cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite Gigabit Very... very Slow Speeds

ToxikRick
I plan to stick around

I live on the Hamilton Mountain, and I just subscribed to Rogers from Bell. My Rogers speeds on Gigabit have never been more than 45-50mbs. Mostly, it's 10-24mbs. Rogers speed tests usually show 900mbs-1gbs, but speedof.me shows 300mbs. MY wifi shows no more than 37mbs-72mbs.

I got to the point of having a tech come out, and he did a bunch of speed tests and said there wasn't an issue. He said I will never get more than 50mbs with the 2.4ghz, and I would have to go on 5g. I tried that when he left, and same speeds... until it dropped. Now I'm going from no service, to 10-15mbs. Even Rogers speed test is showing 30mbs-57mbs now.

I'm at a loss... hoping for help here. Anyone else experiencing these issues in my area?

I will post this just in case... as I've seen it posted by others:

Downstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID Signal noise ratio (dB)
1 615000000 256QAM 6.000 11 35.780
2 849000000 256QAM 7.700 2 35.780
3 855000000 256QAM 6.700 3 35.595
4 861000000 256QAM 6.100 4 35.595
5 579000000 256QAM 4.800 5 35.595
6 585000000 256QAM 5.100 6 35.595
7 591000000 256QAM 5.400 7 35.780
8 597000000 256QAM 5.900 8 35.780
9 603000000 256QAM 5.700 9 35.780
10 609000000 256QAM 5.900 10 35.595
11 303000000 256QAM -0.100 1 37.356
12 621000000 256QAM 6.100 12 35.595
13 633000000 256QAM 6.200 13 35.780
14 639000000 256QAM 6.100 14 35.595
15 645000000 256QAM 6.300 15 35.780
16 651000000 256QAM 6.000 16 35.780
17 657000000 256QAM 6.300 17 35.780
18 663000000 256QAM 6.300 18 35.780
19 669000000 256QAM 6.900 19 35.595
20 675000000 256QAM 6.800 20 35.780
21 681000000 256QAM 7.200 21 36.387
22 687000000 256QAM 7.200 22 36.387
23 693000000 256QAM 7.100 23 35.780
24 699000000 256QAM 7.000 24 36.387
25 705000000 256QAM 7.100 25 36.610
26 711000000 256QAM 6.800 26 35.780
27 717000000 256QAM 7.000 27 35.780
28 723000000 256QAM 6.500 28 35.780
29 825000000 256QAM 6.700 29 35.595
30 831000000 256QAM 7.100 30 35.780
31 837000000 256QAM 7.600 31 35.780
32 843000000 256QAM 7.500 32 36.387
OFDM Downstream Overview
Receiver FFT type Subcarr 0 Frequency(MHz) PLC locked NCP locked MDC1 locked PLC power(dBmv)
0 NA NA NO NO NO NA
1 4K 248600000 YES YES YES 1.299999
Upstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID Bandwidth
1 36996000 ATDMA - 64QAM 41.500 3 6400000
OFDM/OFDMA Overview
Channel Index State lin Digital Att Digital Att BW (sc's*fft) Report Power Report Power1_6 FFT Size
0 DISABLED 0.5000 0.0000 0.0000 -inf -1.0000 4K
1 DISABLED 0.5000 0.0000 0.0000 -inf -1.0000 4K

*Added Labels*

88 REPLIES 88

Re: Rogers Ignite Gigabit Very... very Slow Speeds

Ok, for the ethernet connection, can you look at the back of the modem, specifically the connected port LED.  Flashing amber indicates a 1 Gb/s connection with the connected device.  Flashing green indicates a 10/100 Mb/s connection with the device.   There are numerous causes for a 100 Mb/s connection, including the device port itself, which may be limited to 100 Mb/s.  

For the wifi issue, can you have a look at the following post, specifically the wifi settings and applications to check out your wifi environment to see whom you're competing with for clear channels. 

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/429489#M54216

If you haven't done to already, you should check out the specs for the wifi adapter in your pc or laptop, just to see what the max data rate happens to be. 

nbalusani
I plan to stick around

It is flashing green  when connected via Ethernet cable

Ok, that means that the maximum data rate that you will see via ethernet is 100 Mb/s.  On a speed test, that probably will result in somewhere around 94 to 96 Mb/s.  It might be a little higher but not much.  

