cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

lobotiger
I've been here awhile
Yup I'm using the modem in bridge mode and have my pfsense as the firewall/router.

lobotiger
I've been here awhile
@JKnott wrote:

@lobotiger wrote:

Hi everyone.  Just connected my Rogers Ignite 150u service and put the modem in bridge mode and followed the suggestions on here for getting ipv6 working on my pfsense.  Just one question about the prefix delegation.  Should I be getting a /56 assigned to me as it appears that I'm only seeing a /64 assignment on my LAN interface.  On the WAN interface I put 56 as the prefix size but when I check the status of the interface for my LAN it shows the assigned prefix to be a /64.

You only see a /64 on a network.  That /56 can be used for up to 256 /64s.

Maybe I'm not seeing in the right section but how do I see what /56 I've been assigned?

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@lobotiger wrote:
@JKnott wrote:

@lobotiger wrote:

Hi everyone.  Just connected my Rogers Ignite 150u service and put the modem in bridge mode and followed the suggestions on here for getting ipv6 working on my pfsense.  Just one question about the prefix delegation.  Should I be getting a /56 assigned to me as it appears that I'm only seeing a /64 assignment on my LAN interface.  On the WAN interface I put 56 as the prefix size but when I check the status of the interface for my LAN it shows the assigned prefix to be a /64.

You only see a /64 on a network.  That /56 can be used for up to 256 /64s.

Maybe I'm not seeing in the right section but how do I see what /56 I've been assigned?

On the WAN page, you can choose the prefix size in "DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation size".  Your choices range from /64 to /48.  The largest used to be /56.  I wonder if they increased the prefix to /48?  If so, then you'd get 65,536 /64s.  After you have your prefix set, you can go into the LAN settings and choose which /64 you want to use.  Perhaps, as an experiment, you can choose /48 and see how high your LAN prefixes go.  With a /56, I get only 0 - ff.  With a /48, it should go up to ffff.

lobotiger
I've been here awhile

Oh I think I get what you mean for the LAN interface.  In the Track IPv6 Interface there's the Prefix ID field and it tells me I have options from 0 - FF.  Since it's Hex, I would imagine I can just go through the different values to use the different /64s that have been assigned from the /56?

JKnott

@lobotiger wrote:

Oh I think I get what you mean for the LAN interface.  In the Track IPv6 Interface there's the Prefix ID field and it tells me I have options from 0 - FF.  Since it's Hex, I would imagine I can just go through the different values to use the different /64s that have been assigned from the /56?

That is correct.  However, while you're in there, try a /48 and see if your choices go up to ffff.

JKnott

@JKnott wrote:

@lobotiger wrote:

That is correct.  However, while you're in there, try a /48 and see if your choices go up to ffff.

I checked and it's still just /56, so forget about the /48.  How will we ever get by with only 4.72236648287e+21 addresses???  Smiley Wink

timlocke
I plan to stick around

I don't know!   I am using the first 10 addresses of the first /64 in the \/56 Rogers allocates.   I guess that means my IPV6  carbon  footprint is very small and I don't need to buy a hybrid car?  

vult
I've been here awhile

I am new to Rogers. One of the reasons I moved was IPV6. I have my modem (a CODA-4582) in bridge mode and a Google Wifi/Onhub Mesh behind it. I am only getting a /64 (and not a /56), no matter how many times I reset either modem or router, wait for the DHCP lease (Roger's side) to expire. Calling tech support was of no help.

Google Wifi is not pfSense and there is no means for setting a prefix length hint. Is using pfSense the only way to get a /56 prefix? Is there something that has to be enabled at Rogers' for me to get a /56?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

JKnott

You need to have someway to specify and use other prefixes.  For example, in pfSense, once /56 is enabled, it's necessary to actually configure a network or VLAN to use the other /64s.

vult
I've been here awhile

That is true. I do need a way to delegate the /64s within the /56 and I doubt Google Wifi can do it. I do know that pfSense can do it. 

Are there *any* consumer/"prosumer" sub $200 router that anyone is aware of which can do the following:

1. Send a prefix hint to Rogers' DHCPv6 server requesting for a /56 prefix. AND

2. Act as a DHCPv6 server in turn to sub delegate /60s or /64s to other routers requesting prefix delegation on the LAN side.

Routers like ERL (Edgerouter Lite) can have /64s delegated to its LAN interfaces but cannot sub delegate prefixes to downstream routers (at least that is what I am aware of). Are there any router appliance that can do this ?  

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Depending on your data rate, perhaps the smallest PfSense router might do - SG-1000 - direct price is $149 US.

https://www.pfsense.org/products/

Beyond that, for gig rates, you would need to move up to the SG-4860 which is considerably more expensive, $749 US.  Just depends on your data rate and how fast you want the router to run.  Gig rates thru a router, with various functions running won't be cheap.  It might be cheaper to buy a complete pc on sale locally and install PfSense and secondary ethernet card or turn an existing pc into a router by doing the same. 

JKnott

@Datalink wrote:

Depending on your data rate, perhaps the smallest PfSense router might do - SG-1000 - direct price is $149 US.

https://www.pfsense.org/products/

Beyond that, for gig rates, you would need to move up to the SG-4860 which is considerably more expensive, $749 US.  Just depends on your data rate and how fast you want the router to run.  Gig rates thru a router, with various functions running won't be cheap.  It might be cheaper to buy a complete pc on sale locally and install PfSense and secondary ethernet card or turn an existing pc into a router by doing the same. 

