Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administrator
Administrator

Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Hi Community,

Welcome to the official Rogers Online Gaming Feedback thread! We will use this thread as a central point to discuss anything related to your online gaming experience on the Rogers network. @RogersDave will be joined by @RogersKevin, Project Manager to help capture everyone’s feedback and troubleshoot any issues directly affecting your online gaming experience.  Do note that both @RogersDave and @RogersKevin  have other full time responsibilities but will try their best to assist.  Our @CommunityHelps team will be here to help as usual.

We also recommend all of our gamers to sign up for the Rogers WiFi Modem Firmware Trial. Feedback from the Community has resulted in great improvements to the overall internet experience, specifically with regards to ping and latency on the Rogers network. For details of this program, please see this thread.

To learn more about Rogers and online gaming, check out our gaming page at www.rogers.com/gaming

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

Game on!!

Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Hi Community,

I’m @RogersKevin & just like many of you, I love gaming online. You may know @RogersDave & the awesome work he does ensure we provide an optimal Internet experience. We’ll keep this post updated with any known issues related to gaming. Always appreciate your feedback to help ensure we keep improving and provide the best possible experience for our gamers. Let us know what you think about Gaming online with Rogers!

Project Manager
Project Manager

Hey everyone,

Check out some of my results for the game League of Legends & CS GO. You will see a comparison from Firmware .26 & Firmware .27. I’ve also included some speed tests results.

11.jpg22.jpgspeedtest.jpgCSGO.jpg

What games are you playing & how is the performance?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersKevin Welcome to the forums and nice to meet you! I'm glad that you along with @RogersMargaret and @RogersDave have launched this forum post as we do have many gamers, including myself who are really concerned with bufferbloat, packets loss, and latency. 

Recently, we have come upon the topic of bufferbloat- as I had discovered that the bufferbloat seen in version 2.0.10.26T2 and previous versions have shown negative impacts in gaming, which were mostly noticed in League of Legends due to the very unresponsive gameplay. 

When firmware 2.0.10.27 was deployed, I was very glad to see that the new Intel base code had significantly improved the bufferbloat performance. As a result, I noticed my gameplay felt much more responsive and smoother in League of Legends. My ping decreased from 35-45ms to 24-28ms. 

I play a large variety of games such as CS:GO, Battlefield 1, Overwatch, H1Z1, Rocket League, and GTA V.

All have been performing great with version 2.0.10.27. 

I'm looking forward to see everybody's constributions to the forum post. Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Two thumbs up on launching a gaming thread, even if I'm not a gamer.  Ok, first question then, can @RogersDave or @RogersKevin comment on any progress with Microsoft for the XBox and Sony for the PS4 in terms of data rates and/or latency that Rogers users experience with those companies.  From previous comments in the internet forum, Bell users appear to experience better performance when accessing Microsoft and Sony's gaming and content servers.  I know this has been indicated to Dave in the past, just wondering if anyone can provide an update on the progress, or lack thereof for the XBox and PS3 & 4 users.  

Project Manager
Project Manager

Thanks @RyzenFX Smiley Happy

Appreciate the feedback, always great to hear directly from other gamers! I play a wide variety of games as well & love to try out new ones. The weekend that just past I was playing FIFA 17 on PS4 & remotely on PS VITA.  

Looking forward to hearing from others Smiley Happy 

In comparison to @RogersKevin logs of lag post above, I'd like to share mine as well.

league_log_1_may15.png

For those who are unaware what logs of lag is, it is a website based on HTML5 which allows you to drag your raw network logs from League of Legends and drop it onto the website. The website transforms the raw network data into a graph which displays the ping and packet loss and many more

How do I convert my raw network logs in League of Legends into a graph like above?

1. Under Local Disk (C) click into the folder called Riot Games and then click into the League of Legends folder
    2. Inside the League of Legends folder, find another folder called Logs
    3. In side the Logs folder, there is another folder called Network Logs
    4. Your network logs are ordered from oldest to most recent (newest logs are at the bottom of the folder)
    5. Drag and drop the log onto the website to see your connection data. 

Please keep in mind that not everybody will have the same ping and packet loss. For example, one may experience more packet loss because they are experiencing uplink node congestion, or your uplink connection within the household may be saturated. 

Rogers also has a peering agreement setup with Riot Games (company behind League of Legends) so that our connections get the best route to the League game servers in Chicago. With that, IDEALLY we should be seeing averaging a ping of 25-30ms.

I want to stress the idea that with Rogers' new Gigabit Modem (CODA-4582) users are able to take advantage of the DOCSIS 3.1 which helps in relieving congestion for download and upload, but as well provide more bandwidth and lower ping. OFDM is already deployed throughout the entire network, but once OFDMA gets enabled we should see our ping in to drop a bit more. Smiley Happy

With firmware 2.0.10.27, I can personally say that the CODA-4582 outperforms Rogers' Hitron AC modem lineup. For those looking for the best gaming experience Rogers has to offer, the CODA-4582 and firmware 2.0.10.27 strongly delivers.  

Project Manager
Project Manager

Datalink wrote:

Two thumbs up on launching a gaming thread, even if I'm not a gamer.  Ok, first question then, can @RogersDave or @RogersKevin comment on any progress with Microsoft for the XBox and Sony for the PS4 in terms of data rates and/or latency that Rogers users experience with those companies.  From previous comments in the internet forum, Bell users appear to experience better performance when accessing Microsoft and Sony's gaming and content servers.  I know this has been indicated to Dave in the past, just wondering if anyone can provide an update on the progress, or lack thereof for the XBox and PS3 & 4 users.  

Hey @Datalink Smiley Happy

Thanks for the feedback, glad we kicked off the thread ! Everyone is welcome, gamer or not Smiley Happy .. I've been gaming on PS4 & Xbox One without issue , is this specific to downloads from the console stores? Would be great to gather further details ! I think Dave has the Microsoft one on the list, I can inquire & update the list.

I downloaded Halo 5 & FIFA 17 on Xbox One over Wireless 5G recently. Was seeing speeds over 100Mb/s , haven't tested wired yet & can't recall downloading from the Playstation store recently.  I have seen threads about the PS4 speed test within the system not giving back the best results. Happy to test out some diff configs & report back.

Let me know if you have links to some of those old threads so I can review. I review a lot of forum stuff lol, you lose track after a bit haha... Thanks!!

Following this thread!

Network Architect
Network Architect

Welcome aboard @RogersKevin!

I have been working on the IPv6 issue with EA games for the last couple of days. I am working with some individuals on the XBOX team at Microsoft who happen to be IPv6 advocates so they are really trying to get this sorted out.

One ask that they had was to know your XBOX gamertag and an exact time when you tried matchmaking and failed on a EA game with IPv6 enabled. They will pull the relevant logs to better assess the situation.

On another topic, I've added to the issue list in the 2nd post and entry regarding buffering on Twitch. This still requires further investigation on our side with Amazon/Twitch.

Dave