Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

Well at the time I had a 100u internet package from Rogers and I asked them what modems they support. Then I bought one and went to a store to register it, they config it from distance and that was it.
I did some research and this particular modem doesn't have a bridge function as it has no internal router function. I made the changes tonight on my Asus router and rebooted both the modem and router as u said and it seem to work. So far so good. I got ipv6 and ipv4 functional. Test the speeds and ipv6 is slightly faster.
Thank you for your help !
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Well I had a100u internet package at the moment and asked for what routers they supported and they told me. I bought one and went to a store to register it. Once I got it home they activated from distance and that was it. It's been pretty reliable piece of equipment. I now have a 300u package, 500u will require their router, haven't seen very much positive feedback of that router/modem they use so I'll hold on to a 300u package with my modem and get 350 down and 20 up.

I looked into the modem tonight and found out it has no router capabilities so it acts like it's in bridge mode all the time. I made the changes to the router and rebooted the modem and then rebooted the router and it worked. I tried a speed test and it looks like ipv6 is a bit faster then ipv4.
Appreciate your help on this matter, too bad rogers doesn't post these settings somewhere on there site so people could config their routers right. I guess most use the internal routers in the Roger supplied modems maybe.
Thanks again!
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

If you are using pfSense and have multiple LANs, you'll want to ask for a larger prefix.

I set the DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation Size to 60 and check the "Send IPv6 prefix hint" checkbox. Then for each LAN where I want IPv6, on the relevant interface I set the IPv6 Configuration Type to "Track Interface", in the "Track IPv6 Interface" section I set the IPv6 Interface to the interface connected to the Rogers modem, and choose a different IPv6 Prefix ID for each LAN.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers can provide a /56, which means you get up to 256 /64s.  A /60 will only get 16.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been reading through this thread and wow lots of knowledgeable people here.  So maybe someone here will have the experience I'm in search of.  I recently have upgraded to Gigabit internet speeds but I'm unable to configure my existing router to get the speeds provided.  So I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience or knowledge configuring a TP-Link R600VPN router with Gigabit internet? I get full speeds using Rogers router but can't get more than 400-450 mbps downstream on my R600VPN with modem in bridge mode.  I found the post earlier in this thread showing the configurations to use for IPv6 but still no luck with speed improvements.  Is this a case of my router is simply not capable of Gigabit speeds?  I get 1000 mbps connectivity between my router and PC and the router even reports that the connection between the WAN port and the modem is 1000 mbps.  Crossing my fingers I've come to the right people.

Thanks for any insight!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@clarenceb5 there appears to be 4 versions of that particular router.  The latest version, V4 is listed on the datasheet as running 680 Mb/s for NAT throughput.  That is IPV4 Network Address Translation throughput.  So, if you're getting 400 to 450 Mb/s throughput, that implies that you have an earlier version, or, that the router, even if it is a version 4 router, is maxed out.  

Here's the support page for the router.  

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/download/tl-r600vpn/

You have to select the correct version to download the datasheet that matches your router.  On the bottom or back of the router, should be a product sticker which indicates the version of the router. 

It appears that you need to buy a faster router to run gigabit rates.  Practically speaking you can expect 940ish Mb/s on the downstream side, considering the ethernet overhead.  

If you're looking specifically for faster VPN rates, you need a router that supports Intel's Advanced Encryption Standard New Instructions (AES-NI).  At the most these days with OpenVPN, you could see somewhere in the order of 250 Mb/s with an Asus router running Merlin's Asuswrt.  OpenVPN is a single threaded application, so it will max out one core of a multi-core processor.  Processor speed and AES-NI hardware support is the key to running faster VPNs.  Alternatively you could run Wireguard on a pc which is a multi-threaded application, and which should produce faster VPN data rates. 

Just as a test, you should kick the modem into Gateway mode, connect your pc to the modem and run a speedtest using the www.speedtest.net Rogers Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa server, which ever is closer to your home.  With the www.speedtest page up, change the test server and type in   Rogers   to display the Rogers servers.  You could also use the Rogers speedtest which is located at:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest

The question at this point is, are you actually seeing ~940 Mb/s on the download side and 30 Mb/s on the upload side?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink Thank you for providing such details I very much appreciate the information.

The latest version V4 is the version I have but as you have already provided details it does not support the throughput required.  The Rogers Ignite modem/router performs much faster.

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@clarenceb5 wrote:

II get full speeds using Rogers router but can't get more than 400-450 mbps downstream on my R600VPN with modem in bridge mode.

What kind of modem do you have?  Do you have "Ignite Internet" with a Technicolor XB6 modem/gateway?  If so, there is currently a known issue where the modem's throughput will drop after a reboot when Bridge Mode is enabled.  However, if the XB6 is in Gateway mode and you then enable Bridge Mode, and do not reboot or power-cycle the modem, you should continue to see full speeds.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Has IPv6 access been fixed for Static IPv4 customers on business plans?

inet 72.137.xxx.xxx netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast 72.137.xxx.yyy
   inet6 fe80::20d:b9ff:fe4a:346c%em0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

I'm guessing not, given that my router is only seeing an IPv4 bridge and :fe80: for IPv6.

Last I checked only "dynamic" IPv6 was available and only if I give up my static IPv4 as well, and "dynamic" IPv6 is such a silly idea that I have trouble explaining to networking people what's going on.

Highlighted

Hello, @Simon_Clift

Thanks so much for posting your concern in the Community!

I completely understand your desire to use IPv6 for your Business services. To have the latest information on Business service it would be best to contact our Business teams directly.

You can reach them by clicking here: https://www.rogers.com/business/contact-us.

Feel free to share your findings with the Community.

RogersTony