Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

We all know why puma 6/7 causes latency and they still won’t come up with a fix. Few of my friends are with Teksavvy and using a non puma 6 /7 stand alone modem and there ping / latency lower then mine same time same building where I live ..
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'll potentially agree with that view for a Puma 6 modem .... maybe.  I won't agree with that for the 4582 Puma 7 modem.  Keep in mind that Intel has released updates to resolve the latency, and Denial of Service issues for the Puma 6 modems.  However, no company, from Intel to the manufacturers to the ISPs have released any plots which prove that the ICMP, UDP and TCP/IP latency for both IPV4 and IPV6 has been resolved.  There is also the unknown issue of what performance penalty has occurred due to the latency and DOS updates.  The DOS issue also effects the 4582 Puma 7 modem.  In terms of running ping tests to the Rogers DNS and UDP queries, the 4582 Puma 7 modem is by far a better modem.  Its pretty close to the Broadcom based 3390 modems, close enough that the average person wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two modems.  

What needs to happen is a discussion with the network engineers on routing and peering.  I suspect you'll find that the TPIAs pay a lot of attention to both of those and as a result, you actually see better results with a TPIAs compared to the larger ISPs.  The modem performance is probably a very small component compared to the routing and peering components.  Its really unfortunate that this discussion hasn't occurred and probably will never occur.  It would make a good "Ask an Expert" session for the gamers in the crowd. 

Fwiw, some of this information is publicly available:

Rogers:

https://www.peeringdb.com/net/307

Start:

https://www.peeringdb.com/net/6649

Teksavvy:

https://www.peeringdb.com/net/1396

I've Been Here Awhile

Dear community, How are you doing today? I am writing to you all in regards to consistent lack of performance, intermittent connection loss, little connection hiccups that slowly get worse over time and frame drops from twitch servers.
First of all I have been streaming on twitch for over a year and throughout the entire time that i've been living in new brunswick canada it has never been at 0 percent loss, stable or patched with the proper firmware. I've been in contact with rogers support over twitter numerous times.... i'd say i know about 20 of the members by name now and we just cannot find anything close to a real solution. At first i was on a CGN modem and it was working decently, after a short vacation i returned to find that the frame drops were up to 40 percent loss randomly even with a clean connection so i contact support, they sent a tech to check it out, we replaced the modem with another cgn. it worked okay for a bit until once again frame loss on the highest level. So a few months of me gritting my teeth and bearing it and i finally lose it. I resort to the forums for solutions and get reccomended the beta firmware which once again seemed like a bandaid solution. The technician replaced all of my cables from house and all the way to the hub outside. that made the signals way stronger and the speedtests looked clean but still i got drops. i can't handle it anymore at this point so i basically break out into tears and beg for the coda 3 on a 150 down 15 up plan. they allowed it. Now the coda 3 modem didnt actually change ANYTHING on the first 3 days of me having it due to the new brunswick codas not being patched with the latest firmware but i got lucky and 3 days later coincidentally they rolled out a patch for NB. That managed to fix it for about a week? the problem changed from incredible frame drops to intermittent disconnects for about 2-3 months again. So i requested a new coda finally after testing everything, we've tested multiple devices, technicians computers and the drops would happen to y friends devices and all of my devices not just my laptop. random drops. told the techs this and we replaced that new coda with an even newer one here. Now since then (a few weeks ago?) the signal will hiccup long enough to cause a buffer for my viewers, about a 1 percent loss on all of my total frames while streaming and today i actually had to recconnect to the internet again while off stream and watching someone else. I'm the most patient man in the world at this point and i've told rogers i would do anything to fix it if they would. so here i am with disconnects and buffers again with a brand spankin new CODA 3 and i've also installed all of my driver updates, factory reset my MSI from an msi flash drive they sent me, i've check multiple streaming software and it does the same. we've run traceroutes and tested the connection from my laptop to twitch and all seems good? but i've run hours of tests recently due to reccomendation of tech and we can visibly see a drop to almost zero at least 30/40 times per 10 hour stream? just for a split second. We've tried to traceroute the ingest servers but apparently they block the incomings on all of them, i've tried to contact twitch support on twitter and email and they haven't taken me seriously since i asked for the ingest address to run the tracert for chicago, quebec and toronto servers which are close to me. I'm at a loss for words. i have about 10 hours+ of wireshark data and pictures from the twitch inspector. I don't know what i'm looking at when i have the wireshark data but the twitch inspector has indicated that my hardware is all fine and dandy. Please help me guys it's been a year of messing around with rogers services i'm out here in the wilds forced to use this ISP as bell only delivers dial up in this area. It's been about a year of bad service and i think i've only gotten a discount ONCE. Lets get it done ladies and gentlemen.

