possibly without warning.  These include any form of Traffic monitoring, where the CPU has to do something with the data before it exits the router.  You would know right away as the throughput speeds with the NAT Accelaration disabled would drop to somewhere around 250 Mb/s.  

The AI Protection doesn't hurt the IPV4 throughput, but, from my observations, it will drop the IPV6 throughput.  So, that is another reason why you might not want to run IPV6 if in fact you want to use the AI Protection, which is what I do for now, use AI protection and disable IPV6.  

Fwiw, I was running a few tests yesterday with stateful IPV6 enabled and ended up with pingtest failure after about 5 minutes of running the pingtest.  Thats more than a little unusual, so, if you decide to use IPV6, either stateless or stateful, keep an eye out for possible IPV6 problems, specifically issues with your cell phones, or problems accessing google or yahoo sites.