cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

@JKnott thats not too bad for 60/10.  Your IPV4 and IPV6 rates are essentially the same, so, if you're using a router, its not getting in the way of the IPV6 data.  

My distance to the xfinity server says the same, way off for some reason.  

Can you go back and delete the top line of your trace route as it contains your modem's IPV6 address, or substitute with a bunch of xxxxx.xxxxx.xxxxx. 

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

I run pfSense on a computer for my firewall/router.  I generally get better than 60/10, typically mid 70s down and almost 11 up.

I have modified the traceroute address.  Incidentally, it's not my modem that's listed.  It's the one at a deli where I was experiencing IPv6 problems.

JKnott

Another thing, Rogers has a speedtest.net server.  However, it's IPv4 only.  It would be nice if it also tested IPv6.

coolspot
I plan to stick around

I tried the recommended pfSense IPV6 settings, but it doesn't seem my WAN interface is acquiring a IPV6 address?

I'm on gigabit service, and the modem is running firmware 4.5.8.22.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

coolspot
I plan to stick around
... solved the problem, pfSense needed a reboot to pick up IPv6 settings.

Also in the Advanced Settings --> Network Tab, "Allow IPv6" also needs to be turned on.

coolspot
I plan to stick around

Also I had to reenable the DHCPv6 Server on pfSense - likely disabled since I was upgrading from an older configuration file.

In anycase, now that I have IPV6 setup on my primary LAN, I also have a WiFi subnet - does Rogers support /56 or /60 subnets for IPV6 yet... or is this still pending a full rollout?

JKnott

I believe the plan is for /56, but only a /64 at present.

goodboyr
I plan to stick around

I tried DHCPv6 but the status remained "connecting". Score is 4/20 with no IPv6 connectivity. When I switch to Tunnel 6 to 4 I can establish connectivity. My score on the test page is 14/20. 

@JKnott wrote:

That is correct. We have performed the required testing in lab to enable prefix delegation for any size between /56 and /64 (as requested by the CPE device). Hitron gateways are requesting /64 today and will continue for the time being but 3rd party routers and other customer devices will be allowed to request a larger prefix.

I don't have a schedule to enable this yet but it should happen this fall.

Dave

@coolspot wrote:

Also in the Advanced Settings --> Network Tab, "Allow IPv6" also needs to be turned on.

Thanks @coolspot, I edited the instructions to include these comments.

JKnott

@goodboyr wrote:

I tried DHCPv6 but the status remained "connecting". Score is 4/20 with no IPv6 connectivity. When I switch to Tunnel 6 to 4 I can establish connectivity. My score on the test page is 14/20. 

You've definitely got something wrong.  I always get  19/20.  Which side are you referring to for DHCPv6?  It should be on the WAN side only.  You don't need it on the LAN, as SLAAC provided the device address.

JKnott

@RogersDave wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

That is correct. We have performed the required testing in lab to enable prefix delegation for any size between /56 and /64 (as requested by the CPE device). Hitron gateways are requesting /64 today and will continue for the time being but 3rd party routers and other customer devices will be allowed to request a larger prefix.

I don't have a schedule to enable this yet but it should happen this fall.

Dave

A friend of mine has been asking about something else.  He's on Teksavvy over Rogers cable.  He was wondering when IPv6 will be available to people like him.  Teksavvy has offered IPv6 via ADSL for a few years.  Do you have any info on this?

coolspot
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

@coolspot wrote:

Couple more bits:

1. pfSense by default blocks all IPv6 traffic whether or not you have a IPv6 IP. You need to create a LAN rule that has the following settings (copy the IPv4 version):

Action:  Pass

Interface: LAN

Address Family: IPV6

Protocol: Any

Source: LAN Net

Destination: Any

Port: Any

2. Update the "make system pingable" rule in the WAN tab and set it to IPV4+IPV6.

With these settings you should be able to score 19/20 on the IPv6 tests. The only missing feature is a reverse hostname lookup.

I hope this helps others.

coolspot
I plan to stick around
Forgot one last bit:

Under Services DHCPv6 Server & RA, under the Router Advertisement Tab, ensure that "Unmanaged" is selected.

If using managed and assisted then the DHCPv6 Server needs to be enabled and configured. The only real field to change is the "Range" in which case I used ::1 to ::1000

JKnott

@coolspot wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

@coolspot wrote:

Couple more bits:

1. pfSense by default blocks all IPv6 traffic whether or not you have a IPv6 IP. You need to create a LAN rule that has the following settings (copy the IPv4 version):

Action:  Pass

Interface: LAN

Address Family: IPV6

Protocol: Any

Source: LAN Net

Destination: Any

Port: Any

2. Update the "make system pingable" rule in the WAN tab and set it to IPV4+IPV6.

With these settings you should be able to score 19/20 on the IPv6 tests. The only missing feature is a reverse hostname lookup.

I hope this helps others.

I just checked my system and don't see any of those.

JKnott

@coolspot wrote:
Forgot one last bit:

Under Services DHCPv6 Server & RA, under the Router Advertisement Tab, ensure that "Unmanaged" is selected.

If using managed and assisted then the DHCPv6 Server needs to be enabled and configured. The only real field to change is the "Range" in which case I used ::1 to ::1000

I believe that should be "Assisted", so that DHCPv6 provides things that RAs and SLAAC don't, such as DNS, NTP and other server addresses.

goodboyr
I plan to stick around

@JKnott wrote:

@goodboyr wrote:

You've definitely got something wrong.  I always get  19/20.  Which side are you referring to for DHCPv6?  It should be on the WAN side only.  You don't need it on the LAN, as SLAAC provided the device address.

Yup. I am referring to the WAN side. With DHCPv6 and SLAAC enabled, it wont connect. However it does connect with Tunnel 6to4. 

And I am losing points due to the lack of browser fallback.

ipv6 1.JPG

ipv6 2.JPG

JKnott

How do you get SLAAC on the WAN side???  It should be DHCPv6.  SLAAC is on the LAN side, where you use RAs to provide the prefix, combind with MAC or random number to provide the host address.  You also use DHCPv6 on the LAN side to provide only server addresses.  Don't use it to provide host addresses.

@goodboyr, can you:

1.  Have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the product sticker to determine what model it is:  CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR, CGN3ACSMR, or CGNM-3552; and

2.  Log into the modem and determine what firmware version is loaded.  That is indicated by the Software Version (Firmware) which is located on the STATUS page.  That page is displayed automatically when you log into the modem.  

3.  Have a look at the WAN IP Address located in the upper right hand corner of the data on the STATUS page.  That should show two IP addresses, one IPV4 followed by a much longer IPV6 address.  

Please let us know the results of both.  Its possible that you might need to run a Factory Reset, or that there is an issue with the CMTS to which the modem is connected.  

goodboyr
I plan to stick around

1. CGNACSMR
2. 4.5.8.27
3. WAN IP Address is "none,none"

Note that my Hitron is in Bridge mode and I am using a TP-Link as my router.

JKnott

@goodboyr wrote:

1. CGNACSMR
2. 4.5.8.27
3. WAN IP Address is "none,none"

Note that my Hitron is in Bridge mode and I am using a TP-Link as my router.

Mine's a CGNA3CSMR and works fine with IPv6.