Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Hi there,

I am not able to play Fifa 19 online with friends. I looked into several forums and it seems I will need a public IP to able to host a Fifa 19 online friendly game as it is a peer-to-peer connection. Can Rogers change my WAN IP to a public one or is there any other way around this issue?

Thanks!

Good morning @teekhart!

Welcome to our Community!

Thank you for sharing those test results. I'd like to take a closer look and run some diagnostics from here before I recommend any troubleshooting steps. Andy and I are the resident gamers on this team so you're in good hands with us.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so that I may further assist. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi @RogersMoin sorry to piggyback but I've consistently for 3 days gotten 50-70% packet loss in-game playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CSGO) as informed by their network diagnostics. It spikes once, for 1 second, maybe every minute or so. Concurrently, I ran PingPlotter to evaluate the health of my network.

Although there were spikes in the competitive game there was no correlation in PingPlotter, hitting www.google.com. I'm beginning to conclude there must be a bad node for the route from me to CSGO's servers.

However, I am consistently seeing 30-40% packet loss on the first hop outside my router on any ping test. Be it google, my website, or ping plotter's website.

***Image removed for privacy reasons***

packetloss.JPG

I'd appreciate any help as it's very difficult to play competitively with the packet loss conditions.

Obviously going to state: I'm on a wired connection, rebooted both computer and combo modem/router.

Hey @f3ndot!

As a gamer and streamer myself who relies on consistency in my internet service for nearly all use aspects, I totally understand how debilitating this can be. Are you able to complete a traceroute using command prompt to the game server you're connecting to? This would give us a more conclusive look at where along the routing the issue lies. Be sure as well to remove your personal IP from the results :).

@RogersAndy

I've Been Around

Hi,

I've been experiencing what I believe to be packet loss while gaming on PS4 multiplayer games (primarily EA NHL 19, but still occurring on Dead By Daylight and Apex Legends). Started experiencing it late last year, however the "lag" seemed to go away around January, however it's since reappeared throughout the day but worse towards the evening. HD content hasn't been an issue as the household streams a lot of Netflix.

NHL 19's basic network connection page is reading between 4-12% packet loss on average per game, with very low ping (20-80 ms)

Performing basic ping test gets sporadic results with timeout errors every now and then.

Current setup:

- Ignite Gigabit Modem (in bridge mode) -> Asus AC86U -> Netgear switch (GS108E) -> PS4

Please advise on what testing software (ping plotter seems to be what I'm seeing a lot of), testing methodology, etc. I should perform to diagnose and hopefully resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Hey @ddta!

That packet loss during gaming is definitely concerning, and moreover a significant detriment to your gameplay. I'd definitely recommend from a service provider standpoint testing with a wired connection to the modem if you can. If the issue persists when you bypass the router and the switch then we can start checking to see if this is caused by an RF issue, noise, or equipment. Let us know what the results are direct to the modem :).

@RogersAndy

I've Been Around

Huge buffer bloat and internet slowdown tonight.  This is a freshly reset CODA-4582U router, wired connection, nothing else going on it:

Capture 210219 2133

Same thing happened on the 8th in the evening.  Immense slowdown, completely unable to play games without super lag.  DSL reports had bufferbloat >3k ms.

190208 2230

My tracert is utterly atrocious, this is just now:

tracert to google

Please save me!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jel771 can you run the same trace using IPV4 only, just to see if there is any difference.  I don't expect any difference for closely spaces traces.  

tracert -4 www.google.com

Please post the results.  Your problem starts with hop #2, the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).  The CMTS provides control over, and data services to the various modems connected to it.  The routing is from the CMTS to the local node to your modem, so, either you have congestion at the local node or at the CMTS.  

The best way to see this is graphically.  You could download pingplotter and use that to ping Rogers DNS, both in IPV4 and IPV6.  Pingplotter will run for 14 days in Pro mode before it kicks down to a limited freebie mode if you don't buy a Pro or Standard licence.  The standard licence is limited to viewing 2 days of data and doesn't show the jitter.  No loss in either case. 

