Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

Further on this, as mentioned above, IPv6 has something called "privacy addresses", which are default with most (all?) operating systems.  The point of this is to prevent your computer from being tracked, should you move to coffee shops etc.  There is also a permanent address, MAC based in Linux and usually random number, in Windows.  These addresses shouldn't change and are what you'd point the DNS records to for servers etc..  The privacy addresses typically change daily and are valid for a week.  However, only the latest is used for new outgoing connections.  If the privacy address are causing problems, as you describe, then you can turn off that function and use only the permanent address.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I was assuming that changing ipv6 addresses was a bug, but it turns out it's a feature! It does make sense fro a privacy prospective, I agree. It's not so annoying that I would turn it off.  There's a lot more I need to learn about ipv6.

Thanks for this.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm in a similar boat. I have the CODA-4582 in bridge mode connected to the newer Google Wifi mesh system and it does not detect IPv6 from Rogers. I have power cycled the modem while the Google WiFi was up and running and with IPv6 enabled.

I have only ever had this combination of hardware since becoming a Rogers customer 2-3 months ago.

I might try some more modem reboots and see if it eventually starts working..

EDIT: Just realized that what I thought was a single page thread was actually only page 50 of something larger. Oops.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TechnicallyReal, kick the modem back into Gateway mode, log into the modem and check for both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses in the WAN IP Address field at the upper right hand side of the info block on the STATUS tab.  If the IPV6 address is not present, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and ensure that the Router Mode is set to Dual mode. If its only in IPV4 mode, change it to Dual (Stack) mode, save the changes and reboot the modem in either case, ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Device Reset.  After the reboot, check for the presence of the IPV6 address in the STATUS TAB. 

If the address is not there, that would indicate that the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) is not assigning IPV6 addresses as it should.  You would have to contact tech support and ask for a Level II tech.  Most likely he or she can't do anything about it at the moment, but he or she can pass a report along to the network engineering staff to attend to the issue. 

If the IPV6 address is present, then its probably pretty safe to assume that the address is also present when the modem is running in Bridge mode.  You could flip the modem into Bridge mode and connect a pc for just long enough to pick up both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses and then physically disconnect the pc right away.  Check the pc for its IPV6 addresses by using an ipconfig/all command at a command prompt.  If the pc is picking up both addresses, then the modem is supplying both addresses to connected devices.  The question at that point is whether or not IPV6 is enabled in the Google router. 

Edit:  Have a look at the following post from last year regarding an update to the Google wifi router, which includes IPV6 capability.  Is your router firmware at the latest release version?

https://9to5google.com/2017/06/22/google-wifi-onhub-update-adds-ipv6-support-network-check-feature-m...

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the suggestion. I just hooked up a PC directly to the modem and IPv6 seems to work. I get addresses and everything looks good on http://ipv6-test.com

Since that is working I think it's safe to say that the modem is doing it's part properly.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only question after that is whether or not IPV6 is enabled in the router.  I think that a good number of routers these days have separate IPV6 enable/disable functions, so, if you want IPV6, you would have to enable it and reboot the router so that it will pick up the IPV6 prefix from the CMTS. 

I Plan to Stick Around

It's enabled but not working yet. Might not be supported as implemented by Rogers, I suppose.

Screenshot: (Removed image for privacy reasons - RogersMoin)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TechnicallyReal, Rogers uses Native IPV6.  Don't know what mode you tried, so have a look at the following thread for IPV6 settings.  There isn't a post for the Google wifi, but, you should be able to use the indicated settings for your Google IPV6 wifi settings. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238#M36710

Here's the link for Google wifi.  There isn't any selection for Native IPV6, so the question is, whats the default protocol, Native, Static IPV6, Passthrough, etc, etc?  

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6361450?hl=en

I Plan to Stick Around

My Google Photos link got removed so here's an imgur upload of the screenshot. But it sounds like you've already figured out that there're no options other than on or off.

Google WiFi IPv6 Settings https://imgur.com/gallery/gQnFUvC

I would assume it's Native IPv6 but since it's not working, I guess not..
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe its time for a question in the Google forums?  See if they can clear up the IPV6 settings issue.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.