Rogers Internet Service sucks in 2014.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Internet Service sucks in 2014.

We have all seen the Ads by Rogers that it has has the fastest Internet. What the public doesn't know is for customers the service is a nightmare. The last 12 months have been particularly bad, with dropped connections. On top of that it now has become a night to connect too Technical support with so many options; Press 1, press 2, press  4, and sub menus, Press 1, Press 2, Press 3. Technical support has taken a nose dive. Many of the operators haven’t a clue what they are doing. I actually believe some of them don’t own a computer.

If you’re a senior citizen as I am, your treat as a child,  asking you to repeat things over and over again.

Instead of making me wait 45 minutes for help as you did last night (Wed Jan 22, 2014 in Toronto area) between 6 pm and 10 pm. Instead have a small service announcement that service will be coming back online in 45 minutes or an hour.  So I can go and read a book or watch TV.

Why is Rogers afraid to admit they have technical problems and can’t give customers full service for a certain period of time? A few years ago, Rogers did this.

Tech person, goes through a myriad of hoops if he/she doesn’t know anything , to get service back online,  asking a zillion questions. If he/ or she knows what they are doing they reset the modem, which fixes the problem.

I have also found over the years no matter the quality of a store bought router. Rogers send a signal though once a year to disrupt it.  Suggesting you rent or buy their router, although not directly.

If Rogers can say they have the fastest Internet speeds. Rogers should be able to say publicly.  We have 99.9% fewer dropped connections than our closest competitor.

Will I go with another ISP, I'm looking....

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Internet Service sucks in 2014.

To conclude (Rogers Internet Service sucks in 2014.)

Tech person, goes through a myriad of hoops if he/ . the modem, which fixes the problem.I have also found over the years no matter the quality of a store bought router. Rogers send a signal though once a year to disrupt it.  Suggesting you rent or buy their router, although not directly. If Rogers can say they have the fastest Internet speeds. Rogers should be able to say publicly.  We have 99.9% fewer dropped connections than our closest competitor.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Internet Service sucks in 2014.Part 1 of 2

I agree, that there are certain aspects of Rogers' technical support procedures that leave much to be desired, but I don't think that it started all-of-a-sudden in 2014. Over the years, they've constantly felt the need to revamp and revise their phone menus. I understand that some people may find this frustrating, but ultimately it does help weed out the possible very quick fixes that make up a substantial percentage of their calls in a day.

When talking to operators, I've always noticed that there is a huge disparity between good tech support reps and lousy ones. The good ones, if you get one, actually take ownership of the problem and try and help you. They seem genuinly concerned and understand your frustration. They take the time to really understand the problem, and make it a point to follow up with you. The lousy reps don't really care too much, and it seems like the only thing they want to do for you is transfer you to the next department, or try and convince you that there is no problem. When I get one of these people, I usually just hang up and call again, as ultimately my time is the time that is being wasted. They HAVE to be there, and it's obvious in many cases, they don't want to.

To address your accusation that Rogers sends a signal through once a year to disrupt your Internet. Do you have any documented evidence of this? I have never experienced it, and I do not know anyone of my colleagues who has Rogers that has experienced or explicity seen this in action. Please understand that Rogers is always upgrading their infrastructure. As evidenced over the last 5 years, my level of internet service has gone from 50/1 to 75/2, to 120/3, 150/10 and 250/20. This is extremely fast growth for any network, not to mention a network that is distributed across a LARGE geographical area. To make these drastic increase in speeds a reality, there are a lot compoents between your house and Rogers' side to upgrade.

So, over the years; yes, there have been outtages, and yes, I have had to upgrade my modems in the past; but a lot of it has to do with just keeping up with speeds; infrastructure upgrades. I highly doubt their intent is in any way malicious though.

Cheers,

L.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is not saying you dont have bad internet... i 110% beleive that you do, etc.

But its not always global.  Where i am, the ONLY service disruptions i have had on my internet, were the DNS issues early last year (easily resolved by switching DNS servers perminantly).  Other than that.. where i am, have not had an outage in well over a year.. and always faster than promised services (well, speed boost, etc).
But... every area is different. 

I do agree 200% on your tech support assement though.  Especially comming from myself (being in the IT field and dealing with networking on a daily bassis).. MANY (more like most) are about as trained as my mother who still cant set a VCR... its very hard to get through to them that "hey i know more than you.. ITS NOT ANY OF THOSE PROBLEMS its SOMETHING ELSE".
Their support is a MAJOR thing that needs to go under review.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On a side note..

While most people that hate rogers internet.. are not LIKELY to get the rogers home security..
But i have found, its the BEST thing for getting internet support Smiley Tongue

When/if i was to call in about anything internet related.. i get pushed over to the home monitoring tech support.  Why?  The regular internet guys, dont have the training for the conectivity to the security system, etc.

I have found that 90% of the home security tech support guys, are ALOT better/knoledgable than the regular internet ones.

I'm a Regular

Most companies don't like to pay for training. These CSRs are probably reading from prepared scripts. "If this happens, try this, etc." Likely poorly paid temporary employees who were asking if you wanted fries with that last month.
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree. It seems every month they add in another line to the operator. If I remember correctly I had to press 2 twice to get to technical support. Now I have to go through a zillion options which I found make no difference. The operator asks if you are wired/wireless I picked wired connection when I get on the phone with the rep they ask me the same question that the operator asked... Then you have to put up with their garbage when put on hold/wait about how they have the #1 fastest speeds on loop which drives you nuts. Speeds don't mean much if they aren't consistent and stable.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I concur. If you dialed the wrong department and ask to be transered to techinal support. The person makes you answer name, address, age, etc befrore transfering the call. One day I said No. The operator refused to transfer me to Internet Tech support and hungup,  another asked my age over and over.  I called Customer Care and complained....What a rude pinhead.

I've Been Around

Yup, this is about the level I have come to expect from Rogers. We have a Cable box dangling from a Poll, but because of the trees around it, it is a health and safty issue to get to to repair, so, it remains, and thus my signal is so poor as to be un watchable, and as for internet, I have to use my rogers phone.

Will it be repaired, not this side of . freezing over, but apparently this isn't a problem.

I bet Rogers has taken lessons from BT in the UK as to how to deal with customers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you ever had anyone out to check signal levels at the house? replace cables, splitters, a power boster if needed?

Not trying to make escuses for them... but i have like a 99% perfect signal here (had them out a few times to get it that way), and have zero issues with On demand, internet, etc.. its always up, unless a MAJOR back end outage.

Many times, things like you describe, can be a signal related issue.

There ARE many 3rd party providers by the way, which can service the areas that rogers does.
Just be aware.. these 3rd party ones, always use rogers or bell lines (they own the infrastructure), so if there is any sort of signal or similar issue going on, the problems can persist through to the other companies.