Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

The Rogers Community Forums has always played an important role in providing important feedback regarding our products and services. We are excited to offer our users an opportunity to participate in a trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACSMR, CGN3ACR and CGN3AMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). This program is exclusive to registered users of the Rogers Community Forums (space is limited).

The new firmware includes the following features and enhancements:

• IPv6 enabled by default
  • Security enhancements
  • Fix to preserve LAN connectivity in case of HFC outage or loss of signal
  • Addition of Wi-Fi Survey functionality
  • Improved stability of WPS function
  • Improved Wi-Fi performance
  • Various minor GUI changes and improvements

If you are interested in participating, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps with the subject line “Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial”.  A member of our team will be in contact with you and provide you with further instructions.

We’re keen to receive feedback on this new firmware. Once you've received the new firmware, please provide your feedback directly in the FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial thread. 

Questions regarding this program can be posted below.

***Please note - you must be a registered user of the Rogers Community Forums in order to participate.  To register, please follow these steps.***

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

625 REPLIES 625

Re: Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

lolzors
I've been around

Can someone please explain why my 3552 is till on 4.5.8.19? Constant disconnections, contacted tech supoport requested and update to at least 4.5.8.21, no update of course. Trying to get the beta, still no update. I'm 24 hours from dumping Rogers. Gigabit not worth it if it doesn't work.

@lolzors have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for instructions on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

When you are sending the private message as indicated in that post, also log into your modem and copy the HFC MAC address and modem Serial number and paste that into the message.  The HFC MAC Address and modem Serial Number can be found on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem.  The Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N can also be found on the back of the modem.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@RogersDave Any updates on how well testing is going for 4.5.8.25?

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

@RogersDave Any updates on how well testing is going for 4.5.8.25?

Eddiethefunnyon,

At the moment, firmware 4.5.8.25 is on hold. We have identified some issues that are preventing us from deploying it on a larger scale. We are working with Hitron on the next iteration at the moment.

I will post the details in message #2 of the feedback thread.

Dave

Rogers has started pushing out the 4.5.8.22 firmware so is there any need for the beta ?

@lethalsniper wrote:
Rogers has started pushing out the 4.5.8.22 firmware so is there any need for the beta ?

The firmware 4.5.8.22T3 is currently being deployed on CGN3ACSMR modems. The deployment should be completed in the next few days. Deployment is not yet scheduled for other models.

For subscribers with a CGN3ACSMR, if you are requesting the trial strictly to fix a Chromecast issue, it is probably better to wait until you receive it as part of the normal deployment.

If you want to test the latest and greatest firmware that we have available (we are expecting a new firmware in the coming days), then there is still value in registering for this trial.

What about the 3552 modem ?

@lethalsniper wrote:
What about the 3552 modem ?

The CGNM-3552 currently runs in production with either 4.5.8.19 or 4.5.8.21.

On that modem, in order to obtain 4.5.8.22T3, you currently need to be part of the firmware trial program.

Where ?

@lethalsniper have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for instructions on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

When you are sending the private message as indicated in that post, also log into your modem and copy the HFC MAC address and modem Serial number and paste that into the message. The HFC MAC Address and modem Serial Number can be found on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem. The Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N can also be found on the back of the modem.

With the beta firmware does it fix some latency on the Rogers ignite modem 3552 ? How is the new Rogers ignite modem 3552 compare to the rocket modem ? I find the wifi is weaker

Shakiyl
I've been around

I'm experiencing this issue with the Chromecast so I was directed to contact you from the Chromecast support team to get the firmware update.

@Shakiyl, have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for instructions on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22.

When you are sending the private message as indicated in that post, also log into your modem and copy the HFC MAC address and modem Serial number and paste that into the message. The HFC MAC Address and modem Serial Number can be found on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem. The Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N can also be found on the back of the modem.

rajan55
I've been here awhile

Thanks. after the upgrade this weekend i can now have full chromecast functionality.

