Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

I have the Coda as bridge and I use an Asus Router RT-AC68 with merlin firmware

The IPV6 works ust fine.

The setup I have is as Native- DHCP-PD Enabled- Release prefix on exit Enabled - 

Auto Configuration Setting Enabled- Connect to DNS Server automatically Enabled and

Enable Router Advertisement Enabled

At least these settings exist on Asus Firmware.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for this. I have Rogers Ignite in Whitby, ON with Arris XB6 modem and an Asus router. The router is in ipv4 DMZ to facilitate game consoles. Asus router is Ipv6 enabled in native mode as recommended
The modem has ipv6 address etc and reports the Asus router has an ipv6 address. Laptop etc have ipv6 addresses. ipv6-test.com says ipv6 is not supported.
My questions are
Is ipv6 working in Whitby (Durham Region)?
Could my problem be the DMZ?
What settings do i need on the router to DMZv6 it? XB6 supports DMZ v6

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

One way to see if you have IPv6 is to check the computer address.  My IPv6 address start with 2607:.  All global addresses currently available start with 2 or 3.  There are also link local addresses that start with fe80, but all systems capable of IPv6 would have one of those, regardless of whether an ISP is providing IPv6.  As for your DMZ etc., that would depend entirely on your router and how you configured it.  When trying to resolve a problem, it's best to start simple and go from there, so try without DMZ first.  Given that the router has an IPv6 address, then Rogers is providing it.  A simple test to see if IPv6 is working is to open a browser and go to ipv6.google.com.  If that works, you have IPv6.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw, with IPV6 running, if you go to www.speedtest.net and use the Rogers servers to run a speedtest, that test runs using IPV6 addressing.  Your IP address that is shown in the test results is an IPV4 address.  So, there's room here for some confusion.  If you watch the test with Wireshark, you can see the server's IPV6 address and the pc's temporary IPV6 address in use.  You can also go to ipv6.speedtest.net to run speedtests.  Same thing applies, server uses its IPV6 address and pc uses its temporary IPV6 address.  

I've Been Here Awhile

The modem's client list says the router's ipv6 address starts with 2607. It further states the same router also has a local link address starting with fe80. The laptop reports a wifi address starting with fe80.

Should my laptop and other clients have a 2607 address?

Bear with me - ipv6 noob

I note the Ignite TV boxes have ipv6 addresses starting with 2607 too. They connect directly to the modem

I Plan to Stick Around

Based on what you say, Rogers is providing IPv6, but the router is not passing it.  Rogers uses something called DHCPv6-PD, which not only provides an IPv6 address for the router, but also the prefix for your LAN.  So, either your router doesn't support DHCPv6-PD or it's misconfigured.  The fe80 link local addresses are essential for IPv6 to work properly, but will not work beyond the local LAN.  For example, with IPv6, your gateway address will likely be a link local address, even though it may have a public address.  On this computer, my default gateway address on IPv6 is fe::1:1, even though it also has an address that begins with 2607.

When your router is working properly with DHCPv6-PD, it will announce the LAN prefixes to all devices on the LAN.  The devices will then take that prefix and create a host address, using either the MAC address or a random number.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Fwiw, with IPV6 running, if you go to www.speedtest.net and use the Rogers servers to run a speedtest, that test runs using IPV6 addressing.

The Mississauga server is no longer in operation.  That was the one closest to me.

I'm Here A Lot

Just reporting back.. ipv6 looks to be working fine with my Google Wifi now. Now sure when it started working, but I checked it today and it's good. Possibly thanks to a firmware update (not sure since they're automated on Google Wifi)

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. Problem solved. Here's how.

Reminder: Arris XB6 for Ignite service, Asus GT-AC5300 router (stock)

Was originally using my traditional internal ip addresses - changed Rogers modem local ip to 192.168.0,x and subnetted my router to 192.168.1.x. Rogers ships the XB6 with 10.0.0.1 default addresses. Direct connection to it gets ipv6 connectivity. Converted Asus to 10.0.1.x with native ipv6 - nothing.

In the spirit of try anything, i changed the Asus to ipv6 passthrough - it worked. ipv6-test.com score went to 17 first try. 

DMZd router and it still works - stable for @3 days now. Ipv6 firewall enabled on both devices