Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

liquidneon
I Plan to Stick Around

here's what I tried. please correct if anything is off! I copied as closely as possible based on @RogersDave  TP link settings:

2021-03-20 21_01_56-AC5400 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Gaming Router.png

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

With pfsense, I use SLAAC.

liquidneon
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks i was following that, but i have far more settings and they're not exactly the same. i posted my assumptions below. hopefully someone can confirm or correct
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For the Internet Connection Type, is there a "Native" selection?  

I think what you currently have selected should work. 

With those settings selected, reboot the router and connected pc/laptop.  After the reboot, run an ipconfig command at a command prompt.  That should show that the pc has an IPV6 address as the primary address.  Then, with a web browser, go to https://ipv6-test.com/

liquidneon
I Plan to Stick Around

internet connection type = static IP vs Dynamic IP (SLAAC/DHCPv6) vs PPPoE vs 6to4 Tunnel vs Pass-through (Bridge)

i selected the bolded one to get the rest of the settings. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting, Dynamic would be the best and only choice from what I can see.  Have you checked the router for any firmware updates?  Just wondering if there are any, and if that would make a difference?

liquidneon
I Plan to Stick Around

yup i checked - it's up to date!

trying to follow the instructions in this link...  Using-the-Ignite-TV-Modem-Gateway-in-Bridge-Mode but can't say my knowledge of networking isn't much more than moderate.

i have horrendous latency (Rogers investigating for a while now) but also have about 20 devices on my network, so I algo got a proper router (with more than 2 ports) that offers QoS to at least manage what's on my network.

xeronine
I Plan to Stick Around

Does anyone know how to get a /56 from Rogers?  My pfSense it set to request a /56, but everything on the firewall seems to indicate it's only a /64.

The only reason I think maybe I'm getting a /56 is because when I run ipconfig it shows this:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:fea8:5b00:e1a:b5ac:4450:1ef6:72dd(Preferred)
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:fea8:5b25:2c15:b5ac:4450:1ef6:72dd(Preferred)

I'm not sure why else I'd have an IP from two different subnets.

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

I have no problem getting a /56 from Rogers.  Did you request one on the WAN page with DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation size?  Where are you seeing those 2 addresses?  It seems strange that the last 64 bits are the same for both, but the prefix is different.  Also, the prefixes are too far apart to be explained by prefix ID.  With a /56, the prefix ID is the rightmost 8 bits of the prefix.  Are you trying to manually provide a prefix, in addition to that provided by SLAAC?

I've been running pfsense for about 5 years and it's always worked well.  Currently on 2.5.0.

BTW, an easy way to see what's being provided is to look at the available prefixes, when you select prefix ID on a LAN interface.  With 2.5.0, it's listed below the box where you enter the value.  IIRC, on previous versions, you could select from available prefixes from a drop down list.