Rogers Ignite speed...?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Rogers Ignite speed...?

Hey all,

Just curious; I just upgraded my internet to the Rogers Ignite 100 yesterday and picked up the modem (which I was quite disappointed to see was most definitely a second hand one as it was quite dirty). I connected it and it all went smoothly.

Here's my current setup:

-Wired connection to CPU

-Wired connection to PS4

-Wireless connection to PS3 (which is about 8 feet away from the modem)

-Wired connection to Ooma home phone

-Wireless connection to Sony Bravia Smart TV (which is about 8 feet away from the modem)

And then we have various devices which connect via Wi-Fi (Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Tab S, iPhone 5C)

When I tested my internet connection via the PC (using speedtest.net), it came back at a whopping 127 (i'm guessing MB/S) Download which quite impressed me. Then when I tested the internet connection on the PS4 (wired connection as well), it came back at a measly 32. When I tested my Wi-Fi connection on my Galaxy S3, I got 15 (while standing right in front of the modem connected to the 5G one which, I assume, is supposed to be faster)....is this normal? It's important to note that while I do connect a lot of devices, they are most definitely not all running at once.

Anyone else have similar results? Should I be concerned that, because I quite obviously got a used modem, it could be that it's faulty and was returned....? Thoughts?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite speed...?

The CGN3 is known to have problems with mixed device capabilities and it will restrict both, the number of data streams in use and the use of a co-channel or secondary channel required for 40 Mhz wide (higher data rate) channel operation in the 2.4 Mhz network.  That restriction limits all device data rates to the rate of the slowest device on the network.  That can be easily seen if you use a USB Wifi dongle in a mixed network.  Low cost dongles and other devices can or will be single channel only with limited data rates, as opposed to dual antenna, dual data stream laptops, capable of running at much higher data rates.

Also, the CGN3 Wifi Alliance certificate does not show that current operation of both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks is supported. 

The Wifi Alliance Certificate for the newer CGN3ACR indicates that both of these have been addressed and that modem is certified as supporting mixed device capabities and concurrent operation of both networks.

Fwiw, on the CGN3, the highest that I have ever seen on a speed test was 105 - 110 Mb/s on a 2.4 Ghz network, and 200 Mb/s on a 5 Ghz network.  This is on a 250 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up plan.

Edit:

The other issue is the possibility of living in a busy wifi neighbourhood.  If you install a program like inSSIDer to look at that environment, you, or we should be able to determine how tough it will be to see higher data rates.  The link below is to the last freebie version of inSSIDer.  It will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, but it does not display the newer 802.11ac networks which run in the 5 Ghz band.  The network display will show both in list form and graphically, how many other routers are running nearby and from the graphical display, it is possible to determine if there are better channels to be operating on that might yield higher data rates.  If you load the application, take a screen shot of the network display and post it somewhere that we can have a look at it, we can tell if there is a potential issue in the 5 Ghz band.  As I indicated earlier, the lack of support for 802.11ac networks is starting to become a problem with this version, so, if you are having an issue with a 5 Ghz network, its possible that there is an 802.11ac router running nearby.  If that is the case there is a newer version of inSSIDer available which will show that, but it is now a pay version.  If you do intend to make use of the 5 Ghz networks, for $20 U.S. its worth buying.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

http://www.inssider.com/inssider4/

The last issue is the capabilty of what you are testing with, which can make a big difference in the results that you see.  Do you happen to have a dual band capable laptop that would allow you to run a speedtest on a 5 Ghz network?  If so, give that a try and see what those results yield versus, the phone and tables rates.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing to double check, is the port connections (say in the case of the PS3).

What is the color of the light on the port on the back in which that one is connected to?

And what type of cable is being used?  These units seem to be REALLY picky about BAD cables, or anything lower than cat5e

I'm a Regular

Assuming you have the CGN3-ROG, make sure you have firmware version 4.2.4.5 ... if not, ask tech support to ensure it gets upgraded

For WiFi, change your security settings to WPA2 AES (not TKIP/AES) and turn off WPS (both 2.4G and 5G).  Double check it after all settings are saved

If that's not it, I would swap the CGN3 for another CGN3.  I'm on my 6th CGN3 and it seems to be stable although my speed flips between half and full speed on the 2.4 band when the CGN3 feels like switching between 20/40.

The CGN3ACR is slower and has less range than the CGN3 in my experience.  The ACR is intended to improve the 5G band... you might want to try it out and see, but don't expect it to be faster... plus the default bandwidth is 20, not 20/40 as in the CGN3.  Only tech support can access the Wireless Advanced tab to get to the bandwidth setting.