cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@burrotwrote:

HI Everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows if rogers supports static ipv6 assignments?

im trying to get setup with IPV6, however my current firewall that im trying to use doesnt support DHCPV6-PD (palo alto for the curious ones panos 8.1)

they support SLAAC but looks like thats it so far.

Any help appreciated!

They would for business customers, but the set up is considerably different.  They have a device called a media converter (I've forgotten what make Rogers uses), which converts fibre to copper. pair.  They'd send out a tech to install and test it.  It would also support VLANs etc.  I have set up similar equipment for Allstream.

However, I doubt you'd get it with the modems that Rogers provides for home and small office use.  The whole idea of DHCPv6 and DHCP before it is to minimize the set up required.  With these modems, it's essentially connect and go.

Have you contacted Palo Alto support about this?  I use pfSense for my firewall/router.

burrot
I've been here awhile

I did contact palo alto support, however they indicated at this time they dont have support for the prefix delegation feature.

They asked me to request it as a feature enhancement, which i will be submitting.

all ive found so far is this on their site.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/How-to-Enable-IPv6-M-and-O-Flags-on-the-...

But it doesnt seem to work in getting a ipv6 address.

seems to be different setup then what the pfsense articles that ive read about on this forum.

brhcad
I've been around

Thank you I can get IPv6 on WAN and LAN now.  How to enable this for multiple VLAN?   When trying to "track interface" on VLAN, I am only allowed "0 to 0" for the prefix ID.   Since LAN is assigned prefix value of 0, there are no more left to assign to VLAN. 

"(hexadecimal from 0 to 0) The value in this field is the (Delegated) IPv6 prefix ID"

How do I properly set the IPv6 prefix ID to allow multiple values?   

Thanks. 

JKnott

@brhcadwrote:

Thank you I can get IPv6 on WAN and LAN now.  How to enable this for multiple VLAN?   When trying to "track interface" on VLAN, I am only allowed "0 to 0" for the prefix ID.   Since LAN is assigned prefix value of 0, there are no more left to assign to VLAN. 

"(hexadecimal from 0 to 0) The value in this field is the (Delegated) IPv6 prefix ID"

How do I properly set the IPv6 prefix ID to allow multiple values?   

You only select 1 ID for each interface.  So, create the interface, either real or VLAN and then select the prefix ID you want to use for it.  However, have you selected a prefix larger than /64 from Rogers?  On pfSense, there's an option for prefix size, up to a /56.

SheamusPatt
I plan to stick around

Why does my ipv6 address change so frequently?

Hi. I'm glad to see Rogers is ahead of the competition, and has actively rolled out ipv6 to its home internet users. I thought my Hitron modem was too old, but it just took a firmware upgrade; I upgraded for an unrelated reason and lo and behold, I'm now running ipv6!

I found something surprising, though - it seems every day or two, my ipv6 address changes. I've never needed to shell out for a "static" address, but even so my ipv4 address would rarely change; it seemed to happen only if we were away for an extended period.

Since the ipv6 address space is practically limitless, why is my address changing so often (every day or two)? It's rather inconvenient since I use one service that implements an address check for security; if I connect from a (ipv4 or ipv6) address than it has not seen me connect from previously, it will block my logon until I can confirm via e-mail that I an connecting through that address. Rather than seeing this only every few weeks, I'm getting this every few days.

@SheamusPatt you're seeing temporary IPV6 addresses which are generated by the computers operating system, presumably Windows in this case.  The temporary address generation can be turned off if the user desires.  However, the use of temporary IPV6 addresses are for your online security and privacy. 

JKnott

Further on this, as mentioned above, IPv6 has something called "privacy addresses", which are default with most (all?) operating systems.  The point of this is to prevent your computer from being tracked, should you move to coffee shops etc.  There is also a permanent address, MAC based in Linux and usually random number, in Windows.  These addresses shouldn't change and are what you'd point the DNS records to for servers etc..  The privacy addresses typically change daily and are valid for a week.  However, only the latest is used for new outgoing connections.  If the privacy address are causing problems, as you describe, then you can turn off that function and use only the permanent address.

SheamusPatt
I plan to stick around

I was assuming that changing ipv6 addresses was a bug, but it turns out it's a feature! It does make sense fro a privacy prospective, I agree. It's not so annoying that I would turn it off.  There's a lot more I need to learn about ipv6.

Thanks for this.

TechnicallyReal
I plan to stick around

I'm in a similar boat. I have the CODA-4582 in bridge mode connected to the newer Google Wifi mesh system and it does not detect IPv6 from Rogers. I have power cycled the modem while the Google WiFi was up and running and with IPv6 enabled.

I have only ever had this combination of hardware since becoming a Rogers customer 2-3 months ago.

I might try some more modem reboots and see if it eventually starts working..

EDIT: Just realized that what I thought was a single page thread was actually only page 50 of something larger. Oops.

@TechnicallyReal, kick the modem back into Gateway mode, log into the modem and check for both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses in the WAN IP Address field at the upper right hand side of the info block on the STATUS tab.  If the IPV6 address is not present, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and ensure that the Router Mode is set to Dual mode. If its only in IPV4 mode, change it to Dual (Stack) mode, save the changes and reboot the modem in either case, ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Device Reset.  After the reboot, check for the presence of the IPV6 address in the STATUS TAB. 

