Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

Commercial grade routers are often called "layer 3 switches" as much of the routing work is done in dedicated hardware, rather than software.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@VivienM wrote:

@djubre wrote:

pfSense is a good idea. I might acquire an old small form factor PC to be my firewall.

I have been running PC-based devices as my main NAT router for 15 years now. Wow, do I ever feel old...

I would be very nervous about any 'older' PC as a firewall, or really any PC if you're going to be getting into gigabit world. 

Speaking of old, the last time I ran a PC as a firewall, it was a Pentium with 512M of RAM running OpenBSD 3.0.. Good times.

The performance point is well taken, and in most cases a commercial router would be cheaper to acquire and operate in the long run. Especially for those of us paying Ontario electricity rates.

But I'd rather have Hitron fix the IPv6 firewall in the modem firmware, and benefit everyone... 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

I'll try to reach 2nd level on Monday. And yes everything was perfectly fine since service was started somewhere back in June, I don't check it every day and IPv4 runs fine so just noticed couple of days ago. I'll post an update when have it.

P.s. Thanks for the edit, completely skiiped my mind.

Thanks,

K.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

how fast is the CPU in the Hitron? I can do very fast wired speeds on the Hitron, so I'm worried the Asus 1900P wont be able to match speed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That all depends on how many and what type of functions are running on the router.  If you followed any of the discussions above, you might want to consider something like a pfsense router, microtik, etc.  Personal opinion, in order to run high data rates and functions like packet inspection, traffic monitoring etc, etc, its going to take a router with a lot more horsepower than is currently available on the consumer market.  It looks like consumer routers are topping out at 1.7 Ghz processors at the current time.  Is that fast enough to run whatever functions you would like to use?  Thats the question. 

I'd like to see examples of data rates for routers like pfsense, microtik, and others, along with a list of the functions that are running for security purposes and the processor speeds.  I'd specifically like to see those rates from individuals running the 1 Gb/s plan.  That would give people like yourself, and myself as well, some idea of the capability of those routers.  I'll post the data rates thru my RT-AC68U tomorrow, both IPV4 and IPV6 for comparison purposes.  IPV6 rates take a real beating when some of the AI Protection is up and running. 

If you think down the road, possibly near road, Docsis 3.1 will be emerging with multi-gigabit speeds.  That's going to take serious horsepower to support multi-gig rates with various security functions running.  There is also the issue of multi-gig ports which @VivienM mentioned.  That's going be built into the motherboard or added with an expensive 10 Gig card.  There is also the issue of the recent spec IEEE approval of multi-gig data rate specs, specifically 2.5 over Cat 5e and 5 Mb/s over Cat 6.  When that percolates down into the consumer market, its going to make 1 Gb/s and multi Gb/s data rates easier to handle within local networks.  Hopefully it will reduce some of the cost as well.  Only problem is, its not here yet!

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/5gbps-ethernet-standard-details-8023bz/

So, what to do at the present time?  Consider restricting your search to routers that have 1.7 Ghz processors if you're looking to go with a consumer type of router.  Here's an example of what Asus is currently working on:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/%5Bmaylyn-networking-previe...

I think Netgear has 1.7 Ghz processors in some of their products, but, with their filtering of IPV6 ICMP I wouldn't go there. 

Or, consider biting the bullet and build a router with 10Ge ports onboard.  That should suffice well down the road.  

Maybe others might have some suggestions??

Network Architect
Network Architect

@Pashator

Are you still experiencing an issue with IPv6? I'd like to look into that if you do.

Would you mind sending me a private message @RogersDave with the full traceroute (including your modem IP) and your modem MAC address.

Thanks

Dave

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave wrote:

@Pashator

Are you still experiencing an issue with IPv6? I'd like to look into that if you do.

Would you mind sending me a private message @RogersDave with the full traceroute (including your modem IP) and your modem MAC address.

Thanks

Dave

I don't know if it's related, but a deli I frequent, at Steeles & Yonge, also has experienced IPv6 issues, starting a few weeks ago.  That location is not far from Richmond Hill.

BTW, that deli is where I first noticed Rogers had IPv6 avaialble.

Network Architect
Network Architect

It may or may not be related but if they are experiencing IPv6 issues, I'm interested in hearing about it.

It might be harder to provide the modem MAC address in that case but a full traceroute and maybe the IP your computer/device was getting would be a good starting point for me to investigate.

Dave

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave wrote:

It may or may not be related but if they are experiencing IPv6 issues, I'm interested in hearing about it.

It might be harder to provide the modem MAC address in that case but a full traceroute and maybe the IP your computer/device was getting would be a good starting point for me to investigate.

Dave

OK.  However, it will be Saturday before I'm back there.  I'll have to take my notebook computer, as I normally use my tablet.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

If you think down the road, possibly near road, Docsis 3.1 will be emerging with multi-gigabit speeds.  That's going to take serious horsepower to support multi-gig rates with various security functions running.  There is also the issue of multi-gig ports which @VivienM mentioned.  That's going be built into the motherboard or added with an expensive 10 Gig card.  There is also the issue of the recent spec IEEE approval of multi-gig data rate specs, specifically 2.5 over Cat 5e and 5 Mb/s over Cat 6.  When that percolates down into the consumer market, its going to make 1 Gb/s and multi Gb/s data rates easier to handle within local networks.  Hopefully it will reduce some of the cost as well.  Only problem is, its not here yet!

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/5gbps-ethernet-standard-details-8023bz/

That's nothing.  100Gb is on the way!

http://www.eweek.com/networking/broadcom-begins-sampling-64-port-100gbe-ethernet-chips.html?utm_medi...

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.