Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

it's been months that i can barely stream from OBS. All devices on this modem have horrible upload and have major frame drop issues. Talked to support many times. They kept telling me it was a problem on my end. Clearly it is not. I stream from home to make a living and have been unable to even do a single clean broadcast for a very long time. The losses occur on any connection. As if the moment the internet is coming into contact with twitch it decides to drop. I've been across canada with multiple devices and have streamed fine on every network except rogers. Very very frustrating and i can't switch because no other providers have internet out where i live.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I tried to stream about a year ago on gigabit hard wired with Rogers, it's impossible. 1 year later it's still atrocious even just watching twitch it always cut. Rogers is very bad for streaming and gaming, will this ever be fixed? If it is it will be in a very long time.

I've Been Here Awhile

Well had the firmware downloaded onto modem and it fixed everything for about a week, now i have half of my connection strength with massive fluctuations. Not just streaming software but now the actual connection strength is pitiful. It's been months and months of me dealing with this issue thinking i'm crazy but please please help me fix this i cannot take it anymore with rogers..... one more incident and i will stop using rogers internet. The solutions given are not optimal at all and i am tired of the inability to provide me with constantly strong and working internet connection. Please fix this...it needs to end.

I've Been Here Awhile

Connection Interruptions on services that require stable connection.

Hello everyone,

I apologize for the length of this post.  I've been having this problem for a long time and wanted to include as much as I could.  Like most of you here, I love gaming, and I've been experiencing problems on Rogers' network for a long time. 

I've called support for help, but I every time I've been told it's something on my end, or the other services' network, and that it's up to me to solve the problem.

So, I've tried.  I have the 150 plan, and the CGN3 model modem.  3 wired devices: My main PC, laptop in the other room, and my PS4.  2 cells/1 tablet on WiFi.  Not all of these are active at the same time, at the most it's 2 wired, and 1 wifi device.  The most bandwidth heavy thing any of the devices other than my main PC ever use is youtube.

Here's where my service disruption comes in.  Whenever my main PC (or PS4) is connected to a game service that requires a stable connection to stay logged in (for example bnet, steam, or even PSN on the Playstation), I have a very hard time staying connected if the internet is used for any other purpose.  Pull up a webpage on my other monitor? Disconnected.  Family member uses laptop to do some work, or just browse the internet? Disconnected.

I know it's not a service interruption on their side because the friends I am playing with don't get disconnected.  Plus the fact that I can recreate these disconnects at will.

To try and mitigate this problem I've installed a bandwidth limiter on the laptop, and reduced the amount of simultaneous connections the browser on it can open down to 2, from a number in the hundreds which is the default.  This hasn't solved the problem, but it's definitely helped.  Unfortunately, that's about the only thing I've been able to figure out that's helped at all, and I don't have the ability to do this for all of the devices on the network.  I don't think I should have to hobble everything else on my network so that I can maintain a stable connection on ONE device either.  Besides, this happens locally too.  I take the risk of being disconnected every time I use a browser to look something up.

I don't know where the origin of the problem is.  I've done what I could, but everything else would just be a shot in the dark at this point.  I suspect it could be the QoS capabilities of the modem I currently have, but I don't know.

If this sounds familiar to any of you, or if you have a solution you think I should try, please let me know.  I would appreciate any help on this matter.  I'm at a loss these days and it's very frustrating to have to deal with this issue all of the time.

Thanks very much for reading!

Edit: After reading some more posts I've included my signal info.

Downstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID Signal noise ratio (dB)
1 621000000 256QAM 1.600 12 40.946
2 579000000 256QAM 1.400 5 40.366
3 585000000 256QAM 1.600 6 40.946
4 591000000 256QAM 1.800 7 40.946
5 597000000 256QAM 1.700 8 40.946
6 603000000 256QAM 1.600 9 40.366
7 609000000 256QAM 1.800 10 40.946
8 615000000 256QAM 1.700 11 40.946
9 303000000 256QAM 1.300 1 40.366
10 633000000 256QAM 1.100 13 40.366
11 639000000 256QAM 1.200 14 40.366
12 645000000 256QAM 0.900 15 40.366
13 651000000 256QAM 1.100 16 40.366
14 663000000 256QAM 1.200 18 40.366
15 669000000 256QAM 0.900 19 40.946
16 675000000 256QAM 0.800 20 40.366
17 681000000 256QAM 1.000 21 40.366
18 687000000 256QAM 0.700 22 40.366
19 693000000 256QAM 0.600 23 40.946
20 699000000 256QAM 0.300 24 40.366
21 705000000 256QAM 0.100 25 40.366
22 711000000 256QAM -0.100 26 38.983
23 717000000 256QAM -0.200 27 38.983
24 723000000 256QAM -0.400 28 38.983
Upstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID Bandwidth
1 38596000 ATDMA - 64QAM 41.500 6 3200000
2 30596000 ATDMA - 64QAM 40.250 4 6400000
3 23700000 ATDMA - 64QAM 41.250 5 6400000
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Temper013 can you:

1.  Have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the product sticker to determine exactly what model of CGN3 you have.  There are numerous models, including the CGN3, CGN3ACSMR, and others.  There is also a CGNM-3552 32 channel version as well.

2.  Log into the modem and check the firmware version that is loaded.  Its listed as the Software Version on the Status page.  That page is displayed automatically when you log into the modem.

3.  Check the DNS addresses that are in use.  Navigate to the BASIC .... DNS tab.  That tab should either show Auto, where the Rogers Domain Name Servers are used, or show Manual with the DNS of your choice in the DNS1 and DNS2 fields.  Depending on which CGN3 you have and firmware version that is load, you might also have the IPV6 DNS1 and DNS2 fields shown.  Those fields, if they are filled, should be filled with entries that you have filled in.  If there are other DNS addresses that are there, and you haven't filled those in, replace them with other DNS addresses, such as Google, OpenDNS, or others.  Or, you can delete them, switch the DNS Obtain to Auto, Save Changes and then reboot the modem using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.

From your description, it looks like the modem is in one room and some of the wired devices are in another room.  Whats the cable path from the modem to those devices?  Are you using a commercial cable of sufficient length, or using house ethernet to connect from one room to the other?  If you're using the house ethernet, whats the total cable path, including patch cables, house cables and any switches that are in use?

I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink wrote:

@Temper013 can you:

1.  Have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the product sticker to determine exactly what model of CGN3 you have.  There are numerous models, including the CGN3, CGN3ACSMR, and others.  There is also a CGNM-3552 32 channel version as well.

2.  Log into the modem and check the firmware version that is loaded.  Its listed as the Software Version on the Status page.  That page is displayed automatically when you log into the modem.

3.  Check the DNS addresses that are in use.  Navigate to the BASIC .... DNS tab.  That tab should either show Auto, where the Rogers Domain Name Servers are used, or show Manual with the DNS of your choice in the DNS1 and DNS2 fields.  Depending on which CGN3 you have and firmware version that is load, you might also have the IPV6 DNS1 and DNS2 fields shown.  Those fields, if they are filled, should be filled with entries that you have filled in.  If there are other DNS addresses that are there, and you haven't filled those in, replace them with other DNS addresses, such as Google, OpenDNS, or others.  Or, you can delete them, switch the DNS Obtain to Auto, Save Changes and then reboot the modem using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.

From your description, it looks like the modem is in one room and some of the wired devices are in another room.  Whats the cable path from the modem to those devices?  Are you using a commercial cable of sufficient length, or using house ethernet to connect from one room to the other?  If you're using the house ethernet, whats the total cable path, including patch cables, house cables and any switches that are in use?

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

I looked as best as I could, in the two places where it has a Model designation it only says CGN3, no suffix.

Hardware Version: 1A

Software Version: 4.5.8.37T5

I checked the DNS settings and they were set to auto, so I switched them to Google's DNS because I've read elsewhere in the past that it may help. 

