Rogers Online Protection Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Online Protection Upgrade

I'm running ROP basic on the PC's in my home.   Recently ( last couple of days ), I've been getting pop-up windows from Rogers prompting me to upgrade.  When I click on the prompts, it takes me to a site that seems to be trying to sell me an upgraded service of ROP that requires a payment.

I'm happy with the free service, and I don't want to pay to upgrade.

However, it's not clear as to whether there's an upgrade available for the free version of ROP.   On the website it says, click here to upgrade to free basic......but, I'm not sure if that just installs the current version of ROP basic that I've been running for quite a few months, or if it's an upgrade to the basic version I'm running.

Anyone know there is or isn't an upgrade to Basic ROP available now?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers Online Protection Upgrade

Hi utah!

Welcome to the forums.

The alert for the upgrade you received may be because you are using an older version of the Rogers Online Protection. You can find out which version of the Rogers Online Protection you have by opening the Rogers Online Protection icon on your PC. If you have a big red, yellow or green circle button in the top left corner, you are using the new version. If not, you are using the older version. The older version will still work properly, however, you will get those alerts reminding you to upgrade. The new Rogers Online Protection Basic (free) version provides the same security features as the previous version of Rogers Online Protection, however, it works a little bit differently as the software that runs in the background has been changed. Also, the new Rogers Online Protection has the option to install additional premium features like Identity theft protection, fraud protection, wireless network security, online and local back up and a PC optimizer for a small monthly fee.

Hope this helps!
I Plan to Stick Around

This is the version that I have:

Product Version: 8.0.32.42412

When I check for updated versions, using the tab included with the Rogers software by going clicking on 'General' and then 'Check for Updates'....It tells me that no updates are available.  

Yet, I keep getting the pop up window prompt to upgrade.   When I click on the link in the pop-up, it brings me to the site that offers the various upgrade ( paid ) features.

Down below those options, there's a link that says:  upgrade to basic.   But, it's not clear on if that means my version is old or new or how I should install the new version ( if there is one ).   Do I uninstall the version that I have and then re-install from the link?   

Thanks for the reply by the way.  Maybe you can let me know if my current version is old or new, by the version number I've posted.

thanks, Utah.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey RogersReggie,

Looks like I had version 7 and/or 8 on the 3 PC's on my home network.  I've un-installed the older versions of ROP on those computers, and re-installed the new version 9.0 Rogers Online Protection basic.

I see the new user interface now, that you were describing.

Thanks for your help,

utah.

Retired Moderator

Hi utah,

You're welcome! As mentioned previously, the current version of Rogers Online Protection Basic that you are using has the same features (Anti-virus, Firewall, Anti-spyware, Parental Controls and Privacy Controls) as the previous version, as well as the option to upgrade to some premium features as well.

Hope you like it!

RogersReggie
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Smiley Happy

I've Been Around

Woman Very HappyThank-you for asking this question that has been on my mind for a week or so.

everything was answered but something I was still wondering if the pop ups go away?

I hope so...

Again thanks for the question and the answer.

Mist

Retired Moderator

Hi mist58,

Welcome to the forums.

If you install the latest version of the Rogers Online Protection, you should not receive the pop-ups requesting you to upgrade anymore. You can download it at http://www.rogers.com/.

Hope this helps!

I'm an Enthusiast

I have researched and researched Rogers Online Protection (made by Radialpoint, I believe?) and have yet to find a good review (except one written by a Rogers employee).  In fact, until my research, I had never heard of Radialpoint.  Do you have any benchmark tests that you can provide comparing ROP with other "solutions"?

Retired Moderator

Hi ccrashh,

We do not have any online information on benchmark tests comparing various security applications. Personally, I've never had any issues with the Rogers Online Protection, but you are more than welcome to try it for yourself as you can install the Rogers Online Protection Basic for free. If you do not like it, you should be able to find websites online with benchmarks for more well-known security applications that you can try.