Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

@elektrobug, first things first, don't ping some far off target.  This needs to be looked at, step by step, starting with the modem, and then the Cable Modem Termination System which is hop #2.  

Your last post shows packet loss to the modem and the CMTS.  You should not have any packet loss, in theory.  To the modem I'd expect no packet loss at all.  To the CMTS, your packet loss should be well under 1%.  

Any test like these should be done via ethernet and should be run for a 24 hour period as separate tests.

1.  Ping the modem, 10.0.1.1 using a 1 second rate to see the losses over the 24 hour test period. 

2.  Ping the CMTS, 99.229.50.1 to see if there are packet losses due to problems with the external cabling and / or connectors. 

When you ping the modem, you should not see any packet losses.  When you ping the CMTS, you will see packet loss from the modem if you happen to be running the white CODA-4582 modem.  Pingplotter and the 4582 modem don't play well together and the result is false packet loss indications.  These can be confirmed or discarded by running a command line ping to the same address.  If no packet loss shows in during a command line test, then Pingplotter is showing false packet loss indications. 

When you determine if there are problems ping the modem and / or CMTS, and resolve those issues, next step is to ping the Rogers DNS, which tests beyond the CMTS, but remains within the Rogers domain.  Only when that is done should you run a ping test outside of the Rogers network, or any ISP network that you might be a customer of.  Those three tests will let you know what the system is capable of.  When you test outside your home ISP network and cross multiple ISP boundaries all bets are off.  Very often ISP disable ICMP ping response from their servers, so you end up with 100 percent loss in a test.  That doesn't mean that the ICMP ping didn't arrive, but that there simply won't be a response from the "failed" server.  Every ISP sets its own rules and you get what you get unfortunately. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm not sure if this would help. I had problems with packet losses playing Rainbow Six Siege and Dota 2 a few weeks back and it lasted like a week or two for me. Restarting the modem or waiting for 5 minutes to restart the modem didn't help. Asking Rogers Call Centre was not much help either. I started checking the modem settings instead. What I found was there was a list of the ip addresses connected to it through LAN. Seems to be a problem from my PS4. It seems that the modem does an automatic port forwarding as well so I had a ton of port forwarding created to the same ip address. It reached like 3 pages of port forwarding. What I did was to remove all of the port forwarding and restarted the modem. That fixed the problem for me. There were no more problems with my online games. Each time the problem came back, I just restarted the modem and went into the modem settings (192.168.0.1) and cleared the port forwards again. I don't know how to stop it from automatically setting those port forwards for me so I've been doing this manually. Worked pretty good so far.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cyberkaki  any chance that you have UPNP running?  That would explain the port forwarding rules that you're seeing.  If you didn't create a static LAN IP address for the PS4, every time that you reboot the modem you might end up with a different IP address for the PS4 and a new set of rules for that new IP address.  If you create a static address, then there might only be one set of forwarding rules created.  

The question at this point, for you to determine, is whether or not the PS4 port forwarding rules are static rules, ie:  one set of rules fits all games, or, are the rules dynamic, ie: they change when you change games.  If they're dynamic that would be a pain as you might have to go in as you have done, and clear out any old rules.  I don't know if the modem allows the rules to be overwritten at all.  Possibly by using a static IP address for the PS4, you might be able to make this less painful.  

If the PS4 port forwarding rules are static rules, then you could simply turn off UPNP, delete the existing rules and reboot the modem.  Then, create a static IP address and the required port forwarding rules.  Reboot the modem again using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function. 

I've Been Here Awhile

The weird part was it was set to 192.168.0.13. Not sure what happened but the modem had like 10 of that ip address in the list of connected devices from that same ip. Then it created port forwards for it that many times which flooded my port forward table.

Rainbow six siege uses a set of udp and tcp ports. I recognize those ports as I used to manually set them on my Asus router last time to smoothen the game. Funny thing is now the port forwards aren't helping. I might try and switch off upnp to see if that helps. I do remember other problems when I switched that off on my Asus router but I can't remember what they were as that was a few years ago. I no longer use the Asus router modem now.
I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink 

It seems like the spikes happen as soon as there is any kind of load on the network. For example as soon as use another computer, or run a speed test (light 10-20% load from slow AP) the network stops responding and times out non stop.  I tried swapping routers and currently use a latest gen Apple AC model so I dont think its the router. I tried swapping (rocket) modems as well, I use it in bridge mode. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Just notice that it seems to time out and start loosing packets most often when I run speed test and it switches to the upload portion of the test.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello,

I've been experiencing serious packet loss while trying to stream to Twitch between 2:00pm-3:30 pm (I usually only stream on weekdays, so I'm not sure about weekends). This has been going on for about a month. OBS (my streaming software) is telling me I'm dropping frames because of the network. I've done everything on my end to try and fix it: I've upgraded the Internet, got a new modem, changed ethernet cables, updated network card drivers, yet I still experience the issue.

Every time I call Rogers to discuss the issue I'm told everything is fine on their end and it's my fault somehow. This is beyond frustrating, I've been streaming for over 2 years and have not experienced this issue until recently. I haven't changed anything hardware wise, I haven't suddenly changed streaming settings. 

I recently streamed via wifi from PS4 with no issues at around 8:00 pm. The issues seem to be during that 2:00-3:30 time frame. This situation has become beyond frustrating.

I Plan to Stick Around

Now that I'm finally getting my gigabit speed. My online games are lagging so much that its making my games unplayable. Games does show I have low ping but it still lags like crazy. Rarely have this issue with the slower speed package (Ignite 250u).  I might need to get them to switch me back to the old package even though it costs more....

Games I play: Counter Strike Global Offensive, Overwatch

Hey @teekhart and @stockylobster!

I can't stand having internet issues, especially when I'm trying to game or stream. I'll be happy to help see an end to this for you as best I can. As there's quite a few things to check and cover would you mind confirming the following for me?

1) The connection used is a wired connection to the modem with no 3rd party equipment connected.
2) Can you log into your modem and post the signal levels listed? This will be within the Status section. Be sure to remove your MAC address before posting.

3) When you spoke with technical support, was noise mentioned in your area?

4) Which Internet package speed are you subscribed to? (Gigabit, 500 etc.)

5) @stockylobster, does this occur consistently or only during certain periods?

@RogersAndy

I've Been Here Awhile

1.) My PC is wired into a Rogers Modem, no 3rd party devices.

2.) I'm not entirely sure what specifically you're looking for. The modem isn't very user friendly...are any of these correct? (These captures were taken at 1:30 am, I'm experiencing the issues between 2:00pm-3:30 pm on weekdays)

Modem1.PNGModem2.PNG

3.) When I spoke with Technical support I was told there were a lot of upload spikes in my area and a tickets was opened to look into it. This was about 3 weeks ago, I then went on vacation for a week when, when I came back, the problems continued while streaming. While talking to tech support once again, I was told the ticket was closed because they found no problems, which obviously there is.

4.) We have the 500u plan. I upgraded from 250u being told this will help...it didn't.