Rogers Online Protection Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers Online Protection Upgrade

You might be better off without the Rogers anti-virus. I suggest you read this:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22547206-WARNING-Do-not-load-the-new-Rogers-Online-Protection-ROP

You might want to give AVG or Avast a try.

I'm an Advisor

Re: Rogers Online Protection Upgrade; Use Microsoft Security Essentials instead!

At this point, I would not run anything but Microsoft Security Essentials.  It is free, and assuming you run Windows, available to you by download from Microsoft.  Updates come out regularly.

My thinking is as follows:

1. Microsoft has gotten a major black eye over the whole virus/malware/trojans, etc., issue.  It is a direct result of their Windows architecture and implementation.  They have a tremendous incentive to correct this universal problem, and do it effectively.  If they don't do this they will continue to lose market share and credibility.

2. Microsoft "owns" the Windows O/S and if anyone has the technical expertise and support in place to implement a solution it is them.

3. Microsoft owes us, the licensed users of Windows an effective solution to this problem.  I believe they know this.

4. I am sick and tired of dealing with problems caused by the software produced by other major players such as Symantec and Norton.  Have you ever tried to uninstall any Norton anti-virus product?

So go with the company that wrote the O/S and use Microsoft Security Essentials.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

They tell me it is downloaded automaticly, but my pc shows no protection coverage

I've Been Here Awhile

Virus Protection? anyone have any soloutions,

Doreen, updates are run automatically, not the install of the program itself..

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Thats the link to download MSE..  You'll need to install it, and let the machine restart several times.

I Plan to Stick Around

Doreen the best thing you could do it get away from Rogers online "Protection Racket" entirely.  I took IHR and Skinnorths advice a month ago and couldn't be happier - see that thread for details.

I installed online protection a few years ago and it was an old version of Norton (from before they rewrote the entire application suite so it wouldn't bring your machine down to its knees.)  Don't know and don't care what they use now.

MSE listed above gets good reviews.  Comodo have a free version of their Internet Security suite.  I've been using it since February (switching from NIS 2011): http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=cis (my only complaint is that full scans are pretty slow - otherwise it's pretty good.) A friend of mine tried Avast and AVG which didn't report anything but he was having some problems; Comodo detected 54 problems including a critical one (I don't have the details though.)

I've Been Around

I was getting sick of the remonder and upgraded. The new version does not have the firewall control options. After starting it up I had 61 internet connections???? It also reset my startup programs in msconfig the messed up my system. Is there anyway to get the old version back? I checked my backup and for some reason the Rogers folders were not included.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Likely there isnt a way to get the old one back.. and even if so, it wouldnt work (i know it was that way in the past.. it just wouldnt connect to update, etc anymore).

All in all... there are OTHER free options for AV and malware protection, which do a much better job than the rogers one.

I Plan to Stick Around

So when will Rogers online protection be compatible with Windows 10? Windows 10 has been out since September 2015.....