Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

We have Rogers 500u, connected via a Hitron router (CODA-4582U). My son has been complaining for many weeks about lag when playing online games. We decided to install Ping Plotter and try to figure out what is going on. The PC we used was connected directly to the router (via cable, not wireless). We first ran a ping plotter session directly to the router with a very fast interval (0.05s) and had no packet loss at all after ~30 minutes. We then ran a session to the next hop out (which I believe is the CMTS?), with an interval of 1.0s. As the image below shows, we had packet loss 6 times over a 10 minute period. Is this normal, or does this indicate a problem somewhere outside our house? If so, how do we get Rogers to look at it? It is not convenient for us to have a Rogers tech visit our house, can they diagnose/resolve this without needing to visit us?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WayneStevens the packet loss indications that you are seeing are not normal.  Ideally you wouldn't see any packet loss, but, the practical reality is that you will see some minimal packet loss, which my testing has shown to be in the 0.1 % or less range.  

Since you are seeing a packet loss instance every minute to two minutes, I'd call tech support to register a complaint regarding packet loss between the modem and the CMTS.  Ask the Customer Service Rep to run a signal check on the modem to see if it passes and then run a ping to the modem from the CMTS, or ping the CMTS from the modem.  Keep your ping test running.  When you see packet loss, the CSR should also see packet loss.  Hopefully this will result in a tech visit.  Ideally you should be present for the visit, understanding that it is inconvenient.  This might be entirely due to the external cable from the local tap to the side of your home, if you're in a house.  For underground cabling that local tap is a waist high green box that should probably be within sight from your front door.  For overhead cabling, the local tap will be on a utility pole, that is close to your home.  

In terms of your son's gaming, we're talking about two separate issues here.  The first being the ICMP packet loss that you see with Pingplotter.  The second is the UDP packet loss that your son is experiencing with his gaming.  Its possible that its one in the same, but, its also possible that resolving the local packet loss won't necessarily solve the gaming packet loss.  This gets into questions regarding Rogers peering with other companies, gaming companies included, and the peering throughput data rates.  This is a complete black hole, personal opinion.  When you exit the ISP system, your at the mercy of the peering arrangements and transit performance as any given packet runs through many different companies enroute to the end server.  I wish I could provide better advice here, but, that simply isn't possible.  I'd like to see a discussion with the network engineering staff regarding this problem, but, I'm not predicting that will happen any time soon, if ever. 

To be fair, the gaming companies don't make this any easier.  If they really wanted to they could set up a UDP based DNS server that could be used for UDP test purposes.  That would really allow the end users to determine the true UDP losses to the the same gaming server or to a co-located test server. 

Beyond calling tech support, I'd let that test run for 24 hours, looking for packet loss in the high load times and possibly no packet loss in the very early morning hours.  If the packet loss continues throughout the day, I'd say that its a cable problem, most likely the external cable.  If the packet losses increase during high load times, as in during the evening when your neighbours are home, gaming, streaming, etc, etc, and drops to no loss, or very little loss in no load times, then I'd say that you have a CMTS issue to deal with.  But, you won't know that unless you let that test run for 24 hours or more.  

When you have time, can you have a look at the following post, and its embedded link, for comments regarding Pingplotter. 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32225577-

I'm going to ask the moderators to delete your image as it contains your modem's IPV6 address, which I would prefer not to have posted in an open forum such as this.  If you want to post other IPV6 pingplots, dump the image into something like Microsoft Paint and wipe out the IP addresses from the first line, which is your modem's IPV6 address.  IPV4 isn't an issue as the usual LAN IP address that shows up is 192.168.0.1, which doesn't reveal the exact modem WAN IP address. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your helpful reply, I will call tech support and see how it goes.

I've Been Here Awhile

You have exactly described the problem I have been having with CSGO for a while now. Glad to hear that I am not the only one. On rare occasions, I also notice rubberbanding (though that might just be congestion?). Finally, I find that I cannot play on FACEIT servers at all. I mean, the ping is fine and I don't seem to have any packet loss but something just feels off.  I suspect, though, that this might be a separate issue (from the one you described) as this "off" feeling doesn't occur on ESEA servers or other community servers. Maybe its a Rogers peering to FACEIT servers problem (I recall being able to play on FACEIT just fine with my previous bell fibe 50 line)?

