Rogers Mail Keeps Timing Out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Mail Keeps Timing Out

@Dugi yes, thank you. I did figure that out myself. Still a pain that I have to even hunt my email down I was composing.

I just don't get the logic behind this change. EVERY TIME I go my email throughout the day I have to log in. I understand them beefing up their security (because Yahoo has proven incompetent in that regard- 3 billion accounts hacked...) 

But it's MY laptop in MY home. I'm not concerned of it being stolen. This should be optional to make it so frequent.

I'm seriously considering changing email providers. I hope Rogers is reading this thread and taking action to remedy this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the timeout is a security feature, then I don't consider that a bad thing necessarily.  I always logout when I'm finished with my e-mail tasks on Webmail.

For those who do find this an issue, perhaps you can recommend to Rogers to change the timing to say 1 hour, or to have an option to set whatever time you like, defaulting to the 15 minutes. 

Many websites (like banks, etc) where you need to sign in, will time out after a (relatively short) period of inactivity, although some of them (like Rogers Bank) will warn you before it signs you out.

One other option is to use an e-mail client (like Outlook or Mail) on your computer, rather than logging into Webmail.  I do all my e-mail on my computer in Outlook and only use Webmail when travelling, or when checking for spam once a week.

I'm Here A Lot

I agree with you 57.  I mostly use an email client so it's not webmail that's the problem for me.  It's my my.yahoo.com homepage that I have to sign in to every single time I open it in a new browser.  I've had it as my homepage for probably 20 years and it was nice to have all my stock quotes, email, news, scores etc on it, but I'm going to say goodbye and move on to something else.

As for this timing out/logging back on every time issue, first of all I don't think it's based on any predetermined amount of time, because for me I have to log back in every single time I open a new browser, even if it's 10 seconds after I've closed the previous browser. 

Second, if they have made this change for security reasons I'm of the mind that typing in my userid and password 20 times a day is more of a security threat than before they made the change.

Anyways, just my 2 cents worth.  I've moved on and in the process am saving myself about 10 plus hours a year that I would have been typing in my userid and password.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

shaker wrote:  I've moved on and in the process am saving myself about 10 plus hours a year that I would have been typing in my userid and password.

Don't most browsers allow you to, if desired, save the userid and/or password for a specific page?  Just bookmark the page and you're all set?

I have bookmarked my Rogers login page with my e-mail address (which is in the URL). All I have to do is type in my password.  It looks like this:

https://rogersmembercentre.com/rmcapp/remc.html#/signin?flow=YAHOO&userId=myemailaddress@rogers.com

@shaker wrote:

...I have to log back in every single time I open a new browser, even if it's 10 seconds after I've closed the previous browser. 

I believe this is normal with any website like a bank, which times out.  Nothing strange there.  Closing the browser closes the session.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@57 wrote:

shaker wrote:  I've moved on and in the process am saving myself about 10 plus hours a year that I would have been typing in my userid and password.

Don't most browsers allow you to, if desired, save the userid and/or password for a specific page?  Just bookmark the page and you're all set?

I have bookmarked my Rogers login page with my e-mail address (which is in the URL). All I have to do is type in my password.  It looks like this:

https://rogersmembercentre.com/rmcapp/remc.html#/signin?flow=YAHOO&userId=myemailaddress@rogers.com

@shaker wrote:

...I have to log back in every single time I open a new browser, even if it's 10 seconds after I've closed the previous browser. 

I believe this is normal with any website like a bank, which times out.  Nothing strange there.  Closing the browser closes the session.

I have difficulty comparing the security of my email with the security of a bank website! 

I'm Here A Lot

@57 wrote:

"Nothing strange" other than the fact that this has never happened once in the past 20 years (a quick calculation assuming I've hit my homepage 10 times a day for 20 years means approx 75,000 times with zero occurrences until now is "nothing strange"?).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

shaker wrote:  "Nothing strange" other than the fact that this has never happened once in the past 20 years?...

@WayneS1I have difficulty comparing the security of my email with the security of a bank website!  

I guess what I should have stated is that if a website is one that "times out", then there is nothing strange about the session being closed if you close the browser.  There are lots of websites that do this and you need to realize that you are now dealing with a different website from Yahoo, which was a website that was amongst the "most hacked" in the world. 

Rogers is now attempting to make your e-mail more secure through OAuth and time-outs.  I only mention a bank because it's an easy one that came to my mind. I'm sure there are others...

I'm a Senior Contributor

For me, all I want is a consistent experience and I am not getting this from rogers. Knowing that I have to login everytime I open my browser, I have decided to log out every evening prior to closing my browser. This evening, it took me 5 attempts to log out properly. This is unacceptable. Rogers has botched this 100%.

Also I agree with @shaker. I too use my.yahoo.com as my home page. I used to be able to remain logged in for 2 weeks before having to reaffirm my password. Having to re-login every single time I open my browser is a pain in the kiester.    

As for comments from @57, the My Yahoo page is not my bank account, or my hydro account (shudder), or my CRA account, or any other financial account where timing out after a period of inactivity would be a good thing. My Yahoo is nothing more than a home page portal. It should be my choice to login  and how long I can stay logged in. Right now, rogers is not giving me that choice. This is also unacceptable. 

I've Been Here Awhile

rogersmembercentre.com

it seems like rogers has done some awful thing that affects access to yahoo.  I use a couple of yahoo groups and now, whenever i try to access them i get some kind of hijack that tries to get me to rogersmembercentre.com but usually just fails. if it does get there and i successfully sign in i can access my groups but next time i try it's the same darned thing.

i know the yahoo groups aren't popular but i need mine and this is awful! anybody else?

I've Been Around

The new sign in procedure is slow, often bogs down and stops, says sorry problem on our end, and in general is unacceptable. I can not see how it adds any security.

Can we please get service at the level we are paying for?