Rogers Online Protection Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Online Protection Issues

Installed the new version of Rogers online protection and vista crashed 2 minutes later.

After several successive crashes ran through the Rogers diagnostics, contacted online support twice, re-installed online protection, tried all the things suggested by Rogers support, continued to crash.

Removed rogers online protection, installed another product. and my system has bee working fine since.

***edited labels***

Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers Online Protection Issues

Hi bobble,

Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like there may be a conflict on your system with the Rogers Online Protection. Can you provide a little bit more information on the specifics of the issue?

Things like: Windows service pack, any previously installed security applications, error messages received, and information about the point when Rogers Online Protection "crashes" your system, would be helpful in determining the root cause of the issue.

Thanks!
RR

I've Been Here Awhile

I am running Vista Business Version 6.0 Build 6002 Service pack 2 with auto-update on.

Since uninstalled ROP my system has never crashed.

and now it boots much faster now too...

Am running Trend Micro security ...

RIP - ROP

I've Been Around

Online Rogers protection is not showing on the monitor. I did tests which showed confiquiration was not set up for it. The icon is on desk top. It won't let me un-install the program to reload it

Retired Moderator RogersAndrew
Retired Moderator

Hi sheryl,

If the uninstaller isn't working, you can try the removal tool found here: http://zeroknowledge.fileburst.com/SupportDownloads/RpsUU.exe. That should do the trick. If not, please feel free to contact our technical support department via 1-888-764-3771 or Live Chat Support at http://echat.rogers.com.

Thanks

I Plan to Stick Around

Could someone in the know please advise if Radial Point is still the supplier of Rogers Online Protection (basic)?  My operating system is XP and I am using Explorer 8.

I have read very negative reviews of that companys products but they are dated 2009 and I do not know if they have improved.

Without going into a complete rant I previously used AVG and the Rogers Norton Protection and never had any problems.

Within weeks of Rogers switching I started to have problems.  The firewall has been breached and I have had really vicious malware install itself twice three days ago and a year ago.   Plus viruses at various times.   All these problems have been solved often with the help of Rogers Tech support and products like Malwarbytes and Hitman Pro.

My point is it is still time consuming and aggravating.  I am wondering if I should uninstall the Rogers Online Protection I had to reinstall yesterday and go with AVG and Malwarebytes for example.

If a Rogers employee answers thats fine but please do not just quote the official company line which I have already heard too often.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Definitely uninstall the ROP. The negative reviews are accurate. You could go back to AVG (I have never had problems with it) but also check out Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and recommended by many. Avast is also a highly rated free program. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Dear IHR

I'd like to thank you for the strong advice.  I didn't do anything then but I recently caught another malware problem.

I ran a complete scan with uptodate radicalpoint - it detected absolutely nothing.  Meanwhile my internet had been hijacked and blocked and I was getting fake warnings every minute or so.

I ran half a dozen well known other problem fixers.  Every one of them caught one or more problems.  One of them caught 17 problems - still the Radicalpoint did nothing. 

So now I'll disable the Radicalpoint garbage, use the Avast or AVG for viruses, Hitman Pro for a second opinion,  Malwarebytes for malware, and could you advise if the Microsoft firewall is Ok or what do you recommend (I'm using XP with SP3 and IE8.)

My only real regret here is I didn't heed your advice the first time.  Rogers should be ashamed of itself for providing this worse than useless garbage and pretending it does anything. (and hiding that it is useless from customers)

Thanks Again

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

You are welcome! Since my last post, I have switched to Microsoft Security Essentials. I have read many good things about it and the fact that it uses less resources than AVG without the incessant promoting of a paid program convinced me to give it a try. So far, so good! As for a a firewall, I use the Windows built-in firewall (I too have XP with SP3 and IE8) but I am no expert, so you may wish to research other firewalls. I am thankful that I was once told by an honest and knowledgeable Rogers CSR that I would be wise to never install any software provided by Rogers. I have since always followed that advice and it seems to have paid off. 

I'm an Advisor

Just to second IHR's comments, I too would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, and the use of the built-in Windows firewall.

Several rules apply here:

1. Use only one anti-virus/anti-malware application on your computer;

2. Unless another anti-virus suite is provided by, let's say your corporate IT, use MSE;

3. Use only one firewall on your computer;

4. Unless another firewall is required, use the native Windows (or Mac) firewall.

With both anti-virus and firewall applications the use of more than one on a single computer can actually cause problems.  They are designed to be exclusive on your computer.  So, more is definitely NOT better.

As well, in practice, if we use a router in our home/SOHO network, the router too usually has a built-in firewall implemented and running on it.

Several years ago, before free anti-virus/anti-malware programs became available, it was required that ISP's provide such software.  Back then, ROP may have been needed. But things have changed.

Today, we should let Rogers Internet spend its time providing (perfecting?) its core business which is running an ISP business successfully.  The implementation, provision and support of firewalls and anti-virus/anti-malware software is not part of that.

It would seem that Rogers and Microsoft each have their own areas of corporate expertise.  As customers and users we should take advantage of each of their respective areas of specialty to our advantage.  It has been clearly demonstrated that we ignore that rule at our peril.

skinorth