cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

@JKnott wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

It appears I'm now getting IPv6 on my phone, but not yet with tethering.

I now see I'm only getting an IPv6 address, no IPv4.  However, I am able to access IPv4 sites, so at least some of 464XLAT is working.  However, tethered devices can only reach IPv4 sites.  When will they be able to get IPv6?

@JKnott,

We do support IPv6 for tethered devices at the network level (when the device established a bearer on the ltedata.apn for tethering, we provide both IPv4 and IPv6). Support of IPv6 for tethered devices is however not widespread and some devices support it correctly while some others don't.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

@RogersDave wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

It appears I'm now getting IPv6 on my phone, but not yet with tethering.

I now see I'm only getting an IPv6 address, no IPv4.  However, I am able to access IPv4 sites, so at least some of 464XLAT is working.  However, tethered devices can only reach IPv4 sites.  When will they be able to get IPv6?

@JKnott,

We do support IPv6 for tethered devices at the network level (when the device established a bearer on the ltedata.apn for tethering, we provide both IPv4 and IPv6). Support of IPv6 for tethered devices is however not widespread and some devices support it correctly while some others don't.

I have a Google Nexus 5 and the APN is "ltemobile.apn".  Should I change that to ltedata?

@RogersDave does devices use something like Neighbor Discovery relay to use the /64 it get on the LTE interface for tethering of other devices?

So that each devices on LAN will get an /64 address from the main LTE WAN inteface on the hotspot?

@JKnott wrote:

I have a Google Nexus 5 and the APN is "ltemobile.apn".  Should I change that to ltedata?

You Nexus should be configured with APN ltemobile.apn with APN Type "default,mms,supl" and another APN ltedata.apn with APN Type "dun". The second APN might not be visible but that is the default configuration on Android that pushes tethering traffic to ltedata.apn.

Now if your traffic was all going through ltemobile.apn (even for tethering), you wouldn't have an IPv4 at all.

If I recall correctly, the Nexus 5 does not support IPv6 tethering at all which explains why you only have IPv4 on your tethered devices.

Dave

@HeavyMetal wrote:

@RogersDave does devices use something like Neighbor Discovery relay to use the /64 it get on the LTE interface for tethering of other devices?

So that each devices on LAN will get an /64 address from the main LTE WAN inteface on the hotspot?

It is implementation specific but from what we have observed yes it looks like this. IPv6 prefix delegation on 3G/LTE was standardized only recently by 3GPP and is not well supported by equipment and device vendors at this point.

JKnott

@RogersDave wrote:

@JKnott wrote:

You Nexus should be configured with APN ltemobile.apn with APN Type "default,mms,supl" and another APN ltedata.apn with APN Type "dun". The second APN might not be visible but that is the default configuration on Android that pushes tethering traffic to ltedata.apn.

Now if your traffic was all going through ltemobile.apn (even for tethering), you wouldn't have an IPv4 at all.

If I recall correctly, the Nexus 5 does not support IPv6 tethering at all which explains why you only have IPv4 on your tethered devices.

Dave

I see the ltemobile.apn, with type default,mms,supl and protocol IPv4/IPv6.

It's a shame the N5 doesn't support IPv6 tethering, as T-Mobile developed 464XLAT using one.  How about the Pixel?  I'm thinking of getting one of those.

busterb
I plan to stick around

RogersDave wrote: 

That is correct. We have performed the required testing in lab to enable prefix delegation for any size between /56 and /64 (as requested by the CPE device). Hitron gateways are requesting /64 today and will continue for the time being but 3rd party routers and other customer devices will be allowed to request a larger prefix.

I don't have a schedule to enable this yet but it should happen this fall.

Dave

Heard anything about when this will be rolled out?

ffdhfhf
I plan to stick around

Hello @RogersDave 

Just to be clear, the LAN IPv6 prefix is static not dynamic? If I decide to move my network to IPv6, I still want to be able to ssh into my VM from home anywhere outside, this would effectively give me a static IP that is externally connected.

Thanks,

Shawn

@busterb wrote:

RogersDave wrote: 

That is correct. We have performed the required testing in lab to enable prefix delegation for any size between /56 and /64 (as requested by the CPE device). Hitron gateways are requesting /64 today and will continue for the time being but 3rd party routers and other customer devices will be allowed to request a larger prefix.

I don't have a schedule to enable this yet but it should happen this fall.

Dave

Heard anything about when this will be rolled out?

This is outside of my control but there is still a target to occur by the end of November.

This is a TARGET, not a confirmed date but it's better than no date 🙂

@ffdhfhf wrote:

Hello @RogersDave 

Just to be clear, the LAN IPv6 prefix is static not dynamic? If I decide to move my network to IPv6, I still want to be able to ssh into my VM from home anywhere outside, this would effectively give me a static IP that is externally connected.

Thanks,

Shawn

The IPv6 prefix that you have on your LAN is technically dynamic but it is tied to your CPE device (the device you use as a gateway) and it's DUID. If the gateway keeps the same DUID, the IPv6 prefix should remain fairly stable like for IPv4 addresses.

If the DUID changes on every reboot, then your IPv6 prefix will also change. That effectively depends a lot on the gateway you use. I believe the Hitron have a fairly stable DUID but some other 3rd party routers might not.

