Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 271

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status


@ffdhfhf wrote:

 

Hi Dave,

 

Whats the point of dynamic IPv6 prefixes? We have zillions of IPs there's no reason for dynamic anymore, most ISPs give our a static prefix and be done with it. Seems silly to me.

 

Shawn


 

The key to this is the DHCP Unique ID (DUID), which is provided by the customer and which the ISP is supposed to use to match the prefix to the customer.  If the DUID is changing then Rogers can't match the prefix to the customer.  If the DUID is constant, as it should be, then there may be a problem at Rogers.  I suspect there may be a problem at Rogers, based on my experience.  As I mentioned earlier, it generally works, even surviving changing the modem, but then simply briefly disconnecting the modem from my firewall/router may cause my prefix to change.  This shouldb't be happening, as I woudn't expect a a brief interuption to change the DUID, particularly when swapping the modem, with no connection at all for an hour did not cause a change, nor did rebooting my firewall/router for software updates..

 

So, bottom line, the prefixes should be static, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

 

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 271

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status


@RogersDave wrote:
The IPv6 prefix that you have on your LAN is technically dynamic but it is tied to your CPE device (the device you use as a gateway) and it's DUID. If the gateway keeps the same DUID, the IPv6 prefix should remain fairly stable like for IPv4 addresses.

 

If the DUID changes on every reboot, then your IPv6 prefix will also change. That effectively depends a lot on the gateway you use. I believe the Hitron have a fairly stable DUID but some other 3rd party routers might not.

 

Dave


I just checked DHCPv6 with Wireshark.  Here is what it says about my DUID:

DUID Time: May 23, 2016 11:14:39.000000000 EDT

 

This indicates my DUID has been consistent for 6 months, yet my prefix has changed a few times since then.  Perhaps a problem on Rogers' end?

 

Also, the server identifier shows this:

DUID Time: Jun 27, 2011 17:47:17.000000000 EDT

 

Curious.  Was Rogers running DUID back then?  I didn't think it was needed with 6rd or 6to4 tunnels.  Or was this used to get IPv6 addresses on the local Rogers network?  I don't remember if Rogers was offering IPv6 via tunnels back then.

 

 

 

Network Architect
Network Architect
Posts: 611

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

@JKnott,

 

I'd like to investigate this further. Would you be able to provide me via PM your DUID, modem MAC and old+new IPv6 prefix the next time it changes?

 

I'll discuss the case with a DHCP engineer but the above could help me investigate.

 

Dave

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 271

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status


@RogersDave wrote:

@JKnott,

 

I'd like to investigate this further. Would you be able to provide me via PM your DUID, modem MAC and old+new IPv6 prefix the next time it changes?

 

I'll discuss the case with a DHCP engineer but the above could help me investigate.

 

Dave


 

Yes, I can do that.  As I mentioned earlier, my prefix has survived rebooting my firewall/router and even replacing the modem, yet something as simple as briefly disconnecting the modem from firewall/router might trigger the change.

 

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 9

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status


@RogersDave wrote:
This is outside of my control but there is still a target to occur by the end of November.

This is a TARGET, not a confirmed date but it's better than no date 🙂


Any update?

Network Architect
Network Architect
Posts: 611

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

I followed up with the team and although there faced some delays, they are still making progress.

 

The whole process was a 2 step initative requiring first an upgrade to our DHCP servers followed by a reconfiguration to allow /56. From what I understand, the last DHCP server was upgraded last night and now they can go back and start enabling this feature, one server at the time.

 

Dave

Highlighted
I've Been Around
Posts: 1

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

I just had my internet connection go down this morning Sunday, Dec 4th around 10am, I did the basic troubleshooting and was wondering if my modem/account has been switched over to V6 only? What do I need to do to get my router ready to accept a V6 DHCP?

 

I plugged the modem into my laptop and disabled V6, and only left it for V4, it would not provide me a connection, however, the moment I enable V6 on the adapter, I am able to get to this site. 

 

I've called tech support 3x today saying they couldnt help me with my router since the modem was up and running on my laptop via V6. 

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 9

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status


@RogersDave wrote:

I followed up with the team and although there faced some delays, they are still making progress.

 

The whole process was a 2 step initative requiring first an upgrade to our DHCP servers followed by a reconfiguration to allow /56. From what I understand, the last DHCP server was upgraded last night and now they can go back and start enabling this feature, one server at the time.

 

Dave


Can you please let us know when the first 1 or 2 DHCP servers have been updated to allow for greater than a /64 for PD? Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 11

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status


@busterb wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

I followed up with the team and although there faced some delays, they are still making progress.

 

The whole process was a 2 step initative requiring first an upgrade to our DHCP servers followed by a reconfiguration to allow /56. From what I understand, the last DHCP server was upgraded last night and now they can go back and start enabling this feature, one server at the time.

 

Dave


Can you please let us know when the first 1 or 2 DHCP servers have been updated to allow for greater than a /64 for PD? Thanks.


You can't specify a DHCP server to use even if he tells you which one unless you're on the same 'LAN' area the DHCP server is on.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 9

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status


@ffdhfhf wrote:
You can't specify a DHCP server to use even if he tells you which one unless you're on the same 'LAN' area the DHCP server is on.

And? I don't care. It's irrelevant.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.