cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

clarenceb5
I've been here awhile

@Datalink Thank you for providing such details I very much appreciate the information.

The latest version V4 is the version I have but as you have already provided details it does not support the throughput required.  The Rogers Ignite modem/router performs much faster.

Thanks again!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@clarenceb5 wrote:

II get full speeds using Rogers router but can't get more than 400-450 mbps downstream on my R600VPN with modem in bridge mode.

What kind of modem do you have?  Do you have "Ignite Internet" with a Technicolor XB6 modem/gateway?  If so, there is currently a known issue where the modem's throughput will drop after a reboot when Bridge Mode is enabled.  However, if the XB6 is in Gateway mode and you then enable Bridge Mode, and do not reboot or power-cycle the modem, you should continue to see full speeds.

Simon_Clift
I'm here a lot

Has IPv6 access been fixed for Static IPv4 customers on business plans?

inet 72.137.xxx.xxx netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast 72.137.xxx.yyy
   inet6 fe80::20d:b9ff:fe4a:346c%em0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

I'm guessing not, given that my router is only seeing an IPv4 bridge and :fe80: for IPv6.

Last I checked only "dynamic" IPv6 was available and only if I give up my static IPv4 as well, and "dynamic" IPv6 is such a silly idea that I have trouble explaining to networking people what's going on.

Hello, @Simon_Clift

Thanks so much for posting your concern in the Community!

I completely understand your desire to use IPv6 for your Business services. To have the latest information on Business service it would be best to contact our Business teams directly.

You can reach them by clicking here: https://www.rogers.com/business/contact-us.

Feel free to share your findings with the Community.

RogersTony

@RogersTony: Tried that a few times, the business support people were of no use.

It took a substantial effort to get through to someone who understands networking, never mind this particular problem, and then I got the impression they were as frustrated as I am with the Rogers lack of intention to provide a modern service.

This is getting particularly frustrating as COVID-19 forces me to work with multiple clients from home, stuffing all of my VPN and external connections through ports on my static IPv4.   TCP/IP ports were not intended as a sub-netting mechanism, and the backflips I need to do in the firewall and router configuration are a meltdown waiting to happen.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

As for IPv4 DHCP, I find my IP address changes so seldom, it's virtually static.  However, the host name, based on modem and firewall MAC addresses, does not change unless you change hardware.  So, if you have your own DNS server, you can create an alias that points to the MAC based host name.  On IPv6, my prefix also doesn't change, but my firewall (pfSense) has a setting that prevents releasing the prefix.

As for poor support, I am also well aware of that.  In early 2019 I had an IPv6 problem and found I had to teach both tier 2 support and a senior tech the finer details about how IPv6 worked on Rogers.  Further, even though I was able to demonstrate to tier 2 that the problem was within Rogers, the network support people refused to work on the problem because I had my own firewall/router, even though my next door neighbour had the same problem with only the Hitron modem and a single computer.  With Wireshark, I was able to identify the failing system, by name, at the Rogers head end on Wolfedale in Mississauga.  A senior tech brought his won modem and experienced the same problem.  He then took his modem & computer to the head end and tried with 4 different CMTS and found it only failed with the one I was connected to and had identified.  It was only after this that the network guys got off their butts and did something.  Also, over the 3 months it took to get this resolved, I was communicating with the Office of the President and even when they got involved, the network guys still refused to do anything.  So, the tier 2 and senior tech guys did their job, but the network guys failed miserably.

GarfieldTheCat
I plan to stick around

Hi, I am having trouble finding a working configuration for Edgerouter. The following are what I found in Ubiquiti Community Forums. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? eth0 is connecting to WAN and eth2.2 is the VLAN.

interfaces {

ethernet eth0 {

address dhcp

description IPv6-Internet

dhcpv6-pd {

no-dns

pd 0 {

interface eth2.2 {

host-address ::1

no-dns

service slaac

}

prefix-length 64

}

rapid-commit enable

}

duplex auto

ipv6 {

dup-addr-detect-transmits 1

router-advert {

cur-hop-limit 64

link-mtu 0

managed-flag true

max-interval 600

other-config-flag false

prefix ::/64 {

autonomous-flag true

on-link-flag true

valid-lifetime 2592000

}

reachable-time 0

retrans-timer 0

send-advert true

}

}

speed auto

}

}

JKnott

I'm not familiar with that equipment, but I see you have 2 prefix length lines.  I assume 1 is for the WAN and the other for the LAN.  You can change the WAN line to 56, which will give you up to 256 /64s for your LAN.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JKnott wrote:

You can change the WAN line to 56, which will give you up to 256 /64s for your LAN.

