cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@sergeturgeon wrote:

> For your router's IPv6 IP, yes.

And, do you know the format?

I understand IPv6 addresses from the local LAN won't have a Rogers domain name but the router should  have a hostname.

My use-case is to establish a VPN connection to my home router using an IPv6 hostname instead of its IPv6 address. 

You should now have a host name based on the firewall/router and cable modem MAC addresses in the form:

CPE<router MAC address>-CM<modem MAC address>.cpe.net6.cable.rogers.com

I don't recall seeing this when I checked a few months ago.

JKnott

@RogersDave wrote:

Rogers IPv6 Settings for pFSense firewall

In WAN Interface menu:

• Use IPv4 connectivity as parent interface: yes
  • Request only a IPv6 prefix: no
  • DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation Size: 64
  • Send IPv6 prefix hint: yes

In LAN Interface menu:

• IPv6 Configuration Type: track interface
  • IPv6 Interface: WAN
  • IPv6 Prefix ID: 0

In Advanced Settings / Network menu:

• Allow IPv6: enabled

pFSense may need to be rebooted for the configuration changes to take effect.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned how my prefix would change after something as simple as disconnecting/jreconnecting the WAN Ethernet cable.  I discovered the problem was caused by pfSense sending a DHCPv6 release.  This has since been corrected in pfSense v 2.3.3.  In Interfaces > WAN, under DHCP6 Client Configuration, enable: "Do not allow PD/Address release".  This will cause pfSense to stop sending the release.

JKnott

@JKnott wrote:

@sergeturgeon wrote:

> For your router's IPv6 IP, yes.

And, do you know the format?

I understand IPv6 addresses from the local LAN won't have a Rogers domain name but the router should  have a hostname.

My use-case is to establish a VPN connection to my home router using an IPv6 hostname instead of its IPv6 address. 

You should now have a host name based on the firewall/router and cable modem MAC addresses in the form:

CPE<router MAC address>-CM<modem MAC address>.cpe.net6.cable.rogers.com

I don't recall seeing this when I checked a few months ago.

I just checked and see the CPE MAC is different for IPv4 & IPv6.  The IPv4 CPE MAC reflects the WAN NIC MAC, but the  IPv6 CPE MAC is from the LAN NIC.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

IPV6 has been enabled for the CODA 4582!

just reboot the modem to get IPV6.

yyzsam
I plan to stick around

IPv6 Dual homing with Rogers and another ISP?

Now that Rogers has enabled IPv6 for the CODA, I'll have Rogers and TS handing out IPv6 to me.

Anyone one here have it successfuly running and routing properly in an active/active setup?

@yyzsam you must be running something like a PfSense type of router or an Asus router with dual wan enabled?  If its a PfSense type of router, you might be better off asking that question in the forum for that router.  

Double_K

@JKnott wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

Rogers IPv6 Settings for pFSense firewall

In WAN Interface menu:

• Use IPv4 connectivity as parent interface: yes
  • Request only a IPv6 prefix: no
  • DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation Size: 64
  • Send IPv6 prefix hint: yes

In LAN Interface menu:

• IPv6 Configuration Type: track interface
  • IPv6 Interface: WAN
  • IPv6 Prefix ID: 0

In Advanced Settings / Network menu:

• Allow IPv6: enabled

pFSense may need to be rebooted for the configuration changes to take effect.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned how my prefix would change after something as simple as disconnecting/jreconnecting the WAN Ethernet cable.  I discovered the problem was caused by pfSense sending a DHCPv6 release.  This has since been corrected in pfSense v 2.3.3.  In Interfaces > WAN, under DHCP6 Client Configuration, enable: "Do not allow PD/Address release".  This will cause pfSense to stop sending the release.

@JKnott I've tested "Use IPv4 connectivity as parent interface: no" and it works.  Any thoughts on why this would need to be set to yes?

JKnott

@Double_K wrote:

@JKnott I've tested "Use IPv4 connectivity as parent interface: no" and it works.  Any thoughts on why this would need to be set to yes?

Did you try rebooting after you did that?  pfSense has to get it's prefix from somewhere.  With Rogers, it uses DHCPv6 prefix delegation.  If you don't get it from the IPv4 interface, where will you get it?

yyzsam
I plan to stick around
My research told it wouldn't work but last night I quickly set it up and it appears to be working OK but there are some oddities or maybe because I'm new to IPv6 and don't fully understand.

It isn't assigning 2 IPv6 addresses from each provider to all clients, it's just using Rogers at the moment but I am able to route traffic across each ISP. My research said this most likely wouldn't be possible because the ISP wouldn't allow it.

Lot's of testing to do today.

BTW I am using Sophos UTM 9.x

JKnott

@yyzsam wrote:
My research told it wouldn't work but last night I quickly set it up and it appears to be working OK but there are some oddities or maybe because I'm new to IPv6 and don't fully understand.

It isn't assigning 2 IPv6 addresses from each provider to all clients, it's just using Rogers at the moment but I am able to route traffic across each ISP. My research said this most likely wouldn't be possible because the ISP wouldn't allow it.

