Rogers IPv6 Status

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

@gcerullo wrote:

@sergeturgeon wrote:

And, do you know the format?

I understand IPv6 addresses from the local LAN won't have a Rogers domain name but the router should  have a hostname.

My use-case is to establish a VPN connection to my home router using an IPv6 hostname instead of its IPv6 address. 

You are better off registering your own domain name and paying for a DNS service. The hostname for a Rogers' router WAN IPv6 address looks like this: 

CPE00-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-CM84-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX.cpe.net6.cable.rogers.com

Not very friendly.

If you know the IPv6 WAN address of your router you can find the hostname by doing a reverse lookup at this web site http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx

Well, what makes sense is to get another DNS provider, and then use a CNAME to the Rogers hostname. That way it avoids the mess of dynamic DNS (if you can even find a provider that does dynamic DNS on IPv6).

I Plan to Stick Around

I use a DNS and use an alias to my WAN side IPv6 & IPv4 addresses, but have to manually add the LAN IPv6 addresses.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave

One thing I've noticed is my IPv6 prefix changes, even if I do nothing more than briefly disconnect the modem.  I thought the DUID was supposed to prevent this.  I'm running pfSense  2.3.1-RELEASE-p5 for my firewall/router.

BTW, any idea on when larger prefixes will be available?  And IPv6 on cell phones?

tnx jk

I Plan to Stick Around

@JKnott wrote:

@RogersDave

One thing I've noticed is my IPv6 prefix changes, even if I do nothing more than briefly disconnect the modem.  I thought the DUID was supposed to prevent this.  I'm running pfSense  2.3.1-RELEASE-p5 for my firewall/router. 

You're the second person to mention that their IPv6 prefix is changing. There was an earlier post from someone named Raji in which he also mention his prefix changing after restarting his modem.

For the record, mine has stayed the same since IPv6 went active.

I Plan to Stick Around

Have your modem & firewall been up continuously?  My prefix changed when I did nothing more than put in a longer Ethernet patch cord.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I haven't made any physical changes but I have restarted it a number of times since going IPv6.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just did some testing, by disconnecting my modem from my firewall/router.  I noticed the WAN IPv6 address is changing, but the LAN prefix remains the same.  The WAN IPv4 address also remains the same.  I don't know why the WAN IPv6 is changing as it's assigned via DHCP and should have a lease time.

I wish I could run Wireshark on pfSense, as I did when my firewall was built on Linux.  Then I could examping the DHCPv6 packets to see what's happening.

I Plan to Stick Around

Simplest way to run Wireshark on pfSense is if your switch supports port mirroring. If not then try remote port monitoring over ssh with tcpdump.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am aware of using port mirroring.  However, that requires a managed switch between the modem and firewall and I don't have one.  With Wireshark it's very easy to capture what you want, with both capture and display filters.  It was possible to add Wireshark to an earlier version of pfSense, but I haven't been able to determine how with the current one.

I Plan to Stick Around

I would not install wireshark on my pfSense. Just do remote port capture

wireshark -k -i <(ssh root@192.168.x.x tcpdump -i em0 -U -w - not tcp port 22)