If the address is not there, that would indicate that the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) is not assigning IPV6 addresses as it should.  You would have to contact tech support and ask for a Level II tech.  Most likely he or she can't do anything about it at the moment, but he or she can pass a report along to the network engineering staff to attend to the issue. 

If the IPV6 address is present, then its probably pretty safe to assume that the address is also present when the modem is running in Bridge mode.  You could flip the modem into Bridge mode and connect a pc for just long enough to pick up both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses and then physically disconnect the pc right away.  Check the pc for its IPV6 addresses by using an ipconfig/all command at a command prompt.  If the pc is picking up both addresses, then the modem is supplying both addresses to connected devices.  The question at that point is whether or not IPV6 is enabled in the Google router. 

Edit:  Have a look at the following post from last year regarding an update to the Google wifi router, which includes IPV6 capability.  Is your router firmware at the latest release version?

https://9to5google.com/2017/06/22/google-wifi-onhub-update-adds-ipv6-support-network-check-feature-m...

TechnicallyReal
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the suggestion. I just hooked up a PC directly to the modem and IPv6 seems to work. I get addresses and everything looks good on http://ipv6-test.com

Since that is working I think it's safe to say that the modem is doing it's part properly.

Only question after that is whether or not IPV6 is enabled in the router.  I think that a good number of routers these days have separate IPV6 enable/disable functions, so, if you want IPV6, you would have to enable it and reboot the router so that it will pick up the IPV6 prefix from the CMTS. 

TechnicallyReal
I plan to stick around

It's enabled but not working yet. Might not be supported as implemented by Rogers, I suppose.

Screenshot: (Removed image for privacy reasons - RogersMoin)

@TechnicallyReal, Rogers uses Native IPV6.  Don't know what mode you tried, so have a look at the following thread for IPV6 settings.  There isn't a post for the Google wifi, but, you should be able to use the indicated settings for your Google IPV6 wifi settings. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238#M36710

Here's the link for Google wifi.  There isn't any selection for Native IPV6, so the question is, whats the default protocol, Native, Static IPV6, Passthrough, etc, etc?  

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6361450?hl=en

TechnicallyReal
I plan to stick around
My Google Photos link got removed so here's an imgur upload of the screenshot. But it sounds like you've already figured out that there're no options other than on or off.

Google WiFi IPv6 Settings https://imgur.com/gallery/gQnFUvC

I would assume it's Native IPv6 but since it's not working, I guess not..

Maybe its time for a question in the Google forums?  See if they can clear up the IPV6 settings issue.

prince7272
I plan to stick around

I have the Coda as bridge and I use an Asus Router RT-AC68 with merlin firmware

The IPV6 works ust fine.

The setup I have is as Native- DHCP-PD Enabled- Release prefix on exit Enabled - 

Auto Configuration Setting Enabled- Connect to DNS Server automatically Enabled and

Enable Router Advertisement Enabled

At least these settings exist on Asus Firmware.

Junker2
I've been here awhile

Thanks for this. I have Rogers Ignite in Whitby, ON with Arris XB6 modem and an Asus router. The router is in ipv4 DMZ to facilitate game consoles. Asus router is Ipv6 enabled in native mode as recommended
The modem has ipv6 address etc and reports the Asus router has an ipv6 address. Laptop etc have ipv6 addresses. ipv6-test.com says ipv6 is not supported.
My questions are
Is ipv6 working in Whitby (Durham Region)?
Could my problem be the DMZ?
What settings do i need on the router to DMZv6 it? XB6 supports DMZ v6

JKnott

One way to see if you have IPv6 is to check the computer address.  My IPv6 address start with 2607:.  All global addresses currently available start with 2 or 3.  There are also link local addresses that start with fe80, but all systems capable of IPv6 would have one of those, regardless of whether an ISP is providing IPv6.  As for your DMZ etc., that would depend entirely on your router and how you configured it.  When trying to resolve a problem, it's best to start simple and go from there, so try without DMZ first.  Given that the router has an IPv6 address, then Rogers is providing it.  A simple test to see if IPv6 is working is to open a browser and go to ipv6.google.com.  If that works, you have IPv6.

Fwiw, with IPV6 running, if you go to www.speedtest.net and use the Rogers servers to run a speedtest, that test runs using IPV6 addressing.  Your IP address that is shown in the test results is an IPV4 address.  So, there's room here for some confusion.  If you watch the test with Wireshark, you can see the server's IPV6 address and the pc's temporary IPV6 address in use.  You can also go to ipv6.speedtest.net to run speedtests.  Same thing applies, server uses its IPV6 address and pc uses its temporary IPV6 address.  

Junker2
I've been here awhile

The modem's client list says the router's ipv6 address starts with 2607. It further states the same router also has a local link address starting with fe80. The laptop reports a wifi address starting with fe80.

Should my laptop and other clients have a 2607 address?

Bear with me - ipv6 noob

I note the Ignite TV boxes have ipv6 addresses starting with 2607 too. They connect directly to the modem