Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Good Folks, I'm an absolute networking noob and was hoping to find some help here. Ive been having a lot of connectivity issues on my PS4 - Connection Lost - I have an upload speed of 2 - 4 mb on a wired connection on the ps4. I tried to do a ping and i got 100% packet loss. Also im not sure how to do the trace test that was mentioned here.

I'm Here A Lot

hmm, the high times on hop #1 is only when my modem is in bridging mode. even if i only have 1 PC connected to it with no activity present aside from the tracert.

factory resetting it to gateway mode, the tracert shows hop #1 to be 1ms 1ms 1ms.
this is weird? bridging mode normally should not cause the first hop to be so high?

tracert nb.pngtracert nb.png

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@expodonent were those original traces done with the pc connected directly to the modem with the modem in Bridge mode?  If so then they do make sense as the modem would not be seen in the trace.  What you would see is the CMTS as IP address #1, followed by the rest of the trace.  The response time from the CMTS is typically around 8 to 13 ms, although, in high load time it would be possible to see higher response times.  If you ran Pingplotter at 1 second ping intervals over a 24 hour period you would see the lowest response times very early in the morning, around 2 to 6 am, and the highest times around 3 to 4 pm when kids return home from school, and then later in the evening, around 7 to 11 or 12 pm when families are home, gaming, streaming, etc, etc.  

So, its not a matter of the Bridge mode times being so high, it more a matter that your looking at a different response point in Hop #1.  

For a modem in Gateway mode with a direct connection to the modem:

1.  Hop #1 is the modem

2.  Hop #2 is the CMTS

For a modem in Bridge mode with a follow on router and a direct connection to the router:

1.  Hop #1 is the router

2.  Hop #2 is the CMTS  (the modem does not show up in the trace)

For a modem in Bridge mode with a direct connection to the modem:

1.  Hop #1 is the CMTS

2.  Hop #2 is the first server enroute to the target IP address. 

Note, I really don't recommend this last configuration as it leaves the connected device wide open to the internet.  That also leaves the device open to the constant probing that occurs from miscreants located around the world.  Its typical to see several probes per minute, probing a variety of ports and protocols.  Anyone running in this configuration has be completely sure that the device can protect itself, or, be running a device that can be instantly reloaded from scratch in the event that its compromised due to the external probing. 

One of the moderators will have to approve the images that you just posted.  Until then, they're not visible to anyone else. 

Please note the following instructions from the previous post, so that you don't have to post an image:

To copy the data from the trace, right click on the top title bar of the command prompt window, select - Select All, then right click again on the top title bar of the command prompt window, select - Copy.  You can then paste that data into a text editor or post and delete any extraneous data from the trace.  This also works for ping results or any other command prompt type information.  That paste process will paste in the text data.  It may not line up exactly as was seen in the source data, but, it'll be close enough to be understood. 

Edit:  @expodonent with the modem in Gateway mode, can you ping Hop #2's IP address.  Let that run for an hour and then post the results.  The ping command is:  ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Use Ctrl +c to stop the test.  
You can also use:  ping -n 3600 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
which will run one ping every second for one hour and then automatically stop.
Your second hop response time is pretty high, so, I'd like to see the average, min and max times after a one hour run.  Are you in a house, apartment / condo / highrise, etc, etc ..... ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sam1011 what modem are you running, a black Hitron modem, where the model number is seen on the back of the modem?  It will be a CGN3xxxxx model number.  

If you have the white Hitron modem, it will be a CODA-4582 as indicated on the back of the modem. 

If you have the new Ignite TV service, the model will be on the bottom of the modem.  It will be an Arris or Technicolor modem.

Do you have a desktop connected via ethernet that you can use for speedtests?  The problem will running a speedtest via gaming console is that it will use the console companies servers for speedtests, which have shown to be rather lacking in past examples. 

I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink thanks a lot for the reply - it is the CODA 4582. Using a laptop, i got an upload speed of 16mb vs 2-4mb on the PS4 console. Is there a way to get a better upload speed on the ps4?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sam1011 what internet plan are you on, 150/15, 300/20 or 1 Gb/s / 30 Mb/s ? There have been numerous changes to the internet plan and modem combos that I've lost track of what modem goes with what plan. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink I have the Rogers Ignite Gigabit Internet
I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink  I was playing around in the modem and found the ping and trace thing, no clue what this means. I pinged against my ps4 static IP.

Result

PING 192.168.0.31 (192.168.0.31): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.0.31: seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.000 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.31: seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.000 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.31: seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.000 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.31: seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.000 ms

--- 192.168.0.31 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.000/0.000/0.000 ms
=============Complete==============

I'm Here A Lot

the original traces were done with PC connected directly to the modem with modem in bridge mode.

i did not plan to run the last configuration as i understood the risks of doing so.

i'm in a house.

here's the ping results of 1 hour:

results 

did another hour and average went up to 41ms, which was later in the evening

Hey @expodonent!

I would definitely recommend reaching out to us via @CommunityHelps so we can take a closer look. It does seem like there's a latency issue and we'll work with you to identify where it's coming from. To find out more about our private messaging system you can check out our Blog.

@RogersAndy