Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

@VivienM wrote:

This mechanism to use DHCP6 to allocate a subnet to a residential network seems to work very well...

What concerns me is the stability of the IPv6 addresses.  Currently, the IPv4 address Rogers provides changes so seldom that it might as well be static and the host name, based on MAC addresses, will change only if you change the modem or firewall.  With this, I have a DNS alias that converts my own domain name to the long Rogers host name.  On IPv6, I currently have my own /56 prefix and the DNS contains the addresses within that prefix.  If the IPv6 prefix gets tied to the modem & firewall MAC addresses, then that's great.  If not, then it might be a problem for DNS.

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Well, the issue of the DPC-3825 not supporting IPV6 is rather interesting.  That's basically forced obsolescence I would think.  Why should the customer have to pick up the bill for that one?  If Rogers intention is to go IPV6 and force all of the obsolete modems out of use, perhaps they should be picking up the bill for that.  I would send a pm to @CommunityHelps looking for clarification on the issue.  I suspect this decision is up a couple of pay grade levels.

Well, I called Rogers this morning and wound up talking to retentions.  My plans stay pretty much the same, I get a new modem and my bill drops by about $50/month.  I'll be walking my dog over to the Rogers store shortly, to swap modems.

Vikentieff
I Plan to Stick Around

So is there a delay on .20's rollout? I see some people here got it 17hrs ago...

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It usually takes a few days to roll out an update across the entire network.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersDave is there a chance that the IPV6 DNS issue is common to the CGN3 and CGN3ACR, which would require an update to those modems as well?  And, if so, what are the chances that the latency issue, which is also common to those modems can be taken care of at the same time?

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

@Datalink I do not see an option to override the DNSv6 in the CGN3 either. I don’t have a CGN3ACR to test at the moment but I assume it is the same. This will be raised as an enhancement request accordingly.

Regarding the latency concerns, I have no information as it is outside my area of focus. I can try to find out but it will take some time.

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

@JKnott wrote:
Well, I called Rogers this morning and wound up talking to retentions.  My plans stay pretty much the same, I get a new modem and my bill drops by about $50/month.  I'll be walking my dog over to the Rogers store shortly, to swap modems.

I now have the Rocket modem installed and getting IPv6 addresses.  However, one issue I've noticed is I can't port forward SSH (port 22).  I assume Rogers is using this for remote management.  If so, that's unusual, as in large networks, management is normally done via a separate VLAN.  I was able to port forward IMAPS without problem.

BTW, is it just me or is this site sometimes a real pain to post to?  I often find when I try to post I get to a screen with an activity indicator, but go no further.

gcerullo
I Plan to Stick Around

@JKnott wrote:
BTW, is it just me or is this site sometimes a real pain to post to?  I often find when I try to post I get to a screen with an activity indicator, but go no further.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It seems to go into a redirect loop and never recovers.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@JKnott wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

I now have the Rocket modem installed and getting IPv6 addresses.  However, one issue I've noticed is I can't port forward SSH (port 22).  I assume Rogers is using this for remote management.  If so, that's unusual, as in large networks, management is normally done via a separate VLAN.  I was able to port forward IMAPS without problem.

Are you using the CGN3ACSMR in gateway mode? If so... that port 22 issue (which is news to me) might be another argument for bridging it. 

And yes, logging in to the forums can be a challenge due to redirect loops. My usual approach is to log in to My Rogers in one tab, and THEN use the forums in another tab. That seems to avoid the need for most of the problematic redirection...

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

VivienM wrote: Are you using the CGN3ACSMR in gateway mode? If so... that port 22 issue (which is news to me) might be another argument for bridging it. 

Yes, at the moment I'm in gateway mode.  I was previously running Linux as my firewall/router, but I have to update it to work with dhcpv6-pd, before going back to bridging mode.