Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

@lobotiger wrote:

Hi everyone.  Just connected my Rogers Ignite 150u service and put the modem in bridge mode and followed the suggestions on here for getting ipv6 working on my pfsense.  Just one question about the prefix delegation.  Should I be getting a /56 assigned to me as it appears that I'm only seeing a /64 assignment on my LAN interface.  On the WAN interface I put 56 as the prefix size but when I check the status of the interface for my LAN it shows the assigned prefix to be a /64.

You only see a /64 on a network.  That /56 can be used for up to 256 /64s.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JKnott could probably answer this for you.  Here's a thread on the pfsense forum that he started concerning the Rogers IPV6 settings:

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=119944.0

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

@JKnott could probably answer this for you.  Here's a thread on the pfsense forum that he started concerning the Rogers IPV6 settings:

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=119944.0

That's old info.  You can now choose any prefix between /64 and /56.  However, I believe you only get a /64 if you use the Rogers modem in gateway mode.  This means you'll need a separate router to get a prefix other than /64.  Of course, the router has to be able to use DHCPv6-PD to the the IPv6 prefixes.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yup I'm using the modem in bridge mode and have my pfsense as the firewall/router.
I've Been Here Awhile

@JKnott wrote:

@lobotiger wrote:

Hi everyone.  Just connected my Rogers Ignite 150u service and put the modem in bridge mode and followed the suggestions on here for getting ipv6 working on my pfsense.  Just one question about the prefix delegation.  Should I be getting a /56 assigned to me as it appears that I'm only seeing a /64 assignment on my LAN interface.  On the WAN interface I put 56 as the prefix size but when I check the status of the interface for my LAN it shows the assigned prefix to be a /64.

Maybe I'm not seeing in the right section but how do I see what /56 I've been assigned?

I Plan to Stick Around

@lobotiger wrote:
@JKnott wrote:

@lobotiger wrote:

Maybe I'm not seeing in the right section but how do I see what /56 I've been assigned?

On the WAN page, you can choose the prefix size in "DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation size".  Your choices range from /64 to /48.  The largest used to be /56.  I wonder if they increased the prefix to /48?  If so, then you'd get 65,536 /64s.  After you have your prefix set, you can go into the LAN settings and choose which /64 you want to use.  Perhaps, as an experiment, you can choose /48 and see how high your LAN prefixes go.  With a /56, I get only 0 - ff.  With a /48, it should go up to ffff.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Oh I think I get what you mean for the LAN interface.  In the Track IPv6 Interface there's the Prefix ID field and it tells me I have options from 0 - FF.  Since it's Hex, I would imagine I can just go through the different values to use the different /64s that have been assigned from the /56?

I Plan to Stick Around

@lobotiger wrote:

Oh I think I get what you mean for the LAN interface.  In the Track IPv6 Interface there's the Prefix ID field and it tells me I have options from 0 - FF.  Since it's Hex, I would imagine I can just go through the different values to use the different /64s that have been assigned from the /56?

That is correct.  However, while you're in there, try a /48 and see if your choices go up to ffff.

I Plan to Stick Around

@JKnott wrote:

@lobotiger wrote:

That is correct.  However, while you're in there, try a /48 and see if your choices go up to ffff.

I checked and it's still just /56, so forget about the /48.  How will we ever get by with only 4.72236648287e+21 addresses???  Smiley Wink

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know!   I am using the first 10 addresses of the first /64 in the \/56 Rogers allocates.   I guess that means my IPV6  carbon  footprint is very small and I don't need to buy a hybrid car?