Rogers Reduced my Internet Allowance Without my Permission

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Reduced my Internet Allowance Without my Permission

RogersHassam,

I am using the Rogers provided router which is a wireless router. I did have a Rogers technician at my home several times to 'optimize' my service and he did all the tricks to provide the best services he could. In the end I still never reach the 60 / 10 speeds promised and that O have been paying for over the years. If Rogers cannot deliver, then why do I pay?

My main issue right now is the reduction of my allowance from 270Gb down to only 200Gb. I have been told that this issue has been escalated and I should expect news in a few days. That was a few days ago and still nothing from Rogers.

Hassam, are you authorized to do anything positive for me? If not, then I need to connect with comeone who can. No offense, but I have been in touch with rirst-line reps like yourself for years and the results have not been favourable.

This is all very tiresome, tedious and unproductive.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am using the supplied Rogers router in wireless mode. My lkaptop is a Lenovo and has wf-ifi builtin.
I Plan to Stick Around

Seems Rogers disagrees and I am still out of luck

I Plan to Stick Around

Can anyone help me to turn off the email notifications for this thread? I don't really need to receive emails for 'badges' and posts and would like them to stop.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To change  your subscription settings, click on your image by your name (near where the notification icons are), and go to subscription settings.

Should be able to manage your subscription to thread settings, as well as general notification settings there as well.

------------------

Have you/are you able to do any of the testing on a WIRED connection?
While not convienent.. just want to verify if the speed tests are just limited to a wireless problem.
(Wired usually there is a very smaller chance of interfearance, etc to effect the speed).
Just to verify if the modem itself is able to get the speeds.

Where roughly are you located? (rough city/area)
Just to guide you to the best server to do your speed test against, again to see if the modem is capable of the speeds.
(as you would not necessarily get the full speed everywhere)

(all that being said.. still could be a node or something else issue.. but lets elminate everything else first)

--------------------

As for your package.. the reps here SOMETIMES are able to do a little more from my experience, compared to say what the first line people on the phone can.

Try giving a message to @CommunityHelps, and point them to this thread.  That is the account they use for accesssing the information on your account.  They will likely send you a link to a thing for your account information, etc, so they can look up your account.

I Plan to Stick Around

Have you/are you able to do any of the testing on a WIRED connection?

A: No, I have been using wireless exclusively as the modem install by Rogers is not very accessable.

Where roughly are you located? (rough city/area)

A: I am in Ottawa, Ontario located in the Hunt Club area.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IF you are able to at some point.. if you could try wired.. JUST agin to check if the speed is capable at the modem.
The wireless on these units are... medeocre?  They are about on-par with your $30-50 range routers.
The antenna strength, etc is not the greatest.. and can easily get interfearance 😞
Walls.. let alone anything else (metal ibeams/studs/piping), microwaves, cordless phones, etc.. can all effect it..

(most of us here.. who really want to get the BEST  performance out of the unit, usually use a 3rd part router with the rogers modem.  People are able to get clost to their 250mbps connection over wireless.. so the modem is capable of the speed at least with them)

Speed test wise.. which one is it recomending you to test with?
Looking at the speedtest.net.. the closest one its saying is Kanata?  I am wondering if that is not the best choice.. while closer.. it may route to somewhere else, then back there, causing a drop.  
I know Kitchener/waterloo is that way.. they have two servers there, the routing actually goes from K/W to toronto, then back to reach those servers.. so they are better testing at the toronto servers.

I would maybe try the two kitchener servers, as well as the Toronto Telus server.. just to see if any difference on the speed tests.

(sorry, being only a USER here.. i cant do anything much more to help.. other than make sure that tesing is done under the optimal settings, help identify if signal levels, etc could be an issue, etc)

I Plan to Stick Around

I have since discussed my issue with Rogers and in the end there is nothing to be done. My service level and price remain unchanged and I will have to watch my internet usage to ensure I do not exceed my allotment. . I could of course upgrade, but that increases my monthly bill considerably and that doesn't interest me in the least.

My 'deal' expires in July 2017 at which point I will have to see what is on offer or decide to seek service elsewhere. Having been a continuous Rogers customer since 1982 it would be a shame to have to leave, but it is what it is. Thanks everyone your the comments and feedback......cheers.