Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

@pjstanislaw wrote:

Hi there,

I've been experiencing terrible lag when gaming. I've tried everything from swapping my modem to getting a VPN and I am still experiencing the same issues. I have the CODA 4582, software version : 2.0.10.28T2. The lag is a lot more noticeable at peak times, I don't really notice it in the mornings. What can I do, this is driving me insane?

Thanks.

@pjstanislaw

The issue is congestion on your Node. Since the lag increases during peak hours that tells me there is high usage on your Node, and it's causing your latency to increase. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do, Rogers does monitor the Node and *might* do some upgrades if things get really bad.

I'm Here A Lot

My latency doesn't necessarily increase, but I notice these little micro stutter lags even when my ping is stable. But I can definitely tell that it's isolated from around 4pm and onward. I don't really know how things work on the outside so excuse my lack of understanding but surely there is something that can be done to improve this? 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but need some advice on port forwarding. We are a family of gamers and have 2 ps3s and 2 ps4s in the home however I am not very tech inclined... We have been having issues playing WWII on ps4, we are not able to connect with any of our online friends and continually get an error saying we cannot connect to the host. The game requires UDP port 3074 to open the required port for an open NAT type in-game. It also states depending on your router, you may be able to enable UPnP port forwarding  or add your ps4 system to DMZ to get the NAT type to appear open in-game. I logged into my modem settings and UPnP is already enabled so I enabled DMZ and added my ps4s IP address. Unfortunately that resulted in a strict NAT type and I am afraid I made things even worse. I decided to try and open the port required and I am not able to make any new rules because the spaces are all full. This is where I need help, I have no idea from this point what I can disable and or remove to make room for a new rule that will allow this port to open. Please help!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some of the UPNP stuff that other things open (skype, etc) while they can help with those things running a little better, are not completely necessary.  You could turn UPNP off, and delete those ones out of the list.
Unfortunately, the wifi in these units are fairly basic in the routing/forwarding, etc setup wise.  And have a limited number of forwarding that can be done.

The other issue that you run into is..  Forwarding is generally done for ONE endpoint address.
So if something needs port XXXX, you open it up and point it to the one playstation.
Now the next one needs the same port.
Now your into a problem, as you already have any things on that port, already going to the OTHER playstation.

You could lower the firewall level overall, it may help somewhat.. but that does leave the overall firewall less secure.

Unfortunately there is NO good solution for this.. you look it up, and there are tons of people saying the same thing with no real solutions.... Bar having two internet connections.
(The only way i could MAYBE see you squeek this out.. would be put the modem in bridged mode.. and put in two separate 3rd party routers.  At least right now, it will dole out each a separate IP address.. and then can do forwarding separately on each.  NOTE: this is not really supported by rogers and could stop working at anytime)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cherrybomb_1986 are you looking to run all four playstations online at the same time?  

As @Gdkitty indicated, the problem here is that the vast majority of modems and routers are only designed (as in firmware design) to run one console.  The minute that you attempt to use the same ports for multiple consoles, you run into trouble.  The modem or router doesn't have the firmware necessary to keep track of which port and LAN address is used by which console, specifically where the same ports are in use by different consoles and LAN addresses.  It doesn't matter if the consoles are Playstations or XBox's or some combination of the two.  So you need a router that will support multiple consoles.  An Asus router running Merlin's Asuswrt comes to mind, but, I'll have to post a query in their forum for feedback on this.  I know that there have been changes in Merlin's Asuswrt to support multiple consoles, I don't know if there are any limits on the numbers of consoles that his firmware will support.  So, don't give up just yet Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cherrybomb_1986 can you check your message inbox.  Log into the forum and use the avatar at the upper right hand corner as a link down to your profile.  You should see a number overlaying the avatar indicating that you have a message waiting.  Once in the Profile tab, follow the envelop link down to the inbox. 

I'm Here A Lot

Just took my PC to a friend's house on my street who also has Rogers' and had the exact same lag when trying to game. How can I escalate this to have it properly looked at, something is wrong in my neighbourhood and Rogers needs to fix it?

I'm a Regular

It took them 2 years to fix a congested issues in my area which every night my speeds would drop. The only way I got it fixed was complaining to the ombudsman of Rogers and president which she took care of it. Very sad it took sooo long
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having jitter issues on every game that I play. My brother and I both notice it (2 different gaming computers). I notice ping jumps on some games and on CSGO my ping doesn't jump at all but I still lag. Others spectating notice it and when I'm shooting my gun bounces. They all point out that I'm lagging but if you hold tab to look at my ping its fine, or if I look at netgraph it's fine. However like I said on other games the ping shows as spiking up. This all messes up my hit registry on every game that I play I have disadvantages compared to other users. I've spent countless hours on trying to fix it on my own with no solution. Really frustrating pointless even trying to game with this issue as it makes you look like an A+ player washed up to a D-. Appreciate any new ideas as it can help me try to troubleshoot my problem.

What we've tried:
Changing modem
Tried on different computers.
Ethernet ( always used ethernet for gaming)
Changing internet speeds (150/15 to 1gbps/30)
Tested different games.
Reset internet also tried disconnecting every device except for one hardwired computer while playing.
Had a technician come in
Updated drivers
I've Been Here Awhile

I guess my only next attempt is trying to change ISPS.