Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

Any idea when Richmond Hill will get ipv6? I factory reset my CGN3ACSMR today and still no ipv6

I use my CGN3ACSMR in Gateway mode and don't have a third party router.

Network Architect
Network Architect

Our teams are working around the clock on this deployment. I can't provide an exact schedule but stay tuned it should be there shortly.
I've Been Here Awhile

/64 is an Ok start, I'll be looking forward to the day where for me personally I can get atleast /60. As of now I operate with a modest 3 subnets: LAN, WIFI, and DMZ. Using the /64 for LAN as it gets the most use for v6.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

up-n-atom wrote:

/64 is an Ok start, I'll be looking forward to the day where for me personally I can get atleast /60. As of now I operate with a modest 3 subnets: LAN, WIFI, and DMZ. Using the /64 for LAN as it gets the most use for v6.

How have you been finding a separate wifi subnet? I tried doing it years ago... and gave up because it broke essentially all 'consumer' broadcast-based protocols...

I Plan to Stick Around

FYI, just enabled IPv6 on my Edgerouter Lite, and working just fine with Rogers.

Ottawa West (Kanata).

I've Been Here Awhile

VivienM wrote:

up-n-atom wrote:

How have you been finding a separate wifi subnet? I tried doing it years ago... and gave up because it broke essentially all 'consumer' broadcast-based protocols...

Not exactly sure what you're asking... I've setup my network on an isolation model where LAN, WLAN (WIFI via AP), and DMZ each have their own class C subnet:192.168.1.x/24,192.168.2.x/24, 192.168.3.x/24. These are seperate LAN but could be VLAN. They can't cross communicate unless explicitly allowed to, which only my administration hardware can. As for DHCPv6 PD you can't split a /64 delegation but I'm now wondering if I could request another?

I Plan to Stick Around

If you look around this thread  you'll see that I asked this question in a different way and got a reply from DaveM.

I read his reply as being:    When deployment is finished and everything is calm then maybe they will offer /56 prefixes which is the correct way to do what you want under the rules of IPV6. 

I've Been Here Awhile

timlocke wrote:

If you look around this thread  you'll see that I asked this question in a different way and got a reply from DaveM.

I read his reply as being:    When deployment is finished and everything is calm then maybe they will offer /56 prefixes which is the correct way to do what you want under the rules of IPV6. 

Yeah I read that and my 1st post just further up was trying to be a reply to DaveM's post but I forgot to quote and it missed that context. They seem to be following a similar conservative deployment strategy to that of Comcast which is perfectly sensible. Anyway, as a intermediate solution I've since modified my setup to request a 2nd /64 delegation and was provided 1 which I've set towards my WLAN.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's a thought for anyone running IPV6 and looking for a second address.  If your network setup allows it, connect a second device, presumably a second router to the modem if its running in Bridge mode and restart the modem.  When you run IPV4, the modem will supply two IP addresses.  Maybe it will do the same for IPV6 without any problems.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

up-n-atom wrote:

VivienM wrote:

up-n-atom wrote:

Not exactly sure what you're asking... I've setup my network on an isolation model where LAN, WLAN (WIFI via AP), and DMZ each have their own class C subnet:192.168.1.x/24,192.168.2.x/24, 192.168.3.x/24. These are seperate LAN but could be VLAN.

I was just asking about your experience/successes trying to run a network that way... 

I had tried doing it, and I found it broke too many things that were designed around the assumption that everything is in the same broadcast domain. So gave up and switched back to a single subnet for both wired and (bridged) wireless...