For reference, I have the Ignite Gigabit package with a Coda 4582. Initially, I thought that bufferbloat might be causing some of these issues but after buying a separate router and putting the modem in bridge mode, I found that while my bufferbloat was reduced (based on dslreports' test which went from a C to an A [A+ if i do some shaping]), the problems have not gone away.

I also wish that Bell did FTTH in my area. Currently, I am considering getting a second internet connection (probably a dsl line with techsavvy or start as I didn't have these issues with my previous bell connection) just so I can play some cs in peace. Though, I'd rather not be paying for a second connection and wish that the rogers one just worked.

Edit:

@Phexon

What you may be saying may very well be the case but based on some quick tests at various times of the day (early mornings, late nights, middays during both the weekends and weekdays (I work from home so its easy to run a few quick tests here and there)), this might not be a case of congestion. Also, during these times, my upload speeds have generally been fine I think.

I've Been Here Awhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-boqkqh91Cs

I know this video is from 2016 but the problem still exists, on and off...

Is that what your CSGO "lag" is like? I've talked to many people with Rogers internet that play CSGO and it seems like this is the problem. Calling CSR doesn't seem to help, and from what I've read around the forums it comes down to the Casa CTMS having high latency.

I was reading a 2016 thread about this and @Datalink said that Rogers was working on it with Casa (https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Internet-and-Latency-Spikes-Need-Help/td-p/36045...)

... it's 2019 now and seems like the problem still persists. At this point it seems like switching to Bell is the only option if you don't want the problem.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yup, that's exactly it.

Well that sucks.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The problem arises from ping spikes (intermittent packets that are sent with extremely high latency). Due to the fact that customer support reps only care about AVERAGE ping, they deem the problem "non-existent".

If you have 100 packets sent... 90 of them are 10ms and 10 of them are 100ms (which is a big problem noticable with high-tickrate/packet games like CSGO), the average is still 19ms, which they deem "good" and find no reason to look into. I have yet run into a CSR that actually understands the problem of having ping spikes, even if it's just a packet or two.

Even worse, I'm not sure how often test packets are sent during a CSR "diagnosis" - if they're sent every 2 seconds and the ping spike happens for 0.5seconds in-between, there is no way this is even detectable on their end - which is often the result I get when calling in/online chat.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have this problem too.  I play mostly on Chicago servers and the ping bounces around from 30-250 on the same server.  I have swapped out Coda modems, talked to tech support, ran Tracerts that show timeouts (which is when I asked Rogers to change my routes, nope!!), and all my modems think I live in London instead of my city with is 3 hours away! By chance, last week a bunch of us on the same server were complaining about weird lag 30-200-40-250 and it turned out all 5 of us were on Rogers from different cities in Ontario!  So somethings up.  Does anyone know if the new Ignite modem is better than the Coda modem?  Thanks

I've Been Here Awhile

I am also having issues with my connection now with games like Dota 2 and Rainbow Six Siege.

On Dota 2, I would constantly have this problem where things stop moving and then every teleports. Seems to happen every few minutes sometimes. Sometimes it is okay again for 10-15 minutes and the problem comes back again. Seems to keep happening whenever a big team fight occurs.

On Rainbow Six Siege, I would experience rubber banding where I would reverse back to my initial location. Today it started to have the same problems like Dota 2 as well where everything stops moving and everything teleports like a quick fast forward.

I was thinking maybe the problem would go away but this time the problem persisted since the week before Christmas until now. It is starting to get really annoying. Friends that's also living in downtown Toronto near Yonge and Bloor have started to give up and switching to Bell. Not sure if that would help but I'm starting to lose my patience too...

I Plan to Stick Around

Trying to play online again right now.  If you have a video game addiction, use Rogers internet.  You can't play and you will be cured!  I'm picking servers with 30-35 ping.  The connections keep hitting 200 and all I see is other players sliding and me dying Smiley Sad     Today I made sure all my drivers were up to date, repowered the modem and my regular gaming PC, tried another pc.  Same problems.  Maybe If I write a letter to Santa Claus like that evil magician in Frosty the Snowman  "I will never ask for a price reduction ever again" 100 zillion times maybe just maybe my connection will be okay.  Lol.