I'm having some weird issue since the firmware 22. Has been released by rogers. All things work except my laptop on wireless always gets disconnected every 2 min. The funny thing is I brought the same laptop to my sisters house and it works perfect with no disconnection issues at all the thing I notice she has the cgn3 modem with a firmware that ends with .7 , what I find weird is never had any issue with the .21 firmware

@lethalsniper, did you have a look for a secondary beacon running on the modem as I indicated in the DSLReports thread?

What version of windows are you running on the laptop?  Windows 10 Anniversay Update by any chance?

Sorry but I'm not a computer genius lol. Umm it's windows 10 , how can I find out if I have a second beacon., but with the 22 firmware what has changed

If you load and run inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring program, it will display all of the networks that it can receive and interpret.  The display will show in text and graphics form, all of those networks.  If there is a second beacon running, you will see it on both displays, running on the same channel as your network, but the text display will allow you to see the MAC address of the transmitting modem.  That MAC address will be the same except for the last two right hand digits.

This is the last free version of inSSIDer which won't show the 802.11ac networks running in the 5 Ghz band.  The newer licenced versions will.  For the purposes of this discussion, this version will do the job.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

The problem with the secondary beacon is recent, having arrived with firmware updates to the modems.  

And.....its possible that with .22 loaded, you now have IPv6 up and running, whereas before its possible that IPv6 wasn't available.  That brings up the possibility of other problems as it appears that Microsoft has made changes to the network part of Windows 10.  Those changes appear to break IPv6 in some cases.  So, it comes down to a question of, is this a modem issue with the secondary beacon running, or a Microsoft Windows 10 IPV6 issue which is now seen due to the modem update to .22 and the enabling of IPv6 across the network by Rogers.  Maybe its a combination of both.  

Here is one thing you can try, and that is to disable IPV6 in the laptop.  You will have to be in the Admin account to do this.  Navigate to START .... CONTROL PANEL .... NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER .... CHANGE ADAPTER SETTINGS (left hand side).  That brings up the Network Connections panel.  Right click on the Wifi or Ethenet adapter, and select Properties on the bottom of the menu.  That brings up the Wifi or Ethernet properties panel, depending on your original choice.  Scroll down to the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) selection.  Uncheck the box on the left hand side.  Hit OK at the bottom and then close all of the windows.  Reboot the laptop.  When the reboot is complete, bring up a command prompt with Admin access and type in the following:

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/flushdns

ipconfig/renew

That should ensure that there is no IPv6 dns address in the cache and that any remaining IPv6 IP addresses are removed.  Now the laptop is operating with IPV4 only, as it has been prior to the enabling of IPV6 across the network and the update to .22.  Its still possible that the beacon issue is causing issues and its still possible that there is a Windows 10 problem on the go, but removing IPV4 might resolve some of this.  

Have a go at that and see how it turns out. 

Okay but what I can't get is when firmware 21 was firmware of modem I had no issues what has changed with 22? And like I said before no issues with sisters cgn3 modem. And it also does this when modem in bridge mode when using my own router

okay i have downloaded inssider what do i do from there , what am i looking for

With inSSIDer running, look at your network on both the text and graphics display.  If you're running a 2.4 Ghz network, look for another network at or even slight above the level that your network is displayed at.  Thats on the graphics display.  Then, look at the text portion of the display.  Sort the display by power level, by selecting the column title "Signal"  That will sort all of the networks based on their received power.  It should park your network and the hidden SSID network together.  There should be a selection at the upper left hand side, Physical and Logical.  The display is probably set for Logical, which shows the SSIDs of the networks.  If you flip the selection to Physical, it will show the MAC id's.  If you look at the MAC addresses of your network and the hidden SSID network, the MAC id's will be the same, except for the last two digits.  That's really the tell-tale sign that the modem is transmitting a secondary beacon.  

You can also take a screen shot, dump that into Microsoft Paint, wipe out your MAC address from the display,save it and then add it to a post so that I can have a look at it.  

Edit;  Here is a good example of this.   Have a look at the following tread:

Have a look at the post by @MrAureliusR.  His 2.4 Ghz network has an SSID of Kwangmyong.  Look just below that and you can see a hidden SSID network running on Channel 8 as well.  That is what you should be looking for, a high power hidden SSID network, very close to or even above the power level of your own network.