I installed pfSense on a refurb computer I bought a few years ago.  Works fine.  I set it up with 2 additional NICs, so I have a 2nd interface, with it's own /64, that I can connect to for experimenting.

JKnott

One thing I noticed a while ago is that Rogers modems, in gateway mode, do not provide IPv6 on the guest WiFi network.  Any plans to change this?  If it's possible to give customers a /56 prefix, when using the modem in bridge mode, why not just a /63 in gateway?  That would provide a /64 for both WiFi networks.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

i have been a happy user of Roger IPV6  since it went live in my area and before that with Rogers RD  tunnel system

Set up is a CGN3acmr in bridge mode feeding a Dlink 868L  into Windows 10 machines.

ON Sunday last I noticed no IPV6.      The router showed that all the V6 numbers had not changed but no connection.

Put the modem into regular mode with a PC attached directly and there was IPV6 working.   Back to bridge mode and my router. The router could not recognize the IPV6 parameters passed from the modem.  It tried a few times and just said it did not recognize a valid IPV6 connection.

Plugged in an older D-link 655 which immediately recognized the IPV6 from the modem and worked.

Thought all was fine.   The older router can sustain IPV6 as long as a machine is using it then it 'forgets ' and I have to do a release/renew. This is ok as the older router is 10 years old and may have some fault somewhere.

So my question:  Has Rogers changed something in the IPV6 connection which is SLAAC/DHCPV6?   My router is uptodate on its firmware. Could it be that Rogers handed out a static IPV6 WAN address and the router had been working just because that address hadn't changed.

I have no problem buying a new router ( if I do I'll get one that can run Tomato or DDWRT )     but my problem and my question is...has Rogers changed something?

timlocke
I plan to stick around

I did call Rogers  was immediately passed to Techspert  who tried his best but was out of his depth on anything to do with IPV6

JKnott

Does that D-Link 868L support DHCPv6-PD?  I've not had any issues with pfSense.  Have you tried D-Link support?

@timlocke try this.  Connect the router to the modem, make sure that the router is powered up and then restart the modem, pull the modem power, wait for about 15 seconds and plug it back in to force a restart, which should result in the router picking up the IPV6 addresses.  I've noticed that the modem, or CMTS doesn't necessarily respond when a device is plugged into a bridged 4582, and that it might take a couple of modem restarts before the router IP addresses are assigned.  With the modem in Bridge mode, in theory it acts as an invisible bridge to the CMTS, so, is this a failure of the modem, or the CMTS, in terms of responding to the IP request?  Don't know at the present time...

Edit:  If the router was working up to some point in time, running IPV6, and there haven't been any router updates recently, then I would suspect some change has occurred at the CMTS.  Any change at the CMTS would be above and beyond tech support and the CSRs wouldn't be aware of any changes.  My bet would be that someone has possibly modified the configuration of the CMTS or dropped a file from the configuration files, and, ...... here you are.  Its unfortunate that @RogersDave has departed as he would probably be able to easily resolve this.  Hopefully @RogersBob might have time to look into this.  

Edit 2:  Has there been a recent firmware update for the router?  If so, do you have a copy of the previous version that you can load for IPV6 test purposes?  

timlocke
I plan to stick around

THank you @Datalink.

Here is how it worked out.

Before this I was getting a /56 from Rogers.    After the Sunday with no IPV6 I only get a /64.    

I did a factory reset on the 868L  and still just will not recognize the V6 stuff from Rogers.

I did go back a couple of firmware releases on the 868L, no change.

I reset the Modem into gateway mode and that was getting a V6 address sadly did not have time to try it properly.

The 655 still had the same problem as before. 

Anyway.  I converted the 868L  to DD-WRT ( a fiddly process, bricked it twice before I got it going).  DD-WRT recognizes  Rogers V6 with a /64 PD.   So I am up and running again.  I have no need of subnets here but if the /56 re-appears I would hope that DD-WRT will recognize that automatically, I'll check every so often.

I suspect that you are right, a change at the  CMTS ( what does CMTS stand for?)  but I wonder why the 868L which had run V6 perfectly would not even attempt to recognize it.

@timlocke, CMTS is the Cable Modem Termination System, which controls and provides data services for all of the cable modems (internet, tv, and Home Phone) in your immediate neighborhood.  

As I indicated before, and looking back at your posts from 2017, if the router was working as expected until recently, and with absolutely no change in the router firmware, the only conclusion one can draw is that there's been an unannounced IPV6 configuration change at the CMTS.  Just a question of whether its intentional or unintentional? D-Link routers were a problem for the 4582 when the 4582 was first introduced, so, a change was made in the 4582 to accommodate the D-Link routers.  I wonder if further changes have been made at the CMTS now that cause problems for the initial modem change? 

timlocke
I plan to stick around

Certainly when I had an early 4582 for a couple of days I could not get it to work properly, took it back and got the CGN3acmr  which worked ever since.     I followed the thread on the 4582 for a while and the last time I looked I got the impression that most stuff had been fixed.  

I am  planning to stay as I am until this whole new IPTV system appears this year , so they say, and see what changes I will have to make then.

From what you say above I guess that not many people 'near' me use a Dlink router AND make use of IPV6.   Not surprised.  I use an extension to Chrome that shows v6 or v4  but if I did not use that I probably would not have noticed.

burrot
I've been here awhile

HI Everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows if rogers supports static ipv6 assignments?

im trying to get setup with IPV6, however my current firewall that im trying to use doesnt support DHCPV6-PD (palo alto for the curious ones panos 8.1)

they support SLAAC but looks like thats it so far.

Any help appreciated!