So, at this point you need to know if the device has a gigabit ethernet port, or if it only runs at 100 Mb/s.  If you go to the Control Panel ..... Device Manager, drill down to the Network Adapters and expand that item to show all of the sub-components listed under the Network Adapters.  There should be an entry title "xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx Ethernet Controller".  Copy that entire sub-component ID line and paste that into a google search.  You should be able to find that controller and determine its specified maximum data rate, 100 Mb/s or 1 Gb/s.

If you already know that the network adapter is a gigabit adapter and you've already seen it run higher data rates at another location or with a different modem at your home, there's a few possibilities:

1. The network adapter settings are limiting the maximum data rate.  In this case you have to drill down to the adapter advanced settings and determine what the max data rate is set for.  Some manufacturers only show an "Auto" setting, followed by lower settings, so its never clear what the max data rate happens to be, but, it will usually increase as follows:  10 Mb/s, 100 Mb/s, 1000 Mb/s, with Auto meaning either 100 Mb/s or 1000 Mb/s depending on the age of the motherboard.  You should ensure that the setting is either at 1000 Mb/s, or Auto.  If it only shows 10 Mb/s, 100 Mb/s, Auto, then its worth doing a google search to determine the maximum data rate of the network adatper.

2.  The ethernet cable isn't providing the proper contact between the cable pings and the port pins, at one or at both ends.  Try another cable that you know will run at 1 Gb/s.

3.  The ethernet cable is damaged in some fashion and only has two wire pairs running internally instead of all four.  Once again, try another cable that you know will run at 1 Gb/s.

4.  You're using a "FAST" ethernet cable, which is an old cable which many people still have around their home.  That cable only supports 100 Mb/s.  At one point in time, it probably was a fast cable, but, by todays standards, it isn't.  Switch to another cable that you know will run at 1 Gb/s.

When you connect a device with a gigabit port to the modem, that modem port LED should flash amber, indicating a 1 Gb/s connection rate.  You don't have to do anything, the two ports will negotiate the data rate that enables them to run at the highest data rate,whatever that turns out to be.  Connected at 1 Gb/s that data rate makes use of all 4 wire pairs within the ethernet cable.  Only 2 pairs out of the 4 pairs within the ethernet cable are required to support 100 Mb/s and below.  

Ok, hope this helps.  It will come down to one of those possibilities, the max designed data rate for the adapter, the current max data rate setting in the advanced settings, or the cable and its connectors. 

Are you connecting a pc or laptop directly to the modem with a commercially produced cable, or are you using house ethernet wiring to connect to the modem, or using some other path such as a powerline or MoCA adapter?

Note that the same situation can exist with the Wifi adapter, in terms of its designed max data rate and its current max data rate setting in the advanced settings.

We have run into situations in the past where customers have upgraded their internet plan, moving to higher data rates, only to discover that their devices only support 100 Mb/s.  That takes a little homework to determine the data rate capabilities of all of your devices. 

nbalusani
I plan to stick around

I connected to my work Laptop which I use at my work and it gets 1.5 gb speed. I tested and my laptop is capable and this device is new one

nbalusani
I plan to stick around
I am directly connecting to Rogers Router using Cat 6e cable

nbalusani
I plan to stick around

Previously I used Bell Gigabit internet on same device and I used to get 900 mbps speed and no issues. Now during the week days I am getting upto 150 mbps(some times) and some times below 100 mbps . During the weekend from friday evening it slows down too much until sunday and getting only 60 to 70 mbps.

I am planning to switch back to Bell again as this is not worth

nbalusani
I plan to stick around

I checked my network controller and it set to 1 Gbps full Duplex as well.

Hmm, it should work but it doesn't.  Only things that I can think of is:

1.  Have a carefull look at the ethernet cable that your using.  Check the pins at both ends and look for any damage to the cable itself.  If you were getting 900 Mb/s, via ethernet with Bell's HH3000, then you should be able to do the same with the CODA-4582 modem.  Just to check, that's the only white modem that Rogers uses.  Is that the modem that you have?  Given the signal levels that you posted, that is the modem that you should have, unless I missed a modem swap between yesterday and now.  

2.   Call tech support and ask the tech to ensure that the modem is provisioned for the internet plan that you have (gigabit service ??).  Indicate that you're never able to achieve anywhere near the plan's data rate. 

