Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

lethalsniper wrote:
What about the way ea sends our traffic when it comes to NHL 17 ? It's horrible ,read on this thread you guys are looking In to this as well @RogersDave

Hey @lethalsniper

Sorry to hear about the troubles. I play EA games as well, it's just a random stutter here and there for me. You may have be mistaken though, what was indicated by Dave is that he has been working on the IPV6 issues with EA Games.

I can't offer a commitment or provide a timeline but what I can say is, we are definitely interested in peering with EA (its on the roadmap)   

RogersKevin

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersKevin
Any other tests you need from me? From what you posted we seem to be hitting different server's. Tuesday was pretty good but still getting freezing. A couple of hops showed packet loss. Is this important?

Mythen
Project Manager
Project Manager

RogersKevin wrote:

lethalsniper wrote:
What about the way ea sends our traffic when it comes to NHL 17 ? It's horrible ,read on this thread you guys are looking In to this as well @RogersDave

Hey @lethalsniper

Sorry to hear about the troubles. I play EA games as well, it's just a random stutter here and there for me. You may have be mistaken though, what was indicated by Dave is that he has been working on the IPV6 issues with EA Games.

I can't offer a commitment or provide a timeline but what I can say is, we are definitely interested in peering with EA (its on the roadmap)   

RogersKevin

To clarify what I am saying is he is working on the IPV6 issues that happen with certain games(which happen to be ea ones).

RogersKevin

Project Manager
Project Manager

Mythen wrote:
@RogersKevin
Any other tests you need from me? From what you posted we seem to be hitting different server's. Tuesday was pretty good but still getting freezing. A couple of hops showed packet loss. Is this important?

Mythen

Thanks @Mythen, Im good. I’ve shared the issue internally & the network teams will look into it what can be done.

In regards to importance of the hops that have packet loss, I am not an network expert but the projects I work on do involve collaboration with our Network & Product Management teams. I also enjoy reading on networking & testing on my spare time Smiley Happy Joining in the network talk so let’s have some fun…Here’s my analysis.

If you compare our results side by side (your first pingplotter result) & reference the mention of the hop that is concerning + Dave’s note about the hop being from New York to Seattle . You see will our data packets are flowing through those same hops (check your hop 8 & my hop 9).. & after this point is where we see the ping times increase for both of us. Now if we analyze the avg ping times after these hops & compare mines with yours. The avg ping on yours are higher. This is due to your physical location, I am physically closer to the servers so the round trip time for the data is less. Based on some analysis of data packets to the host, I can see that after hop 8 - 9, there times where the latency spikes. I presume this is when the stream will freeze completely for you and mine will buffer for a few seconds, when it gets really bad. The data packets eventually make it back to my location & my stream continues. I am speculating that based on your location & with a spike in latency, the packets are completely lost never making it back to you thus making the video player trip up. When you refresh the page, as mentioned the webpage network code shows you can pick up these streams from a different IP’s (Owned by Amazon)...When you pause & press play after the issue, I am presuming the video player initiates a new request to the host...So you go through the process again until you freeze again.

RogersKevin

I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersDave : I have not been able to play NHL17 online for 2 weeks. It is definetly the IPv6 issue. I cannot connect to anybody and when I search for a game online (in online versus), I will never find an opponent to play. My NAT is open and ive tried all the troubleshooting methods. I am glad Rogers has finally admitted to this problem as nobody I have talked to for the past week had an answer for me. One another note : I have not been able to play FIFA17 since the game came out, pretty much all year. My gamertag is Best in Ottawa. Please feel free to message me, I will provide you whaterver you need to get this fixed. 

I've Been Around

got the firmware pushed to .27, but still not showing any option to turn off the ipv6. is it possible to get a step by step guidance? sorry but i checked literally option and i could not find it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Egnite log into the modem, navigate to BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION.  The ROUTER MODE line contains, IPV4, IPV6 or Dual stack.  To disable IPV6, change the setting from DUAL to IPV4 only.   I think the modem will reboot on its own.  If not, reboot the modem using the ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.  Do not run a factory reset as it will cause the modem to revert to 2.0.10.26T2

You may want to Disable UPNP while you're there unless you know that you need it for gaming purposes.  If you don' t need it, as in you want to set the ports manually for gaming, or you don't want any Windows or device application to change the router settings without your knowledge, then Disable UPNP.  I personally do not recommend leaving it enabled, but, no doubt there are modem and router users who don't want to manage the port settings or any other settings on their own. 

The SIP/ALG you can probably disable if you don't have a VOIP phone, or, if you do, no doubt the phone has its own SIP/ALG requirements for the server that it connects to, and therefore the SIP/ALG should be disabled. 

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hey @Jacob10,

Welcome to the Community Forums! 

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with online gaming. I can relate with how frustrating it can be. Good news is, with @RogersDave and @RogersKevin at the helm, we're making strides to improve the online gaming experience for our customers. 

To start, I recommend you enroll in our firmware trials. Click here for more info on how to participate.

Cheers,

RogersCilio

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jacob10 what modem do you currently have, any of the black vertical standing modems which are a CGN3xxxx or CGNM-3552 series, or, the newer white CODA-4582?  The modem model is seen on the product sticker at the back of the modem.

If you have one of the black vertical standing modems and you are running an unlimited account, you can switch to the newer CODA-4582.  With that modem in place, you can then request the trial firmware, as has been indicated above.  The latest trial firmware, V2.0.10.27 has an IPV4, IPV6 or Dual (stack) operating mode selection, so you can then choose to run the modem in IPV4 mode only.  That would most likely resolve the problems you are having with finding a match.  @RogersDave and @RogersKevin are working on the IPV6 match issue.  

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Any progress on the twitch issue?