Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Welcome to the gaming thread @Nadernt! Posting your signal levels should be helpful in diagnosing the issue, here is a recent post from @Datalink with steps.

@Nadernt The CODA-4582 modem with the firmware 2.0.10.27 included some changes that should help optimize the gaming experience. This coincides with other users on the forums who had also reported improvements in regards to gaming (ping/latency) with the modem & software version. If you are noticing a degraded experience with online gaming, then we would need to troubleshoot and identify the root cause. Analyzing the league of legends logs is very helpful in determining if your connection/area may be affected by an issue. If you are up for it, you could run some tests by following @RyzenFX instructions here.

I don't really play CSGO, do hop on from time to time. My experience matches with yours a ping that fluctuates here and there 40-50ms few higher peaks, played a match after seeing your messages. Appears the game runs fine for a MAC with the specs I have, I want to get a higher end PC soon (I'm a big console guy). @JohnBeaudin 

plays CSGO so may have some additional insight.  

From the testing I've done at my house with the CODA 4582 & 2.0.10.27 it showed improvements in ping/latency. Everyone has different needs so mind you I had the CGN3ACSMR with the Ignite package for a long time before before making the jump to gigabit & coda, and I enjoyed it, and it worked well for the family.  I was only gaming casually with consoles at that time and was not doing as extensive testing.

Keep the Community updated on how things are going, we are glad to help out!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

CSGO run much better on coda with .27 and D3.1 , that's the best you can get for now!

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you very much for the replies you guys. I'll look into getting the CODA modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nadernt if you're running an unlimited account you would be eligible for the CODA-4582. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, I am running an unlimited account. Is the CODA modem rent price any different from the rocket one? I can't seem to find the information on Rogers' website.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't believe there is any difference in the rental price.  You could always confirm that by calling the local Rogers store.  I don't seem to remember any change in the plan price after switching to the 4582.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the quick response. I will check into it.
I Plan to Stick Around

Made the switch to the CODA-4582 today. So far so good on initial ping and speed tests. I'll update soon with my experience over the next few days.

Bufferbloat numbers seem a lot better too, based on DSLreports test.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nadernt can you have a look at the following post, specifically the sections on wifi settings.  IF you have to change anything, reboot the modem after all of the changes are done using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/m-p/397159#M46192

Just to note, there are problems with Xbox One EA games, specifically that player matches can't be found with IPV6 running.  On that modem, with firmware version 2.0.10.27 loaded, as seen on the STATUS page, you can disable IPV6 by changing the operating mode in the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab from Dual (stack -  IPV4 & IPV6) to IPV4 only.   The modem will change to an IPV4 mode only.  You can reboot the modem after the change if you desire.  The WAN IP address is seen on the STATUS tab as well.  With IPV6 running you will see both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses present.  When you disable IPV6, you will be left with an IPV4 address only. 

If the firmware version on the modem was originally at 2.0.10.26, then the modem would have run a firmware update on first boot and updated to 2.0.10.27.  If not, then it will take 24 to 72 hours for .27 to load, where you will see much better performance. 

Take the Bufferbloat numbers with a grain of salt, so they say.  There are a couple of posts in the forum somewhere by @RogersDave concerning the Bufferbloat results.  They are't accurate if the test is left to run on its own.  If you set the service data rate, then the numbers will be considerably more accurate.  This has to do with the initial data rate versus the slightly slower data rate over the remainder of the test, which is interpreted incorrectly as Bufferbloat by the test.  I'll have to find those posts again to be able to refer to them.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. Good to know that TKIP isn't secure. My modem came with .27 installed. 

Is there any disadvantage to disabling ipv6, or should I just leave it on unless I run into problems? I don't play any EA games on console so I'm not sure if it will affect me or not.