3.  Ask the tech to run a signal check on the modem and ask specifically if the modem's OFDM downstream channel is within specs.  The user interface does not show all of the signal data unfortunately, but, tech support has access to those numbers. 

4.  For a windows pc or laptop, delete any existing LAN profiles.  Windows will rebuilt the profile as required.  

If you were running Bell's fibre optic service before, why switch to cable with any provider?  Just curious.....

nbalusani
I plan to stick around

I got the promotional offer from Rogers which Bell did not matched. That was my mistake which I switched. Now I am trying to switch back

Mufeedf
I've been around

Sorry for the long post, just trying to be as detailed as possible for you to be able to analyze the problem. Same issue as everyone else on the 1Gb speed. Not getting advertised package speed. Below are the details for the issue and the tests performed:

Note: I do not have the downstream and upstream stats as I will be switching the modem today.

• Hardware used for the tests: 3 different laptops, a desktop, 2 cell phones. All devices are between 4-1 years old (so they support 5G signal).
  • Test performed: ran the speed tests many times (6-10 times) on each individual device separately. 3 speed sites per device for comparison (on speedtest.net, Fast.com, google speed test). All tests were performed
    • Laptop 1 - with Ethernet cable (Cat5e and Cat6 were used): speeds between 160-210Mbps. Network card is gigabet capable.
    • Laptop 1 - on wifi: same above result.I got 300 once only.
    • Laptop 2 - on Ethernet and wifi: same above results.
    • Dekstop: same result.
    • 2 cellphones: same result.
    • Laptop 3 (the newest) no Ethernet port, wifi only: speeds between 350 -500Mbps.

• For the 2nd test, I connected 2 devices at the same time, and ran the speed tests simultaneously. Result was 200/2 = 100Mbps per device. Or 160 on one, and 5 on the other…etc. basically the added up to 200-210 collectively.

That’s right, 500Mb on wifi, but 200 on Ethernet. It made no sense to anyone (including tech support). Even if the laptop had AC wireless (not sure if it does), this is not testing the transmission rate between the laptop and the router, but the download and upload speeds from the internet, in which case Ethernet should be king (not wifi).

Called tech support twice. The first one acknowledged that something is not right with the connection (from his end) and scheduled a tech. Tech shows up, plugs his "$500" testing tool, and says "look its showing 900" and leaves. He ofcourse tells my wife the generic stuff about number of devices connected, location of wifi, interference…etc, even though none of these were factors in my tests. All tests performed with a max of 2 devices connected at the same time, nothing streaming or anything, same room as modem, wired and wireless.

2nd call with tech support, he acknowledged that something is not right as well (after all the standard troubleshooting, factory reset…etc), especially if I am getting higher speed on wifi than wired. Also something is not right if only 1 wireless device is capable of hitting 450-500, when a wired device couldnt. so he advised to change the modem/router.

Getting my modem replaced today, but I have a feeling this will change nothing. What I would like to note is since this move is mandated by our condo board starting this month, what will happen when all 150 units are on the same plan, potentially same line??

Note: please don’t say that it is advertised for "up to 1Gbps" speed. Because this would imply that the consumer is an idiot (excuse my language) and that he is being taken for a ride. If we use that language, then might as well give consumers 1Mbps speed and say "well we advertise that it is UP to 1Gbps, so it can be anything from 1-1000". I do not even expect to get 800Mbps, but barely reach only 200 on a wired connection, with only 1 device connected to router (let alone wireless), is not reasonable.

nbalusani
I plan to stick around

I agree with you. I am having the same issue as you and I live in condo with over 200 apartments. Might be sharing the single line  and causing this issues. Tech guy come and tested told this as well. But Technical department does not agree  with this and they advertise speeds.

os3rules
I plan to stick around

Hi - I have the Gigabit Internet and I am getting slow(ish) speeds, nothing has been over 400 Meg for months now.  I am not ready to blame the modem (yet) because I suspect that there may be more to this. 

Firstly, I have 3 computers on my network - my desktop, a media server, and my laptop. 

The desktop is my working system and I have used it to measure my internet speed for over a year now.  My speed has reduced to the point where my average speed for Aug 2019 was 277.34 Meg (all measurements taken with Speedtest - multiple times with the best one recorded).