Lot's of testing to do today.

BTW I am using Sophos UTM 9.x

I'm not sure what your question is.  It's certainly possible to assign multiple IPv6 addresses to an interface.  In fact, that makes it easy to move from one ISP to another without disruption.

Double_K

@JKnott wrote:

Did you try rebooting after you did that?  pfSense has to get it's prefix from somewhere.  With Rogers, it uses DHCPv6 prefix delegation.  If you don't get it from the IPv4 interface, where will you get it?

Yes, have rebooted a few times as I'm playing with Traffic Shaping.

On the WAN, I'm getting a 2607:f798 DHCP6 address every time, and on the VLANs, I'm getting 2607:fea8 PD addresses on all of them.

2017-02-24.png

I wonder if it works because I have a separate IPv6 Gateway setup from the IPv4 WAN_DHCP gateway

2017-02-24 (1).png

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Can someone confirm if these IPv6 settings are correct?  (These are the settings I've set on my Asus RT-AC68U router).  Thanks!

Connection Type: Native
DHCP-PD: Enable
Auto Config Setting: Stateless
Connect to DNS Server automatically: Enable
Enable Router Advertisement: Enable

@toolcubed the correct settings are posted in message 325

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Perfect, thanks!

Lumute
I plan to stick around

Hi All,

Is there any way to get the /56 if your firewall / router does not provide the option to specify a size hint for the prefix delegation? is there any way to request Rogers to give you the /56 by default from the DHCPv6 server?

Thanks!

jseller
I plan to stick around

IPV6 and Netgear R7000 router

Hi,

I noticed that IPV6 has been enabled for my CODA-4582 modem. How do I set this up on this router? I have CODA-4582 on bridge mode and my router has the Merlin firmware. The IPV6 connection type in my router config has a lot of options (Native, Static, Passthrough, etc.). I tried Native and I scored 19/20 using the IP test but it doesn't seem to improve my internet experience.

Here are a few of the settings that I have on my router for IPV6:

DHCP-CD (Enable/Disable)

Release prefix on exit (Enable/Disable)

Auto Config Setting (Stateless/Stateful)

Connect to DNS server automatically (Enable/Disable)

Enable Router Advertisement (Enable/Disable)

coldkick
I've been here awhile

Hey. I used to have IPv6 working the last time I checked which would have been December or early January, but now it appears to be extremely flakey or not working at all.

I have the new CODA-4582 with the ASUS RT-AC5300 in front.

My settings are as follows:

CODA-4582 is on 2.0.10.24 FW and in bridged mode.

RT-AC5300 using ASUSWRT-Merlin 380.65

IPV6 Settings:

Connection Type: Native

PHCP-PD: Enable

Release prefix on exit: Enable

Auto-Configuration Setting: Stateless

Connect to DNS automatically: Disable

IPV6 DNS Server 1: 2001:4860:4860::8888

IPV6 DNS Server 2: 2001:4860:4860::8844

Enable Router Advertisment: Enable

Under Firewall:

Respond ICMP Echo from WAN: Yes

If I look at the system logs I can see the following (modified for privacy)

dhcp6 client: bound address 2607:f798:804:196:0:0:0:af45/128, prefix 2607:fea8:2960:feb::/64

My reverse hostnames matchup for the IPv4 and IPv6 as follows

IPv4: CPExxxxxxxxxxxx-CMxxxxxxxxxxxx.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com

IPv6: CPEyyyyyyyyyyyy-CMxxxxxxxxxxxx.cpe.net6.cable.rogers.com

The x and y hostname values are different. (Is this expected?)

But yet I get no IPv6 internet. Curious.

I just found out something interesting.. it appears that the first IPv6 request when I disable and re-enable the IPV6 on the ethernet adapter works but subsequent fail...

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@coldkick @jseller

settings for various brands of routers are posted in this message: 325

coldkick
I've been here awhile

I'm beginning to think the IPv6 issue is device specific. I can ping successfully from the asus router and from my laptop but the network adapter on my desktop can only do a successful request once. Could it be an anitivirus firewall rule that's incorrectly rejecting? I usde Bitdefender on my desktop.

@coldkick

@coldkick wrote:

I'm beginning to think the IPv6 issue is device specific. I can ping successfully from the asus router and from my laptop but the network adapter on my desktop can only do a successful request once. Could it be an anitivirus firewall rule that's incorrectly rejecting? I usde Bitdefender on my desktop.

it could be a firewall or antivirus issue for sure. Disable them for testing and see what happens. If using the built in Windows 10 Firewall you need to disable ICMP filtering on ipv6. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc972926(v=ws.10).aspx

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Hey guys, I got a quick question I just setup a pfsense box running pfsense 2.3.3

My computer will sometimes get an ipv6 address, and sometimes wont. I Followed the settings @RogersDave posted in Message 325, but still have this issue.

I goto test-ipv6.com and ipv6-test.com and both fail saying only ipv4. but sometimes they both pass and say I have ipv6.