As for the wiring, 2 of the wired devices are in the same room as the modem, the laptop being the furthest away and as far as I know the cables should be sufficient (I had to run the cable because wifi strength suffers in the building I live in and obviously wired is more stable).  None of the other devices experience any problems, they're only used for browsing and streaming video at most.  I am not using any switches or routers other than the one built into the modem.

Hopefully this info is of some help, thanks again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Temper013 is this a recent problem or has this been happening for a while now?  4.5.8.37T5 was issued as of Jun 13, 2018, so, this is a fairly recent update for that modem.  I wonder if you're seeing a problem as a result of that update?

One thing that you could do is swap the modem at the nearest Rogers store.  That CGN3 is the very first Intel Puma 6 modem introduced by Hitron and Rogers.  There is a lot of history over the 3+ years since the modem and its successors were introduced, none of it really good.  But, thats another story .......

Without even thinking about it, I'd recommend swapping it for a CGN3ACSMR or a CGNM-3552 as those modem see faster updates.  All of the CGN3 models are close, in terms of their physical build, but, their not exactly the same, so, that results in some of the models, such as the CGN3 receiving updates long after the CGN3ACSMR and CGNM-3552.  If you decide to do this, call ahead and ask the store staff to check for either of those models.  The CGN3ACSMR is a 24 channel modem (downstream) while the CGNM-3552 is a 32 channel modem.  If you're on an unlimited plan, you would be eligible for the CODA-4582.  The CGN3xxxx and CGNM-3552 modems are Intel Puma 6 modems.  The CODA-4582 is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  Intel has been issuing updates to resolve the latency thru the Puma 6 modems since summer 2016 and even today, I don't know if they've managed to resolve all of the latency issues.  If you're a gamer, this is important.  The CODA-4582, which is an Intel Puma 7 modem does not suffer from the same latency issues seen in the Puma 6 modems.  

The 4582 runs DOCSIS 3.1, which is the latest version in the evolution of the cable DOCSIS specifications.  There are some customers who have seen slower than expected data rates with that modem, most likely due to problems with the OFDM channel processing.  Rogers has very recently released a trial firmware to run variable QAM levels within the OFDM channel to address in channel noise conditions.  The jury is still out on this, but, hopefully it will address some of the slow data rate issues that some customers have seen.  

Last thought for now, is there any chance that the connected devices are using hard set IP addresses?  They should be set to run on Auto for the purpose of assigning the IP addresses.  If any of them were the same you should have seen an IP conflict alert on the devices with the same IP address.  

You indicated that you're running cables for the pc and laptop, so I'm assuming for now that their a direct connection to the modem.  Have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the connected port LEDs.  Flashing amber indicates a 1 Gb/s connection rate with the connected device, flashing green indicates a 10/100 Mb/s connection rate with the connected device.  One item to do, in terms of troubleshooting is to determine if those indicated connection rates make sense, given the ports that they are connected to on the devices.  If for example the pc or laptop has a gigabit port, then the modem port LED should show flashing amber.   If its flashing green, then something is up, either a bad connection, bad cable, or perhaps the port settings in the advanced network settings are only set for 100 Mb/s.  So, a quick check should ensure that you're seeing the highest data rate from the ports.  A speedtest indicating well over 100 Mb/s will also confirm that the ports are running at a gigabit connection rate. 

I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink wrote:

@Temper013 is this a recent problem or has this been happening for a while now?  4.5.8.37T5 was issued as of Jun 13, 2018, so, this is a fairly recent update for that modem.  I wonder if you're seeing a problem as a result of that update?

One thing that you could do is swap the modem at the nearest Rogers store.  That CGN3 is the very first Intel Puma 6 modem introduced by Hitron and Rogers.  There is a lot of history over the 3+ years since the modem and its successors were introduced, none of it really good.  But, thats another story .......

