Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Hello,

I've recently started playing more network-sensitive games and, like many others on this thread, noticed latency-induced stuttering.

Some googling around lead me to believe that the issue might be hardware related, as I have a modem with a Intel Puma 6 Chipset.

More precisely:
Modem: CGN3 (no suffix)
HW Version: 1A
SW Version: 4.2.4.11

At this point, I was wondering if the best course of action was to contact rogers to get a Puma 7 modem, or get a third a party router and use my current modem in Gateway mode?

If the latter, what are the recommended router options?

Cheers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MrPolytime, my current thoughts are to switch to the CODA-4582 which is a Puma 7 modem and use your own router.  I have to assume that you're not on a gigabit plan, but if you're on an unlimited plan, you would be eligible for the 4582.  In terms of routers, my choice would be the Asus RT-AC86U, which is a fairly new router, so, it will be supported for a few years down the road.  That has a 1.8 Ghz processor built in, which is probably the fastest processor that you're going to find these days in an off the shelf router, unless you buy or build a pc and load PfSense in order to run the pc as a router.  You would also need an additional ethernet card.  So, the 86U, which I have, isn't the most expensive you can buy, and its not the cheapest either.  The question is whether or not it will fit your budget.  That router can also be loaded with Merlin's Asuswrt, which provides enhancements and bug fixes to the stock Asuswrt firmware. 

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-official.51/

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

I don't have time at the moment, but, it you have other questions, I'm certainly willing to provide additional explanation later today or over the weekend 🙂 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the info @Datalink

I'm on the 150mbps unlimited plan, so that should make me eligible for the 4582. However, I'm wondering if I should be worried considering the CODA-4582 thread has 177 pages and seems to be causing a lot of people headaches.

Although I tend to know my tech, my networking knowledge is quite limited. Do you have any info or resources about the benefits of using a separate router? Budget is not an issue, but I'd like understand the exact benefits of using a high-end Asus router as a simple single-desktop user.

Cheers!

I Plan to Stick Around

On paper the CODA looks pretty decent, though I have not seen exact specs.  In reality, no matter how beefy it is, you have a lot of things going on vying for the attention of the ~2 cores (maybe 4?).  Having discreet networking components is a great way of ensuring that things do one thing as well as they can.

If I have the CODA in Gateway mode, I have a hard time reaching past 800 Mbps in any speed test. I put the CODA in bridge mode, and hook my R7800 up, and I can hit 900-940 essentially maxing it out. This is without activating any more advanced features like QoS. Personally, I am moving the R7800 in to an AP role and building my own x86 based router to run pfSense or LEDE. This is because I want the most advanced QoS/shaping and other features (adblock, intrusion detection) that I can.

As with anything, the spectrum of value/return for investment is quite personal, even if budget is not an issue.

I've Been Around

Hi, I have the coda-4582 and I’m running into issues with my ping on some games on my ps4. I read that if you have 2 consoles plugged into the unit it favours one over the other so to speak? I have my pc, Xbox one x, and ps4 all hardwired to the coda. I’m just wondering if there’s any other fix for this currently (or coming soon) besides buying another modem.

thanks a lot!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Stonecold I'm not sure where you heard that the modem will favor one device over the other, but, I wouldn't believe it unless one of the engineering staff indicated that to me personally and indicated that the info comes right from the code.  So, at the present time, I've never heard that statement. 

Now, what you might run into is the fact that the average modem or router isn't necessarily designed to use the same ports with multiple devices.  That's a definite issue, especially with two of the same devices, as in two Xboxes, or two PS3s or PS4s.  The same might be said where you have an Xbox and PS3/4 and both devices are attempting to use the same ports or port ranges at the same time.  

If that's the case, then, your only way out is to use each device separately, or, buy a router that will handle two or more devices at the same time without any problem.  You're not the only one that has run into this over the last week or two.  

Asus routers with Merlin's Asuswrt loaded comes to mind.  Merlin's Asuswrt is based on the stock Asus firmware, but includes enhancements that aren't found in the stock Asus firmware as well as bug fixes that are found by Merlin and the community of users who run his firmware.  

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the budget and how important it is to run multiple consoles at the same time. 

I'm a Regular

I don’t know if it’s just me but this new t03 firmware causing higher pings ? Can I go back to 33-t3
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lethalsniper is the modem running in Gateway mode or Bridge mode with a router behind it?

I'm a Regular

Gateway mode
I'm a Regular

@Datalink it’s on gateway mode like it was always with 33t3. What has changed from t3 -t03 ?