Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

THank you @Datalink.

Here is how it worked out.

Before this I was getting a /56 from Rogers.    After the Sunday with no IPV6 I only get a /64.    

I did a factory reset on the 868L  and still just will not recognize the V6 stuff from Rogers.

I did go back a couple of firmware releases on the 868L, no change.

I reset the Modem into gateway mode and that was getting a V6 address sadly did not have time to try it properly.

The 655 still had the same problem as before. 

Anyway.  I converted the 868L  to DD-WRT ( a fiddly process, bricked it twice before I got it going).  DD-WRT recognizes  Rogers V6 with a /64 PD.   So I am up and running again.  I have no need of subnets here but if the /56 re-appears I would hope that DD-WRT will recognize that automatically, I'll check every so often.

I suspect that you are right, a change at the  CMTS ( what does CMTS stand for?)  but I wonder why the 868L which had run V6 perfectly would not even attempt to recognize it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@timlocke, CMTS is the Cable Modem Termination System, which controls and provides data services for all of the cable modems (internet, tv, and Home Phone) in your immediate neighborhood.  

As I indicated before, and looking back at your posts from 2017, if the router was working as expected until recently, and with absolutely no change in the router firmware, the only conclusion one can draw is that there's been an unannounced IPV6 configuration change at the CMTS.  Just a question of whether its intentional or unintentional? D-Link routers were a problem for the 4582 when the 4582 was first introduced, so, a change was made in the 4582 to accommodate the D-Link routers.  I wonder if further changes have been made at the CMTS now that cause problems for the initial modem change? 

I Plan to Stick Around

Certainly when I had an early 4582 for a couple of days I could not get it to work properly, took it back and got the CGN3acmr  which worked ever since.     I followed the thread on the 4582 for a while and the last time I looked I got the impression that most stuff had been fixed.  

I am  planning to stay as I am until this whole new IPTV system appears this year , so they say, and see what changes I will have to make then.

From what you say above I guess that not many people 'near' me use a Dlink router AND make use of IPV6.   Not surprised.  I use an extension to Chrome that shows v6 or v4  but if I did not use that I probably would not have noticed.

I've Been Here Awhile

HI Everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows if rogers supports static ipv6 assignments?

im trying to get setup with IPV6, however my current firewall that im trying to use doesnt support DHCPV6-PD (palo alto for the curious ones panos 8.1)

they support SLAAC but looks like thats it so far.

Any help appreciated!

I Plan to Stick Around

@burrotwrote:

HI Everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows if rogers supports static ipv6 assignments?

im trying to get setup with IPV6, however my current firewall that im trying to use doesnt support DHCPV6-PD (palo alto for the curious ones panos 8.1)

they support SLAAC but looks like thats it so far.

Any help appreciated!

They would for business customers, but the set up is considerably different.  They have a device called a media converter (I've forgotten what make Rogers uses), which converts fibre to copper. pair.  They'd send out a tech to install and test it.  It would also support VLANs etc.  I have set up similar equipment for Allstream.

However, I doubt you'd get it with the modems that Rogers provides for home and small office use.  The whole idea of DHCPv6 and DHCP before it is to minimize the set up required.  With these modems, it's essentially connect and go.

Have you contacted Palo Alto support about this?  I use pfSense for my firewall/router.

I've Been Here Awhile

I did contact palo alto support, however they indicated at this time they dont have support for the prefix delegation feature.

They asked me to request it as a feature enhancement, which i will be submitting.

all ive found so far is this on their site.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/How-to-Enable-IPv6-M-and-O-Flags-on-the-...

But it doesnt seem to work in getting a ipv6 address.

seems to be different setup then what the pfsense articles that ive read about on this forum.

I've Been Around

Thank you I can get IPv6 on WAN and LAN now.  How to enable this for multiple VLAN?   When trying to "track interface" on VLAN, I am only allowed "0 to 0" for the prefix ID.   Since LAN is assigned prefix value of 0, there are no more left to assign to VLAN. 

"(hexadecimal from 0 to 0) The value in this field is the (Delegated) IPv6 prefix ID"

How do I properly set the IPv6 prefix ID to allow multiple values?   

Thanks. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@brhcadwrote:

Thank you I can get IPv6 on WAN and LAN now.  How to enable this for multiple VLAN?   When trying to "track interface" on VLAN, I am only allowed "0 to 0" for the prefix ID.   Since LAN is assigned prefix value of 0, there are no more left to assign to VLAN. 

"(hexadecimal from 0 to 0) The value in this field is the (Delegated) IPv6 prefix ID"

How do I properly set the IPv6 prefix ID to allow multiple values?   

You only select 1 ID for each interface.  So, create the interface, either real or VLAN and then select the prefix ID you want to use for it.  However, have you selected a prefix larger than /64 from Rogers?  On pfSense, there's an option for prefix size, up to a /56.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Why does my ipv6 address change so frequently?

Hi. I'm glad to see Rogers is ahead of the competition, and has actively rolled out ipv6 to its home internet users. I thought my Hitron modem was too old, but it just took a firmware upgrade; I upgraded for an unrelated reason and lo and behold, I'm now running ipv6!

I found something surprising, though - it seems every day or two, my ipv6 address changes. I've never needed to shell out for a "static" address, but even so my ipv4 address would rarely change; it seemed to happen only if we were away for an extended period.

Since the ipv6 address space is practically limitless, why is my address changing so often (every day or two)? It's rather inconvenient since I use one service that implements an address check for security; if I connect from a (ipv4 or ipv6) address than it has not seen me connect from previously, it will block my logon until I can confirm via e-mail that I an connecting through that address. Rather than seeing this only every few weeks, I'm getting this every few days.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SheamusPatt you're seeing temporary IPV6 addresses which are generated by the computers operating system, presumably Windows in this case.  The temporary address generation can be turned off if the user desires.  However, the use of temporary IPV6 addresses are for your online security and privacy. 

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.