Rogers Online Protection on Windows 10?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: Rogers Online Protection on Windows 10?

@chrism22 wrote:

I just updated my PC to the Windows 10 Creators Update via the Update Assistant and upon bootup I saw that my Rogers Online Protection did not work because of a service called "vsserv.exe" did not stay running which did not allow Rogers Online Protection to work. I tried to manually start the service but it only stopped itself a few seconds after. I rolled-back my version of Windows to get ROP working again. Will there be an update that will fix this soon?

You must install Rogers Online Protection Basic using Rogers Hi-Speed Internet.
Your PC must meet these minimum requirements:

Microsoft Windows XP SP3 (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows Vista SP2 (32 and 64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 (32 and 64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 8 (32 and 64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 10 (32 and 64-bit)

1 GHz processor or higher

1 GB of RAM (1.5 GB for Windows Vista, 7 and 😎

1.8 GB of free hard disk space

Removal of other antivirus software

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7+ or Mozilla Firefox 3.6+

Not compatible with Apple computers.

You may try uninstalling the online protection before upgrading Windows, then reinstall afterwards. Even some software such as printer/scanner software may require this method or else old info may get locked into the registry making it almost impossible to get things working again. Windows used to run a capability test for your drivers etc. before upgrading but they don't seem to anymore.

Brian

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I seem to have a conflict between the Rogers security software and windows 10.  Every time I start the computer I get a "Turn on windows firewall" notification.  Anyone know how to deal with this?

Highlighted

Hello, @gregneff

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. Such security-related notifications are definitely bothersome. Which version of the Rogers Online Protection are you using?

The Firewall feature is available with the Premium version. For the Basic version, you have to turn on the Windows Firewall. 

Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm using the Basic version.  However, I can't turn on the firewall in Windows Firewall, because Windows Firewall says the settings are being managed by Rogers Online Protection Firewall.  I can't find anything specifically related to the firewall in the Rogers Online Protection settings.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gregneff wrote:

I'm using the Basic version.  However, I can't turn on the firewall in Windows Firewall, because Windows Firewall says the settings are being managed by Rogers Online Protection Firewall.  I can't find anything specifically related to the firewall in the Rogers Online Protection settings.

Personally I would uninstall all the Rogers stuff and use the built in/default Windows security apps. 

Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, and Smartscreen filter in the EDGE browser. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I will make the case that you remove the Rogers protection software completely.

The basic software is extremely limited, and you are right, it does interfere with the Windows 10 security montitoring.

Security reports are not bothersome, they are critical to our safe practice, and what I see here is an attempt on how to best work with the limitations of the Rogers system.

A bit of history on this software - it has always been behind the curve on the Windows platform, 32 bit, versus 64 bit, late on release of Windows 7 version and Windows 10 versions.

Here are some free suggestions:

Here is a list of free programs - Comodo is an industrial product, but in their belief that the best way to keep the internet safe for their customers is to sell to the commercial and industrial industry, and provide it free to individual users as they want all to have the best security products in place.

Zone alarm is another that has been around for a long time developed by SGR Steve Gibosn Research.  It does not have an antivirus because gibson research is focussed on internet attacks - they have paid products too.

I have tried all of the ones on this list over time and all work well.

I personally buy Norton 10 product licences of their security product and get it when it is on sale each year.

My advice - stay away from the Rogers security and it is only the basic version - anything extra costs money, and it has always been known to not play friendly with other products and Windows and for a long time did not run on MAC, or linux.

So rather than trying to get it to work, consider one of the alternative products, or buy one with full complete support where their business is security as number one. Security is not Rogers business and the Kasporosky product that lies under their product is really not a good product from my experience.  Just my opinion.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have uninstalled the Rogers Online Protection software.  I'm now using Windows Defender.  Thanks for the comments.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@gregneff

Wise move. ROP is garbage!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, on a basic level, the microsoft tools for security will more than meet most casual users needs.

The free Rogers security is basically antivirus and anti malware only and parental controls.

No firewall.

For a more complete protection, you will pay for their premium at 4.99 per month which includes your firewall, and a small online backup space of 2 GB.

Microsoft includes defender, plus the microsoft firewall features, family protection features through your microsoft account, and a very robust backup and recovery tool set.

For free, as Microsoft describes it, it all comes at the low, low, price of free.

There are different levels of toolsets for security depending upon which product you have, home, enterprise, or premium.

The Windows club at http://www.thewindowsclub.com/free-security-tools-microsoft provides you details on all the tools available both within the product and via download.  It has become quite robust as they have developed most of these tools originally at the enterprise server level to ensure security built into their products after years of having a bad rep for security.

In addition to your defender, look at reading up on how to best set up the Windows firewall to provide you a rule based software firewall on your device, and parental controls if you are interested are available via your windows account that you had to set up when registering Windows 10.

The other nice thing is that their antivirus product can run off line for extended periods of time, protecting your from virus from a USB device, or other device on your network, when not connected to Internet.

With the Rogers product, you have to be connected to the Rogers home network router at least once per month if I recall, or it deactivates.  We originally dumped it years ago when my daughter went to work on a school placement in Chicago for 4 months and her protection shut down, so we completely dumped it then.

I personally use Norton Security with Backup 10 user for my family and all devices - huge feature set on it.  It is a one year or two year subscription model, but I just pick up a new one each year at Staples or elsewhere and Norton Canada often has deals for renewals too.  You always have the most recent product as long as your subscription is active.

But many alternatives out there - glad we could guide you on your decision and complement you on your decision to just dump the Rogers based product, which I think in reading is BitDefender - nothing wrong with the product in general, but it started as an antivirus tool, not a firewall and advanced feature set too, but the non Rogers version of it supposedly has improved over the years.

Roger's competitor uses McAfee as their product to customers.  In general, my feeling is that telecoms should stay out tof the business of providing security products - it is not their business and now that they only provide a very basic tool and charge for the more advanced full featured set, it becomes just another money maker, so if you have to pay, why not just shop around and see what else is out there.

As always, a very insightful and important discussion.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Bruce,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I'll explore the security tools link you provided.