Recently, I started measuring the internet speed on my laptop and on the server.  Since these are "smaller" systems I have been using EDGE with fast.com to do the measurement. 

The laptop was showing speeds of 500-600 Meg and the server got as high as 1.7 Gig !!  This seems ridiculous.

The issue is that the laptop and server seem to have faster speeds than my desktop when they are all connected to the same switch and thus to the same router.

So - on the desktop I; switched ports, changed the cable, updated the drivers, etc. and it made no difference at all.

I'm stumped. I realize that the measurements with fast.com may not be reliable, but I have a year of measurement using speedtest, and my internet speed keeps getting slower.  My only thought now is that the network card in the desktop needs to be changed in order to get faster speeds.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey @os3rules!

I've been in quite a similar boat myself! Seeing the PC I was gaming with for so long have speeds begin to depreciate over time, despite no changes when other devices in the home were working just fine. It can be difficult to troubleshoot but I'm hoping the steps I took to resolve it can help you.

After several months of monitoring I noticed the speeds were dropping not long after OS upgrades. In the end, the issue was related to generic network drivers installed after the Creator's Update for Windows 10. I visited the manufacturer's website for my motherboard and did a clean install of their drivers, factory reset my modem and voila, problem solved. Went from getting 350 Mbps max to over 860 Mbps.

Hoping this helps, though I will admit it's not the only fix available for single device experiencing low throughput, just my experience. Perhaps there are others in the Community who've experienced the same issue have managed to isolate a different source for the problem.

@RogersAndy

HutchFam
I plan to stick around

I Just had the new ignite internet and tv service installed in my house and i didnt realize that my internet would be worse. Was on 500 mbps and i got that on wifi and about 200-300 wired depending on traffic. Now im getting 200 mbps on wifi and less that 20-30mbps wired. Have done some research and inthink the MoCA will work hut i noticed that the modem from rogers isnt MoCA enabled. So i would need to buy the Adapter but does rogers provide this service along with the ignite so that i can have a wired home network aswell?

Hey @HutchFam!

Seeing much lower than anticipated speeds through a wired connection like that would come as a shock to me as well :O! MoCA is not enabled on our XB6/t modem's and we don't provide an adapter for this functionality. However we can definitely take a look at what's going on to see why your speeds are as low as they are. To begin can you confirm the following for us?

• Are you using your own router within the home? Or is this connected direct to the XB6 modem?
  • Are you experiencing this on one wired device or multiple?
  • Is the device you're running the speedtest with a Gigabit capable device? Can you provide the model of the device?
  • Are you running your speed test on speedtest.net, dslreports, fast.com or Rogers speedcheck?

Thanks so much!

@RogersAndy

@HutchFam can you provide a few more details please.  If you previously had a black Hitron modem and now have one of the XB6 modems, then you went from a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.  The original DOCSIS 3.0 modem would have used bonded 6 Mhz channels with frequencies above 500 Mhz on the downstream side.  The DOCSIS 3.1 modems are currently using an Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex (OFDM) channel which ranges between 275 Mhz and 500 Mhz.  Thats on the download side.  

In all cases, the modems use a DOCSIS 3.0 upstream bonded channel configuration ranging in the 15 to 50 Mhz range.  

So, if thats the situation that you're in, changing from the black Hitron modem to either the Arris or Technicolor XB6 (as indicated on the bottom of the modem), then you've literally changed the transmit/receive technology type in use and changed frequency bands as well.  The DOCSIS 3.1 modem should in theory provide better service, but, with any newer technology there have been issues with its introduction by Rogers.  If this is the situation that you find yourself in, then the OFDM channel isn't providing the performance that is required to support the modem, or, the OFDM processing in the modem isn't doing its job.  In either case, you need to chat with tech support.  Ask the tech to run a signal check on the modem and ask specifically if the OFDM channel data is within specification.  Advise the tech that your seeing low "wired" data rates from the modem, where the previous modem was running as expected.  I suspect that the tech might not appreciate or really understand the significance of the change in technology or frequency band.   Personal opinion, you need a tech visit to inspect the external cable and its connectors, paying specific attention to the performance of the lower 500 Mhz band of the cable system.  

