Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

I am new to Rogers. One of the reasons I moved was IPV6. I have my modem (a CODA-4582) in bridge mode and a Google Wifi/Onhub Mesh behind it. I am only getting a /64 (and not a /56), no matter how many times I reset either modem or router, wait for the DHCP lease (Roger's side) to expire. Calling tech support was of no help.

Google Wifi is not pfSense and there is no means for setting a prefix length hint. Is using pfSense the only way to get a /56 prefix? Is there something that has to be enabled at Rogers' for me to get a /56?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I Plan to Stick Around

You need to have someway to specify and use other prefixes.  For example, in pfSense, once /56 is enabled, it's necessary to actually configure a network or VLAN to use the other /64s.

I've Been Here Awhile

That is true. I do need a way to delegate the /64s within the /56 and I doubt Google Wifi can do it. I do know that pfSense can do it. 

Are there *any* consumer/"prosumer" sub $200 router that anyone is aware of which can do the following:

1. Send a prefix hint to Rogers' DHCPv6 server requesting for a /56 prefix. AND

2. Act as a DHCPv6 server in turn to sub delegate /60s or /64s to other routers requesting prefix delegation on the LAN side.

Routers like ERL (Edgerouter Lite) can have /64s delegated to its LAN interfaces but cannot sub delegate prefixes to downstream routers (at least that is what I am aware of). Are there any router appliance that can do this ?  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Depending on your data rate, perhaps the smallest PfSense router might do - SG-1000 - direct price is $149 US.

https://www.pfsense.org/products/

Beyond that, for gig rates, you would need to move up to the SG-4860 which is considerably more expensive, $749 US.  Just depends on your data rate and how fast you want the router to run.  Gig rates thru a router, with various functions running won't be cheap.  It might be cheaper to buy a complete pc on sale locally and install PfSense and secondary ethernet card or turn an existing pc into a router by doing the same. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Depending on your data rate, perhaps the smallest PfSense router might do - SG-1000 - direct price is $149 US.

https://www.pfsense.org/products/

Beyond that, for gig rates, you would need to move up to the SG-4860 which is considerably more expensive, $749 US.  Just depends on your data rate and how fast you want the router to run.  Gig rates thru a router, with various functions running won't be cheap.  It might be cheaper to buy a complete pc on sale locally and install PfSense and secondary ethernet card or turn an existing pc into a router by doing the same. 

I installed pfSense on a refurb computer I bought a few years ago.  Works fine.  I set it up with 2 additional NICs, so I have a 2nd interface, with it's own /64, that I can connect to for experimenting.

I Plan to Stick Around

One thing I noticed a while ago is that Rogers modems, in gateway mode, do not provide IPv6 on the guest WiFi network.  Any plans to change this?  If it's possible to give customers a /56 prefix, when using the modem in bridge mode, why not just a /63 in gateway?  That would provide a /64 for both WiFi networks.

I Plan to Stick Around

i have been a happy user of Roger IPV6  since it went live in my area and before that with Rogers RD  tunnel system

Set up is a CGN3acmr in bridge mode feeding a Dlink 868L  into Windows 10 machines.

ON Sunday last I noticed no IPV6.      The router showed that all the V6 numbers had not changed but no connection.

Put the modem into regular mode with a PC attached directly and there was IPV6 working.   Back to bridge mode and my router. The router could not recognize the IPV6 parameters passed from the modem.  It tried a few times and just said it did not recognize a valid IPV6 connection.

Plugged in an older D-link 655 which immediately recognized the IPV6 from the modem and worked.

Thought all was fine.   The older router can sustain IPV6 as long as a machine is using it then it 'forgets ' and I have to do a release/renew. This is ok as the older router is 10 years old and may have some fault somewhere.

So my question:  Has Rogers changed something in the IPV6 connection which is SLAAC/DHCPV6?   My router is uptodate on its firmware. Could it be that Rogers handed out a static IPV6 WAN address and the router had been working just because that address hadn't changed.

I have no problem buying a new router ( if I do I'll get one that can run Tomato or DDWRT )     but my problem and my question is...has Rogers changed something?

I Plan to Stick Around

I did call Rogers  was immediately passed to Techspert  who tried his best but was out of his depth on anything to do with IPV6

I Plan to Stick Around

Does that D-Link 868L support DHCPv6-PD?  I've not had any issues with pfSense.  Have you tried D-Link support?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@timlocke try this.  Connect the router to the modem, make sure that the router is powered up and then restart the modem, pull the modem power, wait for about 15 seconds and plug it back in to force a restart, which should result in the router picking up the IPV6 addresses.  I've noticed that the modem, or CMTS doesn't necessarily respond when a device is plugged into a bridged 4582, and that it might take a couple of modem restarts before the router IP addresses are assigned.  With the modem in Bridge mode, in theory it acts as an invisible bridge to the CMTS, so, is this a failure of the modem, or the CMTS, in terms of responding to the IP request?  Don't know at the present time...

Edit:  If the router was working up to some point in time, running IPV6, and there haven't been any router updates recently, then I would suspect some change has occurred at the CMTS.  Any change at the CMTS would be above and beyond tech support and the CSRs wouldn't be aware of any changes.  My bet would be that someone has possibly modified the configuration of the CMTS or dropped a file from the configuration files, and, ...... here you are.  Its unfortunate that @RogersDave has departed as he would probably be able to easily resolve this.  Hopefully @RogersBob might have time to look into this.  

Edit 2:  Has there been a recent firmware update for the router?  If so, do you have a copy of the previous version that you can load for IPV6 test purposes?