Sincerely -Luc

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@michluc

Welcome to Rogers, I have the same drop frames when I tried to stream on twitch and when I play online games, after 2 tech visits numerous calls to Rogers ect.. I still have to reboot my CODA Modem a couple time a day especially before gaming. Just like you Bell is not offering Fibre in my area only old dsl at 5 mbs.. so can't really give up my gigabit internet with Rogers even if it's not the best. I've learned with the years that Rogers isn't great for gaming and streaming on twitch, however it's ok for streaming netflix, downloading stuff and surfing the web. I really hope they will improve their network in the future.

I've Been Here Awhile

I've asked twitch to help the rogers team via liaison and apparently they only offer troubleshooting support. When i asked them to send me someone who could help they denied to do so. I've told them that we've got several people and a team looking into the issue and it's a no-go they used typical responses for the masses on me and refused to actually acknowledge my query properly. So i've tested my lan ports and switched codecs from processor to nvenc and still drops. Going to go to a friends house to test the bell fiber network and confirm whether my hardware is whack or it's just a problem with the firmware, distance or an issue in the neighborhood. all of my devices have the same issue though so highly unlikely that just my laptop would be out of commision. I'm running quite the beast of a rig here. We've run about 30000 pings using the technicians devices straight through the modem and no packet loss. Ran wireshark for about 12 hours and the tests show no packetloss but the twitch inspector shows drops almost bringing me to 0 kbs and also i get buffers when i'm using the net off stream sometimes. When i am streaming it seems to be worse, i've tested each ingest server and they all do the same thing. i have tested processor and wifi together, processor and lan, nvenc and wireless and also with lan. they result in the same dips. It seems that the problem is getting worse over time here. Techs want tier 2 support to check things out i believe. I'm the only young person in the neighborhood and the last one on the line as it ends right after my house forunately.
Swapped out three coda 3's. my network card also has 10gbit capabilities. All of the packets are lossless and within parameters from what we have determined. I'm just about over testing things... i'm so tuckered out and running out of solutions. I am glad to have tons of support. I'll do anything you guys ask of me.

I've Been Around

Rogers Internet and Gaming (Mainly CSGO)

Randomly throughout the day (mostly primetime hours 7-11), I get a weird lag in my csgo where when I switch weapons like pulling out my knife, or when I spray my gun, there's a weird stutter like if my spray stops for a second, then continues. It's really annoying and I feel like it is putting me at a disadvantage.

I've read a lot of forums and they said that it was because the CODA 4582U that Rogers gives to their customers (I have Ignite 150u), has an Intel Puma 7 chip that does not handle latency properly, and depending on how many Rogers customers there are in my area, their internet use can affect my experience.

Is there anyone that is aware of this issue whether they've experienced the same thing when they played CSGO for example, or know about the kind of problem it really is and care to explain why the Intel Puma 7 chip is so bad?

I wish Bell came out with FTTH in my area... Rogers is really upsetting me

I've Been Around

NAT type change

Hello. I am winding how I can change the NAT type from moderate to open for gaming. I have very little tech skills and am unable to find a step by step process on how to achieve this. Any info or links would be appreciated

I Plan to Stick Around

@achanakbhayank

I get the exact same thing.  If you run a speed test during that window I'll bet the upload speeds will be 1/3 of normal. Nothing you can do, its just congestion in the area and it will dissipate after prime hours are over.

I've Been Around

Path of Exile online game Packet Loss

Unplayable for at least a week. Keeps happening occasionally for past few months since moving back to Rogers.

WinMTR: https://pastebin.com/4QsKCXKa

Connection type: Ethernet

Internet Plan: Rogers Ignite 500u using Hitron CODA-4582 (firmware 2.0.10.36T6)

I have posted on Path of Exile forum as others have issues also :

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2272141

Is my modem the issue?  Should I call tech support and request a new modem?