Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Yea I have been reduced to watching anime and netflix shows. Games I can play are jrpgs so I don't need to depend on my online connection. Smiley Tongue Joining my Rainbow Six Siege friends come with a disclaimer that I plant all my gadgets and prepare myself for death as I rubber band back into a headshot.

Hey @pitfall21,

Seeing latency when gaming can be incredibly irritating to state the least but we can certainly review the service to see if there's anything impacting it from within the Rogers network.

Are you able to post the signal levels from your Gateway? You'll be able to find them by logging into the modem. Also, can you confirm if you've run a traceroute to the affected server you're connecting to? This would give us a better idea of where the latency is occurring.

RogersAndy

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know how to do the signal levels from the gateway.  But here is a Tracert I did just now.  In this instance, the timeout looks to be in the USA. Sometimes I get up to 3 and they may also be in Canada!   Thanks!

C:\Users\Family>tracert 14.1.30.122

Tracing route to aceitas.brightgoal.net [14.1.30.122]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

12 * * * Request timed out.
13 22 ms 24 ms 20 ms aceitas.brightgoal.net [14.1.30.122]

Trace complete.

Good morning @pitfall21!

Did you perform this test while you were connected via Ethernet or WiFi?

Could you also please include the full tracert results? We need to see all the hops in order to draw any conclusions from this test.

Thank you.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi RogersCorey,

I spoke with Rogers on the phone and they can't do anything about it as many of the timeouts are in the USA.  Anyway, thanks for the help.

I Plan to Stick Around

Timeouts are expected and not an error. Most networks these days block ICMP/Ping for security reasons. I do this myself on my Sophos XG firewall.

I Plan to Stick Around

So after being sucked into Rogers once again due to a 1Gbps deal in my building at a very decent price (And no bell fibe availability), I'm back a full year later and I'm having the SAME EXACT issues. Is there something going on in the area? Inconsistent ping accross all games, ping spikes going from 40-100ms, ideally on a good day I have a stable 25ms, but that's very very rare. 

I got fed up around a year ago and just decided to go with a DSL connection, but I think I made a mistake coming back to rogers even though I am paying the same price for a 50mbps DSL and a 1Gpbs cable connection, seemed like a good deal right?

Previously techs have come and said that theres "nothing" they can do. Is there anyone from Rogers that can actually help me with this? I'm honestly considering just cancelling this account again.

I've Been Here Awhile

I play PUBG mobile on my phone and its absolutely unplayable on on home wifi. Every few seconds/minutes the ping will spike from 60-90ms up to 300ms-900ms+ and this happens non stop. When I switch to my Fido cellular its butter smooth so I know its not PUBG/Amazon servers. Its not the equipment in my house and the signal level are fine so the rogers techs do not see anything wrong. When I wire directly into cable modem and ping 8.8.8.8 I get the same packet loss and same latency spikes. Here is the screenshot of traceroute to PUBG/Amazon servers in NA, the connection just cuts out. Anyone have any ideas of what is going on or how to fix it? @RogersDave @RogersKevin 

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 7.43.28 PM.gif

I've Been Here Awhile

Here is me pinging google DNS 8.8.8.8. Looks like the internet just stop functioning for a few seconds non stop, rogers techs telling me all is well. Just very frustrated and no idea what to do.

Latency google.jpg

I Plan to Stick Around

Welcome to the 100% Packet Loss club!  I have tried Rogers DNS, 8.8.8.8, and 1.1.1.1.  No difference.  I hope someone solves this.