Sure, but unless you have multiple LAN segments or multiple VLANs on your internal network, why waste the address space?  Or, just request a /60 prefix delegation if that is all that you need.  Even with the default /64 PD, you still get more address space for your home network than the entire IPv4 Internet combined.

JKnott

Waste?  A measly /56?  There are enough IPv6 addresses to give every single person on earth over 4000 /48s!  And that's with just over 1/8th of the IPv6 addresses space assigned to anything.  I currently use 4 of my /64s.  I have the main LAN, guest WiFi, test LAN and VPN.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JKnott  What can I say.  I go all the way back to the days when you could still get a Class A IP network address if you were a big-enough organization, Class B addresses were readily available, and we were still downloading HOSTS.TXT from SRI-NIC because DNS and BIND did not yet exist.  🙂

32 bits was more than enough address space back then, and very few at the time believed that this would (or even could) ever be exhausted.  I try not to waste address space as a matter of principle.

JKnott

I also recall those days, when I had a static IP over SLIP.  Back in the late 90's, when I was at IBM, they had the entire 9.0.0.0 /8 block and I had 5 static addresses, one for my own computer and 4 for testing in my work.  With the vast address space in IPv6, we no longer worry about saving addresses.  For example, on this computer I normally have 17 IPv6 addresses, 1 link local, 8 global (1 MAC based & 7 privacy) and 8 unique local.

zenyyo
I've been here awhile

Rogers IPv6 Settings for pFSense firewall

In WAN Interface menu:

• Use IPv4 connectivity as parent interface: yes
  • Request only a IPv6 prefix: no
  • DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation Size: 64
  • Send IPv6 prefix hint: yes

In LAN Interface menu:

• IPv6 Configuration Type: track interface
  • IPv6 Interface: WAN
  • IPv6 Prefix ID: 0

In Advanced Settings / Network menu:

• Allow IPv6: enabled

Is this still relevant by the way in 2020 (almost 2021) ?

Reason I'm asking is that PF sense was able to detect and assign me a ipv6 address with a simple

In Advanced Settings / Network menu:

• Allow IPv6: enabled

Would changing the other settings help or do anything?

liquidneon
I plan to stick around

Was looking at how to set up my TP Link Archer C5400X. Can I get some help on settings please?

IPv6 = enabled

Internet connection type = ???? (options are static IP vs dynamic IP (SLAAC/DHCPv6) vs PPPoE vs 6to4 tunnel vs Pass-through (Bridge)

then there's several settings after I choose that... help please?

liquidneon
I plan to stick around

here's what I tried. please correct if anything is off! I copied as closely as possible based on @RogersDave  TP link settings:

2021-03-20 21_01_56-AC5400 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Gaming Router.png

JKnott

With pfsense, I use SLAAC.

liquidneon
I plan to stick around
thanks i was following that, but i have far more settings and they're not exactly the same. i posted my assumptions below. hopefully someone can confirm or correct

For the Internet Connection Type, is there a "Native" selection?  

I think what you currently have selected should work. 

With those settings selected, reboot the router and connected pc/laptop.  After the reboot, run an ipconfig command at a command prompt.  That should show that the pc has an IPV6 address as the primary address.  Then, with a web browser, go to https://ipv6-test.com/

liquidneon
I plan to stick around

internet connection type = static IP vs Dynamic IP (SLAAC/DHCPv6) vs PPPoE vs 6to4 Tunnel vs Pass-through (Bridge)

i selected the bolded one to get the rest of the settings. 

Interesting, Dynamic would be the best and only choice from what I can see.  Have you checked the router for any firmware updates?  Just wondering if there are any, and if that would make a difference?