Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

What protocol 41 issue?  I ran a 6in4 tunnel for about 6 years.  It worked fine.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@JKnott wrote:

What protocol 41 issue?  I ran a 6in4 tunnel for about 6 years.  It worked fine.

The tunnels being artificially limited to 25 Mbps. Doesn't happen with TPIA based service or elsewhere.

I Plan to Stick Around

I didn't experience that.  I found a speed test site that showed similar performance to speedtest on IPv6.  It was a bit slower, but not a lot, as to be expected with 1280 byte MTU,  What tunnel provider were you using?  I was with gogonet/freenet6.

I Plan to Stick Around

@JKnott wrote:

I didn't experience that.  I found a speed test site that showed similar performance to speedtest on IPv6.  It was a bit slower, but not a lot, as to be expected with 1280 byte MTU,  What tunnel provider were you using?  I was with gogonet/freenet6.

You're lucky if you haven't. Hurricane Electric. The provider didn't matter.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi RogersDave

I've verified that my IPv6 prefix changes, sometimes on it's own and sometimes when I disconnect/reconnect the modem from my firewall.  I thought the DUID was supposed to ensure a consistent prefix.

I'm running pfSense for my router/firewall.

I Plan to Stick Around

Excuse my limited knowledge of this subject.  If I go to network properties and uncheck TCP/IPv6 I am able to access IPv6 sites.  I used test-ipv6.com.  It says I am using Teredo, which I gather is a "tunnel" for carrying ipv6 over or in ipv4.  If I check TCP/IPv6, I cannot access IPv6 sites.  This seems backwards in my mind?  Also, the test site says your DNS server appears to have IPv6 internet access.  Just curious to know what I am missing here.  Can I run a "pure" IPv6 connection?  Whether  I enable or disable  TCP/IPv6, Ethernet Status still reports ... IPv6 connectivity:  No Network Access.  Curiousity is killing me Smiley Wink

Rogers CGN3ACR

I Plan to Stick Around

If you're using Teredo, you're not using IPv6 from Rogers.  You're using a tunnel, which encapsulates IPv6 in an IPv4 packet to the Teredo server.  One thing you can do is check your IPv4 address.  When I got IPv6 my IPv4 address changed to a different subnet..  As for checking IPv6, I suspec it's trying to use native IPv6, apparently unavailable,  instead of the Teredo tunnel.  You also need to have the correct modem.  Many will not work with IPv6.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm going to assume that you have IPV6 checked as available in the adapter properties and that you have completed a reboot if you needed to select IPV6 for use.  

1.  Can you have a look at the back of the modem for the product sticker and let us know what version of modem you have:  CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR, CGN3ACSMR, or CGNM-3552. 

2.  Please log into the modem and check the Software Version (firmware) that is loaded, as indicated on the Status page that comes up when you log into the modem.  Note for the CGN3ACSMR, Firmware Version 4.5.8.22 is now being distributed across the network.  

If you have 4.5.8.21 or 4.5.8.22 loaded, you should have done a factory reset to ensure that IPV6 works properly and that your download rates are what they should be.  If a factory reset is not done, you can still show an IPV6 address in the WAN Address space on the STATUS page, but, IPV6 will not work properly.  

After running a factory reset, if you log into the modem once again, the WAN Address in the upper right hand corner should show an IPV4 address, in the form 192.168.100.001, and, an IPV6 address in the form 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334.

After you see that, run a test at ipv6-test.com.  You should end up with a result of 19/20.  The missing element should be the IPV6 hostname which Rogers is not supplying.  If you end up with something less, such as a missing IPV6 ICMP element, refresh the page.  Do that more than a couple of times to ensure that the results are consistent.  I've found inconsistent results from that site in the past, so I always run it a few times.

If you find that you definitely have a problem with IPV6 ICMP, there will probably be a couple of reasons.  The Windows firewall and perhaps your antivirus firewall may require an exception to allow IPV6 ICMP.  Do this only for IPV6 ICMP as IPV6 requires ICMP in order to function correctly.  Don't do this for IPV4.  If you find that you have to make any additions to the firewall rules, reboot the pc and then run the ipv6-test.com tests again to confirm that IPV6 ICMP is functioning.  

The other reason is that you might be running a Netgear router.  If so, Netgear apparently filters IPV6 ICMP and has not indicated a willingness to change that policy.  So, that is something to keep in mind.  

Please let us know the answers for 1 & 2 above and we'll go from there. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JKnott, native IPV6 is up and running on the network.  The router would have to be set to use it.  

I Plan to Stick Around

It's a CGN3ACR.  The firmware is only 4.2.8.12

Is that the issue?

Thanks so much for your detailed response!