Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

Hey guys, I got a quick question I just setup a pfsense box running pfsense 2.3.3

My computer will sometimes get an ipv6 address, and sometimes wont. I Followed the settings @RogersDave posted in Message 325, but still have this issue.

I goto test-ipv6.com and ipv6-test.com and both fail saying only ipv4. but sometimes they both pass and say I have ipv6. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se have a read thru the following thread:

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=119944.0

You could also navigate to the PfSsense IPV6 section of the forum and use the search term "Rogers", minus the quote marks of course to see what else comes up in that section of the forum that is related to Rogers. 

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?board=52.0

I seem to recall that @JKnott posted a comment recently that provided an additional instruction for IPV6 operation.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@gp-se

Steps:

1. System / Advanced / Networking: Allow IPv6 Enabled/Checked
  2. Interfaces/WAN: Setup WAN interface for DHCP6 per the instructions from Dave/JKnott
    1. My configuration differs a little as I don't use IPv4 connectivity as the parent interface - I added a System / Routing / Gateway specifically for IPv6 to my setup
  3. Interfaces/LAN: Setup LAN/VLAN interface for Track Interface: WAN
  4. Diagnostics/Reboot: Reboot box (there's this issue with radvd/dhcp6, and instead of doing multiple things, just reboot)
  5. Services/DHCPv6 Server & RA
    1. Setup Router Advertisements  for your LAN/VLAN
      1. Choose a Router Mode for your devices (if you need a recommendation, let us know)
      2. For DNS, use same settings as DHCPv6 server
    2. Setup DHCPv6 Server for your LAN/VLAN
      1. Enable the Server, and give it a range
      2. Leave the DNS fields blank to use the system's DNS (unbound  / DNS Resolver)
  6. Firewall / Rules / WAN
    1. Setup a rule to allow unsolicited inbound IPv6 ICMP from Any to Any
  7. Firewall / Rules / LAN/VLAN
    1. Setup rules to allow IPv6 traffic from your devices
  8. Diagnostics/Reboot: Reboot box (clears all states & restarts all services)
  9. Your firewall should now have a 2607:f798 address on the WAN interface, and a 2607:fea8 on the LAN/VLAN interface, and your PC should now have a 2607:fea8 address(es) based on the Router Mode you chose.
  10. Make changes to your PC to allow unsolicited inbound IPv6 ICMP (are you using Windows 10?)

ipv6-test.com should give you at least 19/20.

test-ipv6.com should give you 10/10.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Double_K

Thanks I got it working by going to:

System -> General Setup: disabled the DNS Forwarder, and now it's working!

I Plan to Stick Around

The DNS forwarder should have nothing to do with your problem.  DNS is used to determine the IP address for a host name.  It has nothing to do with whether IPv6 is available or not.

BTW, in the pfSense forum, they recommend DNS resolver be used instead of forwarder.  You need one or the other to provide IP addresses for devices on your local network.

@gp-se wrote:

@Double_K

Thanks I got it working by going to:

System -> General Setup: disabled the DNS Forwarder, and now it's working!

@gp-se That's interesting, as that option only disables DNS resolution for the firewall box itself.  Here's mine (and I get 19/20 on ipv6-test.com);

2017-03-16.png

Now, on yours, instead of the firewall asking itself (127.0.0.1) to resolve a DNS name (using DNS Resolver / unbound), it's going directly out to DNS servers on the Internet (not a bad thing in the beginning, but will limit your use of hostnames & Aliases for firewall rules on your local network).  Do you have Services / DNS Resolver enabled? (it should be by default on install of 2.3.3, unless you've disabled it)  Also check that Services / DNS Forwarder is disabled (it should be by default on install of 2.3.3).  There could be an issue with your DNS Resolver config (which we can solve in a separate thread from the IPv6 thread if you want to create a new thread).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the DNS settings werent the issue, I tried it again a few times after and it stopped working agin. I'm wondering in my Wireslss Access Point has something to do with it.

here are the options in my TP Link:

IPv6 LAN

or 

Is that TPLink a WAP or a Router with WiFi?

I'm not familiar with TPLink, but in WAP mode, it should not be doing anything with IPv6.  What you don't want is 2 devices on your network doing Router Advertisements (TPLink & pfSense).

I Plan to Stick Around

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Disable IPv6 Connectivity to an Xbox (CODA -4582)

Unfortunately P2P gaming across different platforms/companies/servers etc hasn't caught on yet with IPv6 and often results in not being able to connect with other users.  I had an older Hitron router but I was  told to upgrade to the Coda 4582 as it will allow me to disable IPv6 towards specfic devices.  I have yet to have any luck and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.