Dave

JKnott

@RogersDave wrote:

@ffdhfhf wrote:

Hello @RogersDave 

Thanks,

Shawn

The IPv6 prefix that you have on your LAN is technically dynamic but it is tied to your CPE device (the device you use as a gateway) and it's DUID. If the gateway keeps the same DUID, the IPv6 prefix should remain fairly stable like for IPv4 addresses.

If the DUID changes on every reboot, then your IPv6 prefix will also change. That effectively depends a lot on the gateway you use. I believe the Hitron have a fairly stable DUID but some other 3rd party routers might not.

Dave

I find my prefix generally stays the same, but on occasion it changes.  When it changes, all it takes is a momentary disconnection of the Ethernet cable between my modem & firewall/router.  I doubt that should cause a DUID change.  I'm running pfSense and usually, even rebooting won't change the prefix, but sometimes, a bried disconnect will.  Strange.

ffdhfhf
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

@ffdhfhf wrote:

Hello @RogersDave 

Thanks,

Shawn

Dave

Hi Dave,

Whats the point of dynamic IPv6 prefixes? We have zillions of IPs there's no reason for dynamic anymore, most ISPs give our a static prefix and be done with it. Seems silly to me.

Shawn

JKnott

@ffdhfhf wrote:

Hi Dave,

Whats the point of dynamic IPv6 prefixes? We have zillions of IPs there's no reason for dynamic anymore, most ISPs give our a static prefix and be done with it. Seems silly to me.

Shawn

The key to this is the DHCP Unique ID (DUID), which is provided by the customer and which the ISP is supposed to use to match the prefix to the customer.  If the DUID is changing then Rogers can't match the prefix to the customer.  If the DUID is constant, as it should be, then there may be a problem at Rogers.  I suspect there may be a problem at Rogers, based on my experience.  As I mentioned earlier, it generally works, even surviving changing the modem, but then simply briefly disconnecting the modem from my firewall/router may cause my prefix to change.  This shouldb't be happening, as I woudn't expect a a brief interuption to change the DUID, particularly when swapping the modem, with no connection at all for an hour did not cause a change, nor did rebooting my firewall/router for software updates..

So, bottom line, the prefixes should be static, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

JKnott

@RogersDave wrote:

Dave

I just checked DHCPv6 with Wireshark.  Here is what it says about my DUID:

DUID Time: May 23, 2016 11:14:39.000000000 EDT

This indicates my DUID has been consistent for 6 months, yet my prefix has changed a few times since then.  Perhaps a problem on Rogers' end?

Also, the server identifier shows this:

DUID Time: Jun 27, 2011 17:47:17.000000000 EDT

Curious.  Was Rogers running DUID back then?  I didn't think it was needed with 6rd or 6to4 tunnels.  Or was this used to get IPv6 addresses on the local Rogers network?  I don't remember if Rogers was offering IPv6 via tunnels back then.

@JKnott,

I'd like to investigate this further. Would you be able to provide me via PM your DUID, modem MAC and old+new IPv6 prefix the next time it changes?

I'll discuss the case with a DHCP engineer but the above could help me investigate.

Dave

JKnott

@RogersDave wrote:

@JKnott,

I'd like to investigate this further. Would you be able to provide me via PM your DUID, modem MAC and old+new IPv6 prefix the next time it changes?

I'll discuss the case with a DHCP engineer but the above could help me investigate.

Dave

Yes, I can do that.  As I mentioned earlier, my prefix has survived rebooting my firewall/router and even replacing the modem, yet something as simple as briefly disconnecting the modem from firewall/router might trigger the change.

busterb
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:
This is outside of my control but there is still a target to occur by the end of November.

This is a TARGET, not a confirmed date but it's better than no date 🙂

Any update?

I followed up with the team and although there faced some delays, they are still making progress.

The whole process was a 2 step initative requiring first an upgrade to our DHCP servers followed by a reconfiguration to allow /56. From what I understand, the last DHCP server was upgraded last night and now they can go back and start enabling this feature, one server at the time.

Dave

I just had my internet connection go down this morning Sunday, Dec 4th around 10am, I did the basic troubleshooting and was wondering if my modem/account has been switched over to V6 only? What do I need to do to get my router ready to accept a V6 DHCP?

I plugged the modem into my laptop and disabled V6, and only left it for V4, it would not provide me a connection, however, the moment I enable V6 on the adapter, I am able to get to this site. 

I've called tech support 3x today saying they couldnt help me with my router since the modem was up and running on my laptop via V6. 

busterb
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

I followed up with the team and although there faced some delays, they are still making progress.

The whole process was a 2 step initative requiring first an upgrade to our DHCP servers followed by a reconfiguration to allow /56. From what I understand, the last DHCP server was upgraded last night and now they can go back and start enabling this feature, one server at the time.

Dave

Can you please let us know when the first 1 or 2 DHCP servers have been updated to allow for greater than a /64 for PD? Thanks.

ffdhfhf
I plan to stick around

@busterb wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

Dave

Can you please let us know when the first 1 or 2 DHCP servers have been updated to allow for greater than a /64 for PD? Thanks.

You can't specify a DHCP server to use even if he tells you which one unless you're on the same 'LAN' area the DHCP server is on.