Rogers Removed Parent Control from Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Removed Parent Control from Modem

If someone's child got harmed or killed because parental control was disabled would be one reason why they would go to court. The court battle would come after such an ordeal, not before.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Something like that, would get laughed out of court, in my opinion.

I do understand what you are trying to say.. and i am all for protecting the children in that way (i have a 2.5 year old son, whos internet will be HEAVILY restricted).

But in the end, they would not be heald liable.
Those things are an EXTRA feature... up until the gateways, rogers only provided MODEMS.  They had no control over anything in those means.

While i agree, that rogers should HELP by providing those tools, its up to the PERSON to monitor the content.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello, I have just acquired the hitron modem. You mentioned on a previous message you would be able to help a concerned parent to set up parental controls. Would you please tell me how?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi, 

Are you running a modem only, in Gateway mode, or do you have the modem running in Bridge mode with a router behind it?  If you only have a modem, try this.  Plug in the USB setup key that came with the modem and start the program.  From what I remember, and its been a long time, that has parental controls on it, that are not found on the modem itself.  Personal opinion, I never advise anyone to use that setup key.  I tried it once and ended up with an unserviceable modem, but, the modems are included in the rates, so if you end up with any issues down the road, all you have to do is turn it in and receive another one.  So, give the USB setup key a try, despite my misgivings about it.

My personal opinion on parental controls is to buy a router that has that feature built into the firmware.  I have an Asus RT-AC68U router that has that feature.  As the firmware for the Asus routers is pretty consistent, router to router, you might want to consider going that route.  Just to show what this looks like, have a look at the following user control simulator from Asus. 

http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080/index.asp

Navigate to AiProtection....Parental Controls to see what the Asus Parental Controls look like.  That might give you some ideas of what you prefer to use.

I Plan to Stick Around

Here's an option that is free!  Pay attention to what your children are doing on the internet.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your suggestion. We already do! We pay attention to waht they do but they still sneak to websites we don't want them to when they are supposed to be doing "homework." No one can just hover 24/7 over their children.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@safetyneeded wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion. We already do! We pay attention to waht they do but they still sneak to websites we don't want them to when they are supposed to be doing "homework." No one can just hover 24/7 over their children.

Most/all of the rogers gateways.. are VERY limited in what they can do of parental controls... about on par with the real cheap 3rd party routers.

The only real settings which can be done on it, are inside the modem settings.

You will need to log into the modem.. then go to the security tab.

I beleive all it can do there.. is KEYWORD filter.. which will block sites which contain those words..  no specific URLS.

Under device filter.. i beleive you can do some BASIC allow/not allow PERIOD, not sure how much broken down it can be.

As Datalink mentioned.. you really need to have a higher end router, which has more advanced blocking features to do more.  (like some of them, for a particual device, you get a block out of 24 hours.. and can check off the only ones you want them allowed to have)

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I just got my internet 100/10 installed yesterday and I have been trying to access parental control to block access of kids at a certain time at night. Nothing happened. I transferred from a different company and I had it all in there. I was able to block kids use of internet at night. I hope Rogers can come up with this solution.
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@nyangwrya As was discussed earlier in the thread there is no solution for ROGERS to come up with. The feature is not included in the modems, so you'll have to follow one of the suggestions mentioned in the other posts.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I am confused by the statement that you can't work with the parental controls - I have the most recent modem and it came with a rogers version of Cisco Connects, which manages the parental controls, the guest account and a couple of other things.

Without a doubt, it is very limited in its capabilities - if you want true high quality, less intrusive parental controls, you will get that in higher end routers, with logging functions, or via software alternatives, but you should be able to do the basic parental controls as well as guest account with the Cisco Connect key - and yes it works on hitron too.

Bruce