Pingplotter and the white CODA-4582 modem don't play well together due to a timing issue within the modems firmware.  The result is to show abnormal high response times if you ping hop #2 only.  This only serves to complicate troubleshooting latency issues.  Pinging Hop #2 works for packet loss issues, but not for latency issues.  So, the next best target is the DNS, which keeps the target within the Rogers network.  The question at this point is whether or not any congestion at the local node or CMTS results in high times from the DNS.  If you want to see the high response times from the CMTS, use Hop #2 as your target and manually enter 0.05 into the Interval entry window.  Let that run and you will see the high response times.  That problem was introduced in firmware version 2.0.10.27 and its remained ever since.  That forces users to ping the DNS for troubleshooting purposes.  Beyond the CMTS however, there is no effect when you run a ping test to any other target IP address.

The one major problem with Pingplotter is that the plotted data is averaged when there is more data than can be shown as individual vertical pixels.  So, as you move up in time, from a 60 second plot to 5 min, 30 min .... 24 hours, etc, you are cramming more and more data into a fixed horizontal area, so, Pingplotter averages the number of data points at each individual horizontal pixel point.  The result is that the plot looks better and better as you scale up in time.  The high ping times are lost, which is not what you want to happen in cases such as yours.  Ideally Pingplotter should preserve the low and high times on the plot, personal opinion .....

So, to counteract the averaging problem, right click on the column title bars to bring up the menu, and select MAX and ERR for display.  Drag those columns to the right to sit beside the MIN column.  Leave the Focus time on auto, so that the upper text data time period matches the plot time period.  When you get to a point where the plot data is averaged, the text data will show the true MAX time response for the plotted data.  The ERR count is the number of packet loss instances within that period, so, if you had any packet loss from your home to the local node, that will show the count of those instances.  The plot will show red loss points.  

So, leave the ping interval at 2.5 seconds for now.  Ping the DNS.  Ignore the packet loss indications from the modem and CMTS, as shown in the upper right hand Latency area.  

Ok, so, let that run for 24 hours.  At 2.5 second ping intervals, you can display the whole day without running into plot averaging.  At less than 2.5 second ping intervals you will run into plot averaging.  

The question here is what does the response time look like in the very early morning hours, versus the heavy use after school and evening times.  You should see an average to the DNS of approx 9 to 12 milli-seconds with occasional higher ping times.  Don't be surprised to see higher times in the after school and evening time periods.  The question is, are those high times persistent, or are they occasional?  The problem with the trace is that its just a snapshot in time.  You really need to see the full day to understand what is typical for your location.  Pingplotter will provide that full day's plot, providing you don't run into plot averaging by running an interval less than 2.5 seconds. 

When you are done with a test, save the data so that you can look back on it at a later date.  Go File .... Export Sample Set ... All Data.  Save that to some appropriate location with a numerical system to keep the files in order.  I'm going to assume here that you might run more than one test down the road.  You can also use the Edit ... Copy as Image to copy the image data to the clipboard and then dump it into something like Microsoft Paint to save it.  I personally prefer taking a screen shot using Ctrl + Alt + Prt Scrn as it captures the interval setting and focus time, whereas the built in capture doesn't.  That data helps me when I look at someone else's pingplotter screen shot.  

Here's the Rogers DNS addresses that you can use for ping test purposes.  

IPV4:

IPV6:

Primary IPv6 DNS:

2607:f798:18:10:0:640:7125:5204

Secondary IPv6 DNS:

2607:f798:18:10:0:640:7125:5198

I've Been Here Awhile

I have been having super high ping spikes with consistent high ping in League of Legends.  I used to be at 30 - 35 ping before but now I m consistently getting 50 with ping  spikes of around 200 - 300.  I contacted Rogers Support and everything on my end seems to be working good.  Then I contacted Riot Support and I was told that they have been getting a lot of reports of high ping from players on a rogers connection.  I did a bunch of WinMTR tests which the riot support asked me to do and assured me that the issue is on rogers end.  Who do i need to contact for this issue to be resolved?

Hey @pranoyTen,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for your first post!

Ping spikes of 200-300ms would definitely cause some issues while gaming. Are you able to provide the traceroutes that Riot's Support had you do? (Please make sure to redact your personal IP address from the screenshot if you do) That will let us see which hops are giving you the high ping. 

Also, have you tried shutting down your Wi-Fi and directly connected your PC via Ethernet? That would rule out any other devices on your home network that might be causing the ping spikes.

We look forward to your reply!

RogersTim