Rogers Mail Keeps Timing Out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers Mail Keeps Timing Out

@clueless1

@clueless1 wrote:

why is this saying it's solved when it isn't ?

Very valid question - Welcome to the forums by the way.

The original "solution" was as follows:

"We have received reports of some customers experiencing this issue. In some cases, clearing the cookies and cache on your browser resolved it. Have you already tried that? If so and the issue persist, please reach out to us via private message @CommunityHelps, so we can escalate a ticket.

Our private messenger is explained in this blog."

This was about the 3rd or 4th answer to the original poster (OP) and I interpret it as, at that time. some reports from customers (must be beyond the 2 or three in the original thread from other support sources), have reported resolving it by clearing the cookies and cache. Have you tried that - that would be a question?

So I read that "solution",  as saying, "based upon other reports, clearing cache may help resolve this issue, give it a try, and if it doesn't help, then contact us so they can escalate a ticket.

In a way that would be the solution at the time - as that is all they knew, and if it doesn't work, they are suggesting their group be used to escalate the ticket.

You could try that, and also do a discussion through any other channel, and in a way, that is always the first level of response - this is something that may help, and if not, contact one of our channels for tech support and escalate a ticket (basically the only way you can get these issues moving is to persist with tickets and escalation through tiers of support or to report a concern if you wish).

So why is it a solution, you ask - because at that time, the writer considered it a solution, but as we all know, the issues have continued and even become more complicated with the Yahoo page issues, timing out, and other things (the reason why I persist in saying that this forum service has a significant problem with its inability to handle subthreads - in a sense under this model, you should probably treat the solution presented as that, then no discussion would go further, and a new thread would begin (in other models - a subthread - entitled email timing out solution previously provided not working - new issues.

Or something like that, but generally, it all ends up falling under the same thread as the other approach would end up with a ton of connected threads all talking about similiar issues and the users would be lost to find solutions.

So you are right in your question.  It was an initial suggestion, but as for a solution to the the whole thread, not sure we were ready for it to be the solution.

The problem with marking it early, is it comes back as it did in another post to look at that solution as the best known solution, while members are learning more and more about what is going on through their tickets and escalation.  So the "solution" does guide us to try something, and if it doesn't work, then contact Rogers (any channel you prefer) and open an ticket and keep the pressure on the ticket.

Then we can do as others just did and tell what we have learned.

So no clear answer to this so far - everything as suggested so far our just a lot of frustrated users, and helpful members trying as many different ways to go at this one to at least develop a workaround, while we identify who the true repair of the problem belongs with.

Again, welcome to the forum - great question - asked by many before - just an artifact of the design of this forum server software.

We work around it with tags, quotes, links back to posts very deep in the thread and so forth - it sort of works.

Hope you get your email and site login's solved and we can all go back to just using our services.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In an earlier post in this thread I mentioned that:

@57 wrote:

I have bookmarked my Rogers login page with my e-mail address (which is in the URL). All I have to do is type in my password.  It looks like this:

https://rogersmembercentre.com/rmcapp/remc.html#/signin?flow=YAHOO&userId=myemailaddress@rogers.com

If I sign-in using that link I'm taken to the Rogers Member Centre, however, when I click on "mail" at the top right, I have to sign in again on the "Yahoo" side.  This is really stupid.

So, I'm using the old link for Webmail, which starts as follows:

https://login.yahoo.com/manage_account....

If I login there, I only need to click the appropriate account (I have several e-mail accounts) and then type in my Password.  Have others also found this to be the case?  I'm guessing Rogers had so many sign-in issues in late October that they had to revert to "the old way"?

PS. Whatever happened to all the time-out issues?  Are those still happening and have people simply got used to them, or are things back to the "old way" on Yahoo?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's been over a week and no one has responded to the above post.  Does this mean that the time-out issue has vanished (or has everyone become used to it)?  Does this mean that sign-in is working properly for everyone (or are people simply "living with it")?

I've Been Here Awhile

The problem was fixed.

I'm Here A Lot

Rogers Yahoo Auto Sign-Out

For some time now following a set period of minutes my Rogers Yahoo automatically signs out giving me the following screen.

Ashampoo_Snap_August 26, 2018_08h59m02s_004_.jpg

This happens even when I'm in the middle of reading or composing an email, but only when I'm on my computer and the browser doesn't matter, Firefox, Chrome, Torch.  I can't find anything in any of the settings that will allow me to remain signed in without this happening repeatedly.  It's supposedly for my protection but I'm the only one who uses the computer, and it doesn't happen on tablet or phone.  Surely business users don't have to put up with this. Is there any way to resolve the problem?

Hello Geoguy!

Welcome to our Community!

I know these security features can sometimes be a pain but they are in place to keep your information secure. How much time passes after signing in before you see this message approximately?

Please let us know!

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm Here A Lot

It seems to occur roughly every 25 minutes whether I am composing, reading or it's just sitting idle, and then it becomes a 3 step process:

Ashampoo_Snap_August 26, 2018_08h59m02s_004_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_August 27, 2018_11h49m38s_007_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_August 27, 2018_11h52m30s_009_.jpg

and as I said since no one else uses the computer it's kind of pointless, and in addition 1.] it didn't start until about 3 months ago even though I've been a subscriber since 2008, it doesn't happen with my regular Yahoo or Gmail accounts.

Regards,

Geoguy1

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Geoguy1: Your first post was probably moved to this thread.  You may wish to check out some of the "workarounds" suggested earlier in this thread - sample link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Mail-Keeps-Timing-Out/m-p/407032#M48860

Late in 2017 (the two posts above your first post) the issue was supposedly solved since no one else came back with this issue up until you did 9 months later.  I have the following comments/suggestions:

1. As suggested earlier in this thread, deleting your history, cache, cookies can sometimes solve this issue.  Which browser are you using - lots of people have issues with Chrome - have you tried a different browser, or if using Chrome have you tried Incognito mode to sign in?

2. It's possible that Rogers performed an update recently and it has "re-started" the timeout issue.  Now that they have been made aware, perhaps they'll be able to "un-do" the timeout issue.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply.  I've been using Chrome for some time, so last night I logged in with Firefox and Edge, still experiencing the same issue.  I clear my history, cache and cookies regularly so that doesn't seem a likely cause of the problem either.  It points back to Rogers, particularly when it's necessary to sign in through Rogers Members Centre.  It would make sense if it timed out if there was no activity for a certain period, but when writing an email??  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Geoguy1 wrote:

It would make sense if it timed out if there was no activity for a certain period, but when writing an email??  

That is strange. Whenever I'm typing in Webmail, what I type is auto-saved.  I can see when it was last saved at the bottom of the e-mail that I'm composing and the e-mail gets saved in the drafts folder.  If I stop typing, the auto-save stops, but as soon as I type even one character, it is again auto-saved.  I suppose if you wait too long between typing, then you may be logged out?  I'm using POP. Are you using POP or IMAP?

If this continues and you are frustrated by it, you may wish to use an e-mail client like Outlook or Mail. I find those much easier than using Webmail.   I only use Webmail when travelling, or once in a while to check for real mail in the Spam folder...

Edit:  I forgot to sign out of Webmail and when I came back to the tab I was signed out. This happened in 30 minutes or less, so I'm guessing the time-out feature may be set for as little as 15 minutes?  Normally I sign out when I've finished there.

As mentioned earlier, this may be done for security purposes, but perhaps also for "resources"?  If everyone were logged in, they would probably need a larger server, etc.  If they log you out, this would require fewer resources and cost less.