Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Hi there,

I am not able to play Fifa 19 online with friends. I looked into several forums and it seems I will need a public IP to able to host a Fifa 19 online friendly game as it is a peer-to-peer connection. Can Rogers change my WAN IP to a public one or is there any other way around this issue?

Thanks!

Good morning @teekhart!

Welcome to our Community!

Thank you for sharing those test results. I'd like to take a closer look and run some diagnostics from here before I recommend any troubleshooting steps. Andy and I are the resident gamers on this team so you're in good hands with us.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so that I may further assist. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm Here A Lot

Hi @RogersMoin sorry to piggyback but I've consistently for 3 days gotten 50-70% packet loss in-game playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CSGO) as informed by their network diagnostics. It spikes once, for 1 second, maybe every minute or so. Concurrently, I ran PingPlotter to evaluate the health of my network.

Although there were spikes in the competitive game there was no correlation in PingPlotter, hitting www.google.com. I'm beginning to conclude there must be a bad node for the route from me to CSGO's servers.

However, I am consistently seeing 30-40% packet loss on the first hop outside my router on any ping test. Be it google, my website, or ping plotter's website.

***Image removed for privacy reasons***

packetloss.JPG

I'd appreciate any help as it's very difficult to play competitively with the packet loss conditions.

Obviously going to state: I'm on a wired connection, rebooted both computer and combo modem/router.

Hey @f3ndot!

As a gamer and streamer myself who relies on consistency in my internet service for nearly all use aspects, I totally understand how debilitating this can be. Are you able to complete a traceroute using command prompt to the game server you're connecting to? This would give us a more conclusive look at where along the routing the issue lies. Be sure as well to remove your personal IP from the results Smiley Happy.

@RogersAndy

I've Been Around

Hi,

I've been experiencing what I believe to be packet loss while gaming on PS4 multiplayer games (primarily EA NHL 19, but still occurring on Dead By Daylight and Apex Legends). Started experiencing it late last year, however the "lag" seemed to go away around January, however it's since reappeared throughout the day but worse towards the evening. HD content hasn't been an issue as the household streams a lot of Netflix.

NHL 19's basic network connection page is reading between 4-12% packet loss on average per game, with very low ping (20-80 ms)

Performing basic ping test gets sporadic results with timeout errors every now and then.

Current setup:

- Ignite Gigabit Modem (in bridge mode) -> Asus AC86U -> Netgear switch (GS108E) -> PS4

Please advise on what testing software (ping plotter seems to be what I'm seeing a lot of), testing methodology, etc. I should perform to diagnose and hopefully resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Hey @ddta!

That packet loss during gaming is definitely concerning, and moreover a significant detriment to your gameplay. I'd definitely recommend from a service provider standpoint testing with a wired connection to the modem if you can. If the issue persists when you bypass the router and the switch then we can start checking to see if this is caused by an RF issue, noise, or equipment. Let us know what the results are direct to the modem Smiley Happy.

@RogersAndy

I've Been Around

Huge buffer bloat and internet slowdown tonight.  This is a freshly reset CODA-4582U router, wired connection, nothing else going on it:

Capture 210219 2133

Same thing happened on the 8th in the evening.  Immense slowdown, completely unable to play games without super lag.  DSL reports had bufferbloat >3k ms.

190208 2230

My tracert is utterly atrocious, this is just now:

tracert to google

Please save me!