Now, if you went from the white Hitron CODA-4582 modem, which was already using OFDM on the downstream side, to an Arris or Technicolor XB6, and your seeing a drop in performance, that points to an OFDM processing issue within the Arris or Technicolor XB6, in which case, I'd be looking for a tech visit as indicated above, and a potential modem swap to the other modem model.  Note that the Technicolor modem should be the better choice between the two modem models.  There have been changes in the Hitron 4582 firmware to improve the processing of the OFDM channel, so its highly likely that the same changes have not been made to the Arris or Technicolor XB6.  Hitron and Rogers have put in a great deal of effort since the release of the 4582 modem to stabilize the 4582's OFDM operation, so, I'd expect Hitron to be ahead of the game, compared to Arris or Technicolor.  If thats the case, then your cable system, from the local tap to your home might need some tlc to improve the lower 500 Mhz performance in order for either the Arris or Technicolor modems to operate properly. 

In terms of MoCA networks, you would have to do that yourself, but, its not difficult.  MoCA 2.0 adapters such as Adaptec's model are probably the best way to go at the present time.

https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200/

There is a newer more capable version out from what I understand, but I believe that's only being release to ISPs.  I don't remember the model number off of the top of my head.  

Fwiw, there are a couple of threads that can be used for reference purposes.  I'd recommend reading the following thread, to the end of the thread from the following post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Wifi-extender-for-hitron-coda-4582/m-p/425310#M53154

Then, read thru the following thread, which is fairly recent:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/CODA-4582-MoCA-2-0-setup/m-p/447965#M57290

Can you have a look at the bottom of the modem that you have and let me know which model it is, the Arris or Technicolor version?

HutchFam
I plan to stick around
Are you using your own router within the home? NO YOUR NOT ABLE TO WITH THE XB6 SO WE ARENT. is this connected direct to the XB6 modem? YES
Are you experiencing this on one wired device or multiple? ALL OF THEM PLUS WIFINSPEEDS SHOULD BE AROUND A GIGABIT BUT THE MAX WE GET IS 250MB
Is the device you're running the speedtest with a Gigabit capable device? Can you provide the model of the device? THE TECHNICIAN USED HIS ROGERS LAPTOP AND I ALSO HAVE A LENOVO LAPTOP WITH A ETHERNET ADAPTER
Are you running your speed test on speedtest.net, dslreports, fast.com or Rogers speedcheck? YES I HAVE USED ALL OF THEM AND THEY ALL SHOW UNDERPERFORMANCE

HutchFam
I plan to stick around
We switched from the Hitron Coda 4582 White Router from rogers to there new XB6 Modem for ignite. I dont think i shouldnhave switched i shouldnhave jus asked for anhitron CGN series 3 model instead i heard there the best rogers has yet everytine we asked for one they told us the coda was the newest which is not true

HutchFam
I plan to stick around
It is the Arris XB6. Not the technicolor. I dont understand why were having sonmany issues then. The technician installed a return patch attenuator im not sure exactly what thats for butbhe said it was to lowere the frequency ornsomethin for the modem.... maybe thats causing something?

Also for the MoCA. Adapter they wont work with Arris or technicolor XB6 right? Should i go back to my coda Model? Or try the Hitron CGN 3 series model modem?

HutchFam
I plan to stick around
If your lucky enough to have bell service at over 1.5 gbps you should never go to rogers. Only a few neighborhoods offer the 1.5 gbps speeds at bell the rest are 50mb tops. So your lucky id switch back to bell asap

@HutchFam  the Actiontec MoCA 2.0 adapters will work with any modem.  The rest of the MoCA system is up to the customer to install, although you could probably ask Rogers to install a MoCA qualified splitter and Point of Entry filter.  I'd have to have a look at the splitter specs to see if its MoCA 2.0 qualified or not. 

I don't have time tonight to look at all of the issues, but I'd like you to do one thing.  With your Lenovo laptop, in close proximity to the modem and connected via wifi, right click on the wifi symbol in the lower right hand task bar.  Select "Open Network and Internet Settings"  On the next popup page, select "View your network properties".  On the next page, please copy the Description of the adapter, which will be the laptops wifi adapter and post that for me.  Also post the Link speed (Receive/Transmit).  Please post both numbers. 

I'd like to do a little research to determine the specs for the wifi adapter and the max theoretical data rate at the moment, given the laptops connection rate with the modem that I'm asking you to post.  

Topic Stats