Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Just did another test and it's back at high ping again Smiley Sad

First game I played was around 1 pm at 30-35 ping. Just played another at around 7 pm and my ping is around 90. My ping was around 30 at all times of the day before so I'm not sure what is going on.

I Plan to Stick Around

I plan on getting a new modem tomorrow and hopefully, that resolves the issue. Is the new CODA modem available for customers who have rogere ignite 100u?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, from what I understand, any unlimited account is eligible for the CODA-4582. 

I've Been Around

Hi, just curious to know if you're still having issues with high ping. I started having this issue with my Ignite 100u (Richmond Hill area) 4 days ago. I'm averaging 200+ ping consistently, and this all happened out of the blue. I was advised by a Rogers rep to connect the AC adapter directly to the wall and switch out the modem to a new one if the problem persists. I've done both the ladder without any luck. Hopefully your situation is better by now.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yep still have higher ping than normal. 

I have Rogers Ignite 500u and I'm getting 100+ ping in the afternoon when I have others using my internet. It's about 60 ping in the morning with no one else using the internet. In comparison, I normally get around 30 ping. It's been like this for at least a week now and the issue is still here.

I've Been Around

So I moved to a new place and joined Rogers with my housemates but for the whole month, we've...or rather my devices have been dropped continuously for seemingly no reason and without warning.

So here's what will happen:
I can do livestreams to TwitchTV, upload huge files, and play games but after having left the network alone for a bit to maybe draw/eat/etc I'll come back and my connection will not work, on more than just my PC.

My Windows 10 PC is using a wired connection, and suddenly doesn't get any network, doing Troubleshooting tells me that my primary DNS is not working.

Next my Mac Laptop is a wireless connection, when it doesn't get internet, I'll check troubleshooting there, and I'll get two problems; 1. The ISP doesn't respond at all. 2. My IPv6 suddenly tries to become my IP address.

The final few devices doesn't make any sense being dropped, my PlayStation 4, my WiiU, my iPod, and an Android Phone.

We're using a CODA-4582U router that we were given by Rogers.

We called Rogers to see if maybe it was something on their end, but it doesn't seem so. They had said it would have to be the router being set to blacklist, but it's not set to blacklist or whitelist. We thought maybe it had bugged out and blocked some connections, so we did a factory reset and even gave it a new password, but no this didn't fix my problem meanwhile everybody else's phones, computers and game systems still work.

Edit: This doesn't just happen with gaming, it happens even while the network is idle or I'm just going around the web, watching YouTube, looking things up etc. Basic everyday internet stuff.

I'm Here A Lot

Nope, my ping doubles to triples during busy hours like from 5PM to 11PM in Kitchener, ON near Victoria and Westmount.   There are a lot of apartment buildings here so, the landline is probably heavily used by multiple people during peak hours. Although they should also make way more money as a result... So idk what their problem is.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ArcDargo the one item that comes to mind is to disable IPV6 so that the modem runs IPV4 only instead of Dual mode.   Can you try the following when you have time, and that is to switch the modem from dual mode IPV4 and IPV6 operation to IPV4 mode only.  To do that, log into the modem, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab, and change the Router mode from Dual to IPV4 only.  Save the setting.  It will take a couple of minutes for the modem to switch to IPV4 mode.  I usually reboot the modem after that.  To do that, navigate to ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET and run a reboot using the Reboot function.  That reboot should ensure that the connected devices all have a singular IPV4 address that they are using.   One thing to note, if you run an XBox, you might prefer to have IPV6 enabled, however, it would be worth testing your devices with IPV4 set as the Router Operating Mode.  That might take some negotiation with your housemates, but, I'd be interested in knowing if that clear up some of the issues.  The Android phone, mac and pc would use IPV6 if they were able to, I'm not sure about the other devices.  That being said, if you're having issues with IPV6, I would expect your housemates to experience the same problems.  

For the Windows 10 pc, consider disabling the Power Management setting which allows the operating system to power down the adapter.  That can be found by drilling down into the Ethernet Controller Properties .... Power Management.  Also consider disabling the Shutdown Wake Up and Wake Up Capabilities in the Advanced settings for the ethernet adapter. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'd love an answer here. It has been months and I am still having this same issue. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I dont' know whats going on, Still have an issue with ping spikes.. Can anyone assist me? Honestly don't know what to do at this point. 

I should be getting a nice and steady 25ms in League but instead have to play through constant ping spikes that go up to 100 and then back down again.

I was using a software called "Haste" which managed to keep my ping down to a steady 28 almost all the time, but now that my free trial has run out i'm back to playing with lag, and don't really want to pay for it would rather just consider changing my service provider if this doesn't get addressed in a timely manner.

Can anyone suggest on next steps? I've tried calling rep but they haven't been helpful at all.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that I'm the only one using the internet on a wired connection, And i'm not streaming/downloading anything while I play.