Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

upload only 2.22Mb/s,

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6406234928.png

big problem!   internet so lag,  can't play game this week!

1.jpg

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersDave

2 Days in a row that I am getting frames drop loss when broadcasting on Twitch, 2-8 to 3 % loss average.

I never paid attention to that until I realized it was happening the last 2 days that I did broadcast.

So it's possible it was happening on previous firmware too. I have not paid attention at that time.

Coda .30T1 firmware at the moment.

@RogersKevin @RogersDave

My quality is cutting out when I broadcast on twitch.

i7 5930k 12 cores, OC 4.3ghz

GTX980 

16GB DDR4 ram 2133 mhz

NET 250mbs down/20up

my cpu is not close to bottleneck , I am pretty sure the small lag is caused by my upload.

If you want to see the lag I am talking about, go to www.twitch.tv/thefishermanclub and watch any past broadcast videos.

I ran different test from 2500 -3000 3500 4000 kbs in the Output but the issue persist even when I lower the bandwitch as low as 2500kbs

I did a test with a friend on Bell, he has 100 upload but a weaker cpu than me, he's able to stream the same games at a higher bitrate without any lag, that's how I isolated the issue to be ISP based and on my upload.

I am confident that DOCSIS 3.1 on the upload would fix this but in the meantime it's very hard to broadcast because it gives a very poor quality to my audience.

Hopefully there's a solution to fix it sooner than waiting for D.31?

Please help a desperate twitch broadcaster

I Plan to Stick Around

@JohnBeaudin Have you tried the TwitchTest tool? It tests your connection to each Twitch server. It might help you find a better server to stream to.

Run the test for a decent duration (2 minutes+) for each server and that way you can look to see if your upload to the server is dropping in real time. It also gives a "quality" number that tests for re-transmissions, where "Re-transmissions indicate bandwidth throttling, congestion or packet loss." You can mess around with the TCP Window Size setting, as some users reported higher quality and more constant bitrate with it set to 1M or 4M, but I didn't notice a difference between that and the Automatic (OBS) setting.

Everything about your setup is fine. Your computer parts being a bottleneck (which they aren't) should only impact the FPS of your game when you stream, and your upload is more than good enough to run a twitch stream at 6,000 kbps bitrate.

I casually stream on Twitch as well, and I noticed that when I switched to the CODA modem, I get ping spikes while streaming, where my ping goes anywhere from 100-400ms for a few seconds in game. This did not occur when I was using the CGN3ACSMR Rocket modem. 

When I use Twitch's Inspector tool and run a stream quality check, there seems to be an unstable event every minute for 5-10 seconds.

I suspect there is an issue with the CODA modem and Twitch servers. The "Twitch buffering" problem on page 1 of this thread seems to go both ways, with watching a stream and while streaming. I get random buffering while watching Twitch streams as well. 

twitchtest.PNG

Here are my results from running the TwitchTest tool. With the CGN3ACSMR modem, I could get 10,000+ upload to most servers, and 80+ quality on most. However, I'm seeing upload bandwidth drop a lot while testing, from 10,000+ down to 5,000, then back up to 8,000, etc. My quality numbers are abysmal, indicating massive amounts of re-transmissions. My internet is 100mb down/10mb up.

Here is another test, with the Automatic setting OBS would use:

twitchtest2.PNG

And here is a Twitch inspector result for a quick 9 minute stream where I played Overwatch. There were one or two moments where I noticed my ping spike to around 100ish (really noticeable spike). This is to the Ashburn, VA server, which used to be my best ping/quality option on the old modem.

inspector.PNG

Project Manager
Project Manager

Hey Community,

Sorry I’ve been a bit MIA ! Will get around to responding. Going to do some additional testing on Twitch & connect with Dave. 

@lethalsniper - Thanks for sharing & sorry to hear about the troubles in your area, hoping it’s resolved soon. I’ve added my pingplotter results for comparison. Also, as noted in the past I am not in an area with congestion so our experiences may differ.I’ve been playing a lot of FIFA 17 on PS4 over the last 2-3 weeks, around 20+ online matches.. Majority of the games ran perfectly fine, but there were some matches that had noticeable & continuous lag.

One thing to note about EA games & it’s been brought up by the Community in the past is the network architecture involves a variety of solutions that differ based on game & also modes within the game itself..Some game publishers are leveraging a “hybrid” model, which consists of using P2P when a server is not available. For EA, it doesn’t appear there is consistency in the approach as you have PvP match on FIFA which is using P2P, then you have PvP match on Madden which appears to be using a client-server solution.  Technically speaking, that test EA suggests to run as a troubleshooting step, only speaks to one of the solutions they are using - client server. The EA Support section does not provide much information on how exactly we can analyze & diagnose issues for P2P matches. Also it’s a bit vague on what games exactly are using that server listed, just mentions that it works for “most” EA titles.

The basis of P2P architecture for online gaming involves match making server, which then “peers” you with another player(s)..A connection is established, one player is marked as the host & the data is travelling through the internet between you & the host, not needing a server to “run the game online”. If you happen to live in Toronto and are matched up with a player who is also in Toronto, then logically speaking the latency between players should be less, so you have a much “smoother” match.

This makes it a bit difficult to troubleshoot as those FIFA matches where I got paired up with another player & performance was poor, my suspicions were that it was related to physical location of the other players & data flow back and forth between us – didn’t have a way to do a root cause analysis. FIFA 17 does not give any information on in-game connection performance.  NHL 17 does provide more details, as in-game you are provided with the current latency to the game server or between players, but still not enough to take a look at the route between players on the P2P match – also doesn't let you know who is the host. 

I can run some more 6v6 matches on NHL, which I know is using a server and provide a summary on that as well. I know this might not necessarily helpful but just wanted to provide an explanation, as a lot posts/comments online show that people all over the world have a similar experience, as to what I reported above. There is a mixture of feedback from gamers who state P2P is the ideal solution for sports games, while others state having a server is much better. One post was mentioning that the server for a game like NBA 2K has serious issues when there are bunch of players online, so if you had P2P in that case you could avoid that, as you aren't dependent on a server to run the game online. 

RogersKevin

ea.jpg

Project Manager
Project Manager

@JohnBeaudin 

@Mythen

Are you still having issues watching streams on Twitch ? Or is it just broadcasting now ? 

RogersKevin

@RogersKevin

Just broadcasting, I can put anything higher than 2,500 kbs (2,5m/s) otherwise the upload can't keep up.. but I have 20 m/s upload and 3,500 kbs should not be an issue it's only 3,5 mb/s. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersKevin

The freezing I was experiencing while watching twitch streams seems to have corrected itself. Getting some buffering but that is a little normal. I would say it's 98% better than it was. The other 2% I can live with. Let's hope it stays that way. As for broadcasting. My wife does that and streams at 2500 kbs which she doesn't have an issue with currently. Well let you know if it becomes a problem

Mythen

@RogersKevin Just curious here, but do you have any idea of what's coming in the future? (i.e when DOCSIS 3.1 upload will start to deploy?)

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersKevin @RogersDave

Wondering if anything is going on in my area this evening.  Getting buffering on Youtube of all things.  even my upload streaming to twitch goes to almost nothing at times

What do you think.  

Mythen