Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Hi, There. Having issues with Twitch as well. I'm streaming to the Toronto server, but the server tester tool gives me 100% on the Toronto server.

When streaming I start to drop 5-10% of frames after the first few minutes. This will happen every few minutes as long as the stream is live. Occasionally it will completely disconnect me, but that is pretty rare. When I stream through a VPN, I will often not drop a single frame. If I do drop frames, it is like 0.01% - 0.05% at the most.  I've been though all my settings, replaced modem twice, replaced all cables, streamed from a different PC on the same connection, tried multiple ingest servers, even bought a new network card to rule out my motherboard crapping out on me. Port Forwarding is set up for TCP Port 1935.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cinestr what modem do you have, a black CGN3xxx or the white CODA-4582? From your description it sounds like a CNG3xxx modem.  The CNG3xxx modems are Intel Puma 6 based which have latency problems due to the firmware design.  In addition to the latency, there is also a 5 to 10 % packet loss with UDP.  The CODA-4582 is Intel Puma 7 based which does not suffer from the latency that is seen in the Puma 6 modems.  

What protocol are you using to stream, TCP or UDP? 

I've Been Here Awhile

The giant ugly white one! CODA-4582 & Using TCP.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, ok then, this is something that @RogersDave might have to look at.  Other users have also reported issues with twitch, so, there might be more than a possible modem issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

The Toronto twitch injest server is not stable for some reason. My upload goes to zero alot of times to this one. When we run the twitch test for some reason the Chicago server is the Best. There is even one in Montreal but it's quality is below the 80% quality mark set by twitch.

Is there a routing issue at play here?

I'm Here A Lot

I have set up my PS3. I am logging on to GTA5 online but takes forever to load and also disconnects alot.

I read on portforwarding, i opened up the ports needed etc. But still load issues and disconnects often.

I also Have 500MBPS internet so speed should not be an issues, Any ideas on what i need to do?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

on your PS3, when you goto settings -> network, do the network test, does it say nat type 2 or 3?

NAT Type 2 is what it should say.

I'm Here A Lot

Ya it does say NAT 2 , i removed all my port forwarding settings i manually did. Did a fresh reboot but still seems slow to log on etc but not loosing connection as much or as fast.

I was reading that i needed to make my PS3 have a static IP and then manually set up the Port Forwarding.Do you know if that would work better?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Steve613 wrote:

Ya it does say NAT 2 , i removed all my port forwarding settings i manually did. Did a fresh reboot but still seems slow to log on etc but not loosing connection as much or as fast.

I was reading that i needed to make my PS3 have a static IP and then manually set up the Port Forwarding.Do you know if that would work better?

@Steve613

There is no need for a static IP address, or manual port forwarding. I suggest you disable upnp in the router settings, to do so look for basic settings -> upnp, set it to disabled. Also make sure you delete any port forwarding rules you created. Reset the router, then power on the PS3 and make sure it still says "type 2"

Type 2 indicates that the router/modem isn't blocking you, so if you're having issues it's not because of ports being blocked. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to add to this conversation and not trying to disagree, but, if you decide to keep port forwarding in operation, set a static IP for the console.  That will prevent any LAN IP address change in the event you intentionally or unintentionally restart the modem.  If, without a static address set, the modem restarted for some reason, there is absolutely no guarantee that the PS3 would end up with the same LAN IP address.  If it did, that's a matter of luck.  I suspect that the result would be a different IP address, at which point any manually set port forwarding rules would point to some other device on the network. 

Does the PS3 support IPV6 or is it running IPV4 only at this point?