Rogers Modem NAT problems / gaming ?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers Modem NAT problems / gaming ?

Datalink, your statement on IPv6 caught my eye.

So you said that Rogers has implemented IPv6. As you said IPv6 is said to be a game changer when it comes to NAT and portforwarding issues. This may be the solution to all the matchmaking issues that I've been experiencing. 

HOWEVER, you said that a factory reset is required to enable IPV6 operation in Gateway mode. Should I factory reset my modem to take advantage of IPV6? Also, if you're using IPV6 can you list your experience with it?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the fast response!
I talked to someone at xbox and told them the only way the ports do not automatically reopen is by turning UPNP off and they said i really need that function but he talked to someone else and the other gentleman said i could turn UPNP off but forward a TON of ports to my xbox so i could still have a good expierence i asked if i would need to forward more than the recomended ports xbox lists and he said many more too many to name over the phone, As far as the controller bumper trick that seems to be patched i have tried it many times and i don't believe it has worked in about 5-6 months,

I am curious what ports i would need to forward to my xbox so that i could turn UPNP off, 

also ust a quick update from my post earlier i replaced the modem a few hours ago and got rid of the ghost network that was attached so there's one bit of good news.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RyzenFX, at the present time Native IPV6 should be available network wide.  Log into your modem and have a look at the WAN IP address at the upper right hand corner.  If you're running the modem in Gateway mode and IPV6 was running I believe you should see two IP address there, one for IPV4 and one for IPV6.  I'm running my CGN3ACSMR in Bridge mode, so the actual IP addresses are empty although there is an indication for two address locations. 

Also check the Software (Firmware) version.  If you have a CGN3ACSMR, you may have the current 4.5.8.16 version loaded, or the latest version, 4.5.8.20 which enables IPV6 operation in Gateway mode.  The latest version for the CGN3 is 4.2.4.6. 

In both cases, in order to run IPV6 with the modem in Gateway mode, you have to run a factory reset.  The CGN3ACSMR requires version 4.5.8.20 for this.  After the factory reset you should log into the modem and check for the presence of an IPV4 and IPV6 address. 

At the present time I have IPV6 disabled.  I'm not in a headlong rush to start using IPV6.  I use OpenDNS for my DNS as it provides screening for known malware sites.  Thats not parental control, just web address screening available thru OpenDNS.  What OpenDNS doesn't provide is that same service for IPV6 users.  It will and can provide address resolution for IPV6 addresses, but not the screening.  So, for now, no rush, I'm content to stay with IPV4 until OpenDNS provides the same screening for IPV6.  I'm also considering pfSense and the screening that it can provide, but have some research to do. 

Security with IPV6 should be a concern for everyone who uses it, and that runs from the firewall type that is used, stateless, or statefull to the screening capability of DNS services and anti-virus / anti-malware programs.  Previously you had a IPV4 firewall with one external address, now every device on your network has its own address.  While there is some level of security in the number of address that would have to be scanned before anyone hits an active address, there is still the issue of getting yourself into trouble by navigating to a site that should have been screened and was previously screened in the IPV4 world.  Hopefully someone who is swept up in the security aspects can offer some advice and opinions here. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User1414294, have a look at the following port forwarding site:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/HitronTechnologies/CGN3/Xbox_One.htm

Note that you can't forward port 80 on the Hitron modem. 

Have a look at these Microsoft sites as well for the ports:

XBox One

http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

XBox 360

http://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-360/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

If you're going to set the ports manually, disable UPNP in the modem, clear out the existing ports from the port forwarding list (take a screen shot for reference first) and then reboot the modem.  Then go in set a static address for the xbox so that is always uses the same LAN IP address, and then manually set the ports.  When that is completed, reboot the modem once again.  You should be good to go.  The static IP address can be set thru the DHCP reservation function.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Datalink Thanks for the quick reply. Currently I'm running 4.5.8.16 on my CGN3ACSMR so that means that my modem isn't using IPv6. I did however read a statement saying that they just started the IPv6 rollout for the CGN3ACSMR last week. I would love to receive 4.5.8.20 to experiment with IPv6 right away.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Version 4.5.8.20 is rolling out across the network now.  I would expect that by the end of next week it should be complete.  So, to run IPV6 with the modem in Gateway mode you need that version.  If you are running the modem in Bridge mode with an IPV6 capable router behind it, then you can use IPV6 now. 

For anyone else reading this thread, the CGN3ACR is not getting an update at the present time to allow IPV6 operation in Gateway mode.   So, if you wanted to run IPV6 in Gateway mode, you need either a CGN3, or CGN3ACSMR with version 4.5.8.20 loaded.

I've Been Here Awhile

I just tried what you suggested exactly and it didn't work for me, It said my NAT was open but as soon as i restarted my xbox it went back to moderate, Also xbox recomends leaving UPNP on because they said if i turn it off i would need to forward a lot more ports than what is recomended online so i don't run into trouble, Also my software on the router is 4.5.8.16 so hopefully this update fixes some of the bugs! 

I'm Here A Lot

I'm in the exact same.problem. Roger's charges insane prices and has bad service. I'm on the verge of switching cause they can't fix my issues.

I'm simply trying to play PS4 and I'm always being kicked out of parties and disconnected. It's definitely an issue with this Chinese garbage hitron. So what am I to do other than switch to Bell? Don't tell me to swap out my router because that does not help. I've been with rogers for many years and now their garbage service and lack of support is going to force me to switch.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Possibly @RogersAsif can help.  I believe he runs a PS4 for gaming.  The Hitron modem does have strict NAT policies and that appears to cause issues for gaming, but, they're not insurmountable.  However, running UPNP on the modem can alleviate some or all of these issues depending on how many rules are required by the console.  The modem limit I believe is 9 forwarding rules, so that makes it interesting if you have a number of single ports that require forwarding.  Sometimes you have to group a few together and forward a range of ports that includes the single ports.  I'm not a huge fan of allowing UPNP to run on a modem, but, there are times like this where UPNP might do everything that you need to do. Your post leads to a few questions that might help find an answer. :

1.  What modem do you have, as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem, CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3ACSMR or other?

2.  Can you log into the modem and if you have a CGN3 series modem, let know that Software (firmware) version is loaded on the modem, as indicated on the STATUS page that is shown after logging in?

3.  Navigate to the STATUS ..... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text components of the tables which are the cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios.  If there is any signal issue, that should show up in the tables.

4.  Are you running the playstation via ethernet or wifi?

5.  Do you have UPNP enabled in the modem?  On a CGN3 series modem, this is located in the BASIC ..... GATEWAY FUNCTION page.

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hello @Datalink & @tyffty

Correct, I am still playing PS4 Smiley Happy I haven't been playing much online, but I have been playing Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse. The game does connect to the Xenoverse server at the beginning & I haven't noticed any drops nor has my PS4 lost connection. What games are you playing? Also, when is it dropping ? Does the PS4 lose the connection or are you losing connection when playing a game?

My suggestion is to run the CGN3ACSMR or bridge and use a 3rd party router that provides advanced settings.

RogersAsif