Without even thinking about it, I'd recommend swapping it for a CGN3ACSMR or a CGNM-3552 as those modem see faster updates.  All of the CGN3 models are close, in terms of their physical build, but, their not exactly the same, so, that results in some of the models, such as the CGN3 receiving updates long after the CGN3ACSMR and CGNM-3552.  If you decide to do this, call ahead and ask the store staff to check for either of those models.  The CGN3ACSMR is a 24 channel modem (downstream) while the CGNM-3552 is a 32 channel modem.  If you're on an unlimited plan, you would be eligible for the CODA-4582.  The CGN3xxxx and CGNM-3552 modems are Intel Puma 6 modems.  The CODA-4582 is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  Intel has been issuing updates to resolve the latency thru the Puma 6 modems since summer 2016 and even today, I don't know if they've managed to resolve all of the latency issues.  If you're a gamer, this is important.  The CODA-4582, which is an Intel Puma 7 modem does not suffer from the same latency issues seen in the Puma 6 modems.  

The 4582 runs DOCSIS 3.1, which is the latest version in the evolution of the cable DOCSIS specifications.  There are some customers who have seen slower than expected data rates with that modem, most likely due to problems with the OFDM channel processing.  Rogers has very recently released a trial firmware to run variable QAM levels within the OFDM channel to address in channel noise conditions.  The jury is still out on this, but, hopefully it will address some of the slow data rate issues that some customers have seen.  

Last thought for now, is there any chance that the connected devices are using hard set IP addresses?  They should be set to run on Auto for the purpose of assigning the IP addresses.  If any of them were the same you should have seen an IP conflict alert on the devices with the same IP address.  

You indicated that you're running cables for the pc and laptop, so I'm assuming for now that their a direct connection to the modem.  Have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the connected port LEDs.  Flashing amber indicates a 1 Gb/s connection rate with the connected device, flashing green indicates a 10/100 Mb/s connection rate with the connected device.  One item to do, in terms of troubleshooting is to determine if those indicated connection rates make sense, given the ports that they are connected to on the devices.  If for example the pc or laptop has a gigabit port, then the modem port LED should show flashing amber.   If its flashing green, then something is up, either a bad connection, bad cable, or perhaps the port settings in the advanced network settings are only set for 100 Mb/s.  So, a quick check should ensure that you're seeing the highest data rate from the ports.  A speedtest indicating well over 100 Mb/s will also confirm that the ports are running at a gigabit connection rate. 

This has been an ongoing issue for a long long time, at least a couple of years.  So, I don't think the recent update would have much to do with it. 

I will try to get my hands on the Puma 7 model, thanks for breaking down the differences, that was a big help.  I was thinking of replacing the modem for good measure anyway seeing as I've had it for what seems a very long time now.

Only my primary PC is set to a static IP for the purpose of port forwarding.  I've never had IP conflict issues.

As for the lights, they're all good and amber.  That was a very helpful bit of info as well.

Thanks very much for all the advice.  I will pick up that modem ASAP and see if that helps, hopefully it will.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Temper013 if you do go ahead and swap the modem and end up with the same problem, my guess is that you have a problem with an ethernet or wifi adapter.  We've seen issues with those come up in the past when they were failing.  It would result in a network shutdown on the modem, with the connected network being the one that shut down.  So, that would be an individual network failure, ethernet, or 2.4 or 5 Ghz network failure.  Replace the ethernet or wifi adapter on the device, and the problems would disappear.  So, fwiw......

I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink wrote:

@Temper013 if you do go ahead and swap the modem and end up with the same problem, my guess is that you have a problem with an ethernet or wifi adapter.  We've seen issues with those come up in the past when they were failing.  It would result in a network shutdown on the modem, with the connected network being the one that shut down.  So, that would be an individual network failure, ethernet, or 2.4 or 5 Ghz network failure.  Replace the ethernet or wifi adapter on the device, and the problems would disappear.  So, fwiw......

Hi again @Datalink,

Hope your day is going well.  I took a trip down to a Rogers store yesterday after calling into make sure they have a CODA available, which they did.  Turns out a few months ago they stopped giving them out to anyone without at least the 500 plan, so they told me I had to go back home and either call in a work order to specifically allow a modem swap for that one, or upgrade my plan.  So, I guess that's my next order of business with this whole situation.  I just wanted to let you know about the changes, so other people in this thread